Defensive Carry banner

Uncased firearms in a vehicle, any other Wisconsinites unaware that the law changed?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SFury 
#1 ·
I found out something very interesting this weekend while deer hunting. In Wisconsin it is now legal to carry an uncased firearm (long guns included) in a vehicle. I knew that the law had changed in relation to handguns but was surprised to learn that it now applies to shotguns and rifles. Is this news to anyone else? I am glad for the change but surprised it never made the news. I believe it was part of ACT 15 according to the DNR website. Nice to see WI moving forward so quickly with less restrictive gun laws.

#2 ·
The law did not change for handguns prior to the new law being passed. Well, not unless you have a CC permit.

To be honest, it's a change that I'm not all that in favor of. It promotes road hunting, which the DNR has tried to stop for so many years now. It's really a step backwards in game management. It allows people to poach more easily. Which is happening already. I've seen the roadside gut piles left already.

The legislature has really overstepped their bounds again. They are making it so the DNR can't really do anything. Soon, we may as well disband it like we should the BATFE.

#4 ·
The law did not change for handguns prior to the new law being passed. Well, not unless you have a CC permit.

To be honest, it's a change that I'm not all that in favor of. It promotes road hunting, which the DNR has tried to stop for so many years now. It's really a step backwards in game management. It allows people to poach more easily. Which is happening already. I've seen the roadside gut piles left already.

The legislature has really overstepped their bounds again. They are making it so the DNR can't really do anything. Soon, we may as well disband it like we should the BATFE.
Sounds vaguely similar to the argument that allowing honest folks to carry weapons promotes murder.

Michael

#3 ·
Lived in Wisconsin for 65 years, Necedah area the last 6 before moving to Missouri. Have never seen gut piles along side the road, left by deer poachers. Poach a deer, drag it to the road and gut it, I don't think so. I for one am glad they changed the law, one less reason for DNR to give out high buck citations. :35:

#7 ·
Q2: Do firearms still have to be unloaded before they can be placed in or on a motorized vehicle, including ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and farm implements?

A: If the firearm is a loaded rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader, it can only be placed on the top or exterior of a vehicle which is stationary. It is important to be aware that it remains illegal to place a loaded rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader inside any motorized vehicle or to actually load any rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader while the firearm or person loading the firearm is still inside the vehicle. All long guns must be outside of a motorized vehicle before a person may load these firearms. A loaded firearm can be set down on the top or exterior of a stationary vehicle, but it must be unloaded before the firearm is placed inside or transported in or on the vehicle.

#9 ·
I understand the problem with the poachers. I believe that only as a last resort should laws restrict legal law abiding citizens in our effort to control poaching.
Are we at that last resort? Have we tried all other options?
Have we thrown the full weight of the law at those caught poaching? Did we confiscate the tools used in committing the crime? The weapons and vehicles for instance. Have we increased the fines in a effort to deter would be poachers?
Only if none of the harsh measures enacted against the poacher work should we even consider restricting the rights of honest citizens.

Michael

#10 ·
The problem is, we have not had a Governor willing to increase the number of wardens. So, until my state does, yes, we will be in a perpetual problem with poachers. We can't move away from the last resort now.

Heck, this year is unusually bad too. We had a massive number of wardens retire. So now, the new people are being trained in, and we don't actually have wardens in every DNR region. It's a one year bigger issue, but the results are not good.

People are road hunting where I am because the DNR already stated they have no trained personnel patrolling my region. They know they can get away with it this year especially.

This is a case where increasing the number of wardens would pay for itself through fines and seized equipment. To a point anyways, much like having IRS agents pays for itself up to a certain point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.