Defensive Carry banner

Who just got THE deal on a 1911?

2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  grouse 
#1 ·
I DID!!!

Was shopping around, looking to maybe grab that Rock Island 1911 I was looking at for SO long. Made a final stop at a local pawn shop and just happened to run into a guy that wanted to sell his 1911 for more than the store was willing to give him. Store offered him $300 for his Springfied Armory 1911-A1. Obviously, he couldn't take that.

We talked for a minute, I took a look at it, and offered him $450. He's had a little bit of work done to it, slightly softer spring because of his arthritis, new rear sight, said the ramp's been polished, has ambi-safety on it... nice. So, I not only got a 1911 like I've been wanting, I got a Springfield with a little work done for WAY less than it probably should have been sold for. :danceban:

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Revolver

Auto part

Trigger Gun accessory

(I don't talk about a 'new' gun without pictures- I know 'The Rules' :biggrin2: )

See less See more
Reactions: bmcgilvray
#3 ·
Thank you. I almost feel like I stole it, since the absolute base GI model Rock Island would have cost that much.

#6 ·
Just did a little research- AKA called Springfield- and found out that the gun was made/shipped in March 1990. It seems that it was shipped, then 'returned', then shipped again, all in March of 1990. So, it's almost as old as I am.

I have decided that I will share my 'birthday' with my 'new' 1911 since I don't know the exact date, and have convinced myself that it was all done on/by March 30th.

...I can't wait to get to the range Tuesday... Full report to follow.

#11 ·
Nice! Have fun with your new weapon!

#12 ·
Loads. And loads. And even more loads. :image035:

Guy at one of the other stores I stopped at was talking about how a 1911 would make a great 'range fun gun'. Oh how little he knew...

#15 ·
Wow :hand10:

Nice score :yup:

#20 ·
Im calling you very bad names for the deal you got....O GAWD I CANT STAND IT.....NICE.:35:

#26 ·
So, went to the range today...

Put about 50rnds through the 'new' Springfield, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I don't think a gun has ever made me this happy. I was honestly a little concerned about buying a used gun, especially one this old. But, it was the best thing ever; not a single problem with the gun.

I was feeding it 230gr FMJ ball ammo, and the recoil was light enough that my 14 year old sister (once I 'bullied' her into it) loved it. And now wants one for herself. :danceban: I have taught her well it seems. I was at the outdoor rifle range, so I didn't get very good accuracy results, but I felt comfortable with the results I did get. I believe that it will now spend a large part of it's life on my hip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.