Always Wear Your Eye Protection!

Always Wear Your Eye Protection!

This is a discussion on Always Wear Your Eye Protection! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a pic I took of myself today, after being struck by a bullet fragment. A fellow and his two sons were shooting the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Always Wear Your Eye Protection!

Exclamation Always Wear Your Eye Protection!

This is a pic I took of myself today, after being struck by a bullet fragment. A fellow and his two sons were shooting the steel dueling tree in the range next to mine when it happened. I was just positioning myself at the line, when WHACK! I got struck in the middle of the forehead. It did not really hurt, but I could tell right away that the impact drew blood. It was a good thing that I was wearing my Oakley C-Frames with ballistic lenses.

I waited a few minutes until the blood started to dry, and went on to shoot these from my M&P40 Pro Series... I still call it a good day!

Remember to ALWAYS wear your eye protection!
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Administrator
    Yep, looking at your forehead - that would have cost you an eyeball.

Good shooting.

Glad your ok. Good targets!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If you'd had yellow lenses, you could have seen that fragment coming, and ducked out of the way!

We get dinged occasionally at Cowboy Action matches. No eye protection, or inadequate eye protection = Match DQ

Glad you are okay.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Wow good thing your not 2 inches taller lol. Seriously tho glad to hear your alright
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Ouch! As a lefty I get popped in the face by brass every now and then when shooting.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Administrator
    Members really need to always wear quality "stress quality" eye protection.
    You only have two eyes and you really do need both for depth perception.
    Eyes are not like fingers...you have 10 of those.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Yup. I got a very old Winchester .22 rifle in a lot of stuff. Cleaned it and magnafluxed it, no problems. Chamber diameter was so loose the 6th round split at the rim and peppered me with powder. Eyes were protected, but left some tiny holes in my forehead. As it has no value, I'm gonna weld it to something in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Members really need to always wear quality "stress quality" eye protection.
    You only have two eyes and you really do need both for depth perception.
    Eyes are not like fingers...you have 10 of those.

I will be the first to warn of the dangers. I wear eye protection for everything now a days. Heed my words, wear them, you will not be sorry if you do. I lost my left eye about 16 years ago in a fishing accident. My eye was turned inside out and pulled from my head. Not a pleasant event, but an eye catching one LOL.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I probably should wear eye protection, but since I wear glasses already, it makes it irritating to place safety glasses in front of them. I realize my regular glasses offer some protection, and I suspect even in the case of the original post, would have worked since the projectile was probably incoming at a more or less straight angle to the face. Where the regular glasses fall short would be anything come in from a side angle.

I've thought about ordering some prescription safety glasses. Not just for shooting, but for other things I do that should have better eye protection.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I probably should wear eye protection, but since I wear glasses already, it makes it irritating to place safety glasses in front of them. I've thought about ordering some prescription safety glasses. Not just for shooting, but for other things I do that should have better eye protection.
    Aren't polycarbonate prescription glasses available? I wear tinted safety glasses on my motorcycle, even though the shield is usually down. Pinged a lot of big bugs and pebbles with them.

I had a cartridge head separation in my own gun once, that sent a nice bit of metal back against my forehead. Wouldn't take but a little shaving to do some real damage in an eye. That's why I wear eye protection.... over my regular glasses. You will never—but never—catch me shooting any other way, by choice anyway.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I will be the first to warn of the dangers. I wear eye protection for everything now a days. Heed my words, wear them, you will not be sorry if you do. I lost my left eye about 16 years ago in a fishing accident. My eye was turned inside out and pulled from my head. Not a pleasant event, but an eye catching one LOL.....
    I always wear glasses, but insist that they be of the stronger polycarbonate. I too have only one eye and don't want the other injured for obvious reasons.

I keep safety sports glasses in the car and at the side of the bed. Aside from eye protection, the strap keeps them from flying off my head, which is something I'm concerned about in any sudden SD activity. I want the glasses to remain on, I want them to be able to sustain a blow, and I want the small protection they provide from pepper an invader might bring with him.

When "working" I've had plenty of springs and small screws go flying. Plenty of liquids unintentionally hit my face. Glasses & safety glasses are a must for safely doing almost anything. If you don't need a prescription, get them in a plain lens for the protection.

I've had plenty of brass hit the wall, bounce, get caught between regular eyeglass frames and burn my eyelids. Learned pretty quick after a couple of incidents that regular glasses don't do the job at the range. And I've learned in my MA classes that regular glasses don't do the job their either.
    QKShooter and Harryball like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I always wear glasses, but insist that they be of the stronger polycarbonate. I too have only one eye and don't want the other injured for obvious reasons.

I keep safety sports glasses in the car and at the side of the bed. Aside from eye protection, the strap keeps them from flying off my head, which is something I'm concerned about in any sudden SD activity. I want the glasses to remain on, I want them to be able to sustain a blow, and I want the small protection they provide from pepper an invader might bring with him.

When "working" I've had plenty of springs and small screws go flying. Plenty of liquids unintentionally hit my face. Glasses & safety glasses are a must for safely doing almost anything. If you don't need a prescription, get them in a plain lens for the protection.

I've had plenty of brass hit the wall, bounce, get caught between regular eyeglass frames and burn my eyelids. Learned pretty quick after a couple of incidents that regular glasses don't do the job at the range. And I've learned in my MA classes that regular glasses don't do the job their either.
    Like you I have safety shields everywhere. The one that I havent thought of, is the ones at the side of the bed. I always figured if it hit the fan, I would take my chances. However, you have given me something to think about, and something to practice. Thanks Hopy for the Idea..I appreciate it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

That was a close one...safety first, always!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links