Defensive Carry banner

Taurus PT99 Thumb safety issues

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  zonker1986 
#1 ·
I've started carrying my older Taurus PT99 occasionally as it holds 14+1 and thus I don't feel the need to carry an extra magazine or two. This pistol this is a DA/SA gun with a large ambidextrous safety. I prefer to carry half cocked with safety on (up position). Problem I'm finding is that occasionally the safety will move to the off position. Pretty easy to do just with the friction of a any cover garment or sitting in a car. So guess it will become my next trade in. Any of you have similar experiences with this or other pistols?

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

See less See more
#3 ·
Safety feels fine it's just that it's big bulky thus easier to get to on purpose or accidentally. I assume you not interested in buying it either? LOL. It was my first pistol purchased used years ago. Still shoot well and is reliable but not good to carry in off safe condition.

Makes me appreciate the safety systems on my 1911's

PS: I've never carried this pistol before it used to be my nightstand gun only.

#4 ·
"and thus I don't feel the need to carry an extra magazine or two."

Just FYI you should always carry one extra magazine in case you experience a magazine failure and not just for the added available round count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.