Defensive Carry banner

Will NICS be up or down this "Black Friday"?

• Yes..I'l be able to buy a gun if I want to.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • No..I'll be hopelessly delayed because it will be down

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I dont care, nor do I want to know

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • If its down its a conspiracy, they dont want us owning guns...

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Does not affect me, I have a permit.

Votes: 25 53.2%

NICS

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  rogertc1 
#1 ·
Last year on what has become to be known as "Black Friday" the NICS system was down for most of the day.

Several "theorys" came up as to why, ranging from government conspiracys all the way to the fact that most of the Feds were "off from work" due to the fact that many places give the employees off or lots take a day of vacation.

I tend to beleive it is the latter, but nevertheless, many gun sales were ethier lost or seriously delayed due to the system being down on what has been reported to be one of the biggest shopping days of the year.

What do you think or predict will happen this year?

Has the NICS system been upgraded, or will we see the same thing happen again?

#4 ·
With everyone talking about cutting spending, cutting budgets, and cutting government; I honestly wouldn't expect any improvement in any government provided services. It can be argued that government services left a lot to be desired previously, but they are rapidly becoming worse not better.

#6 ·
Me either, but I would expect to be able to accept delivery of one if I wanted it. This is Texas and I have a concealed carry permit.

#7 ·
Really?

I wouldn't put much stock in the conspiracy theory; it's more likely that NICS is simply not built to handle the holiday spike in traffic. Remember, bandwidth and transactional capacity cost money and even govermental agencies have limitations on budget.

#8 ·
Your thread implies I would be out shopping on that day, Not gonna happen.

#11 ·
Most states still require NICS check before taking a firearm home regardless of permit/license.

Negative.
Many of the states, like mine, waive the requirement if you have a permit to tote. You still fill out the 4473, you just dont have to call it in and wait for approval.

#15 ·
Well, being an IT guy. I can say I'm not surprised it went down on a super high traffic day.

Also, being someone who can use vacation to not be there on a day like Black Friday, then I know how a skeleton staff can take some time to get the system back up and running. Although, it was probably an overload on some point in the path to the NICS system. Which means that once everything is back up, then you have to quarantine the system in a manner of speaking to try and alleviate some of the people trying to hammer the NICS servers so they don't crash again.

It's really an ugly situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.