Gsg 1911 22 slide cracked

This is a discussion on Gsg 1911 22 slide cracked within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; These guns got rave reviews when they first came out,unless they upgrade the slides to aluminum these guns will get the same reviews as Jennings,Cobra,and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gsg 1911 22 slide cracked

These guns got rave reviews when they first came out,unless they upgrade the slides to aluminum these guns will get the same reviews as Jennings,Cobra,and all the other junk guns out there.I've decided that my gun is going up for sale or trade in on a different firearm,I have a S&W 22a I can shoot the heck out of for 22 fun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    These guns got rave reviews when they first came out,unless they upgrade the slides to aluminum these guns will get the same reviews as Jennings,Cobra,and all the other junk guns out there.I've decided that my gun is going up for sale or trade in on a different firearm,I have a S&W 22a I can shoot the heck out of for 22 fun
    I hear great things about 22A,I am also looking into a Ruger Hunter but they are upwards of 500 bucks :(
    I agree.........GSG/ATI and the slurry of German 22s in my eyes are Jennings,Bryco's etc.....Potmetal slides !!!!!

I discovered some interesting information during my ongoing search concerning the split slides of the GSG 1911-22s. I came across a thread from a few years back, on another well known fire arms forum. The discussion was concerning Henry Rifles, and a senior member of the forum stated that he had emailed Anthony Imperato, president of Henry Rifles, requesting identification of the metal alloy used in the standard Henry Rifle (not the Golden Boys, which are a brass alloy). The poster said that he received a response from Mr. Imperato, who stated that it was ZAMAK-5. Interesting.

I happen to own a Henry Rifle, that I bought new, 12-years ago. Today, I tore down my Henry, and investigated the material. The rifle probably has 10,000 rounds through it, and has been sadly mistreated all it's life, yet there are no scars on the outside of the receiver (Much of the paint has worn off), and no indication of wear on any of the parts in direct contact with the steel. The steel bolt assembly slides on the ZAMAK-5 rails, and all the pins—including the lever-pivot-pin and hammer-pivot-pin, all high stress areas. The material is quite dense, very rigid, and when the receiver is suspended and struck with a steel rod, it rings like a bell.

When I first got my GSG, the first thing I did was do a fluff-n'-buff on it: polished the rails, ramp, and all bearing surfaces, with 600-grit emery. It was like polishing pure Tin. The paper loaded up immediately, and during cleaning after every firing session, I noticed gray filings everywhere along the frame and slide rails. Tapping the slide with a steel rod yielded a sound similar to tapping a Pewter butter dish. If the Henry rifle receiver is made of ZAMAK-5, then either GSG got a really poor batch of the stuff, and didn't bother stopping production, or the ATI guy is trying to blow smoke up my kilt, when he tells me that slide is made of ZAMAK-5. I have a feeling—since I haven't received a response to my Friday's email to the ATI "consumer care" guy, that they are going to resort to the "ignore him and maybe he'll go away" method of customer satisfaction concern. If they do, boy are they mistaken.

I will find, and join every firearms, or firearms related forum on the internet, and state my case on every topic session of their board. These people don't seem to be terribly serious about staying in business. Are they not aware of the power of the internet? If those of us who have experienced this split slide were to post photographs on all the firearms forums, and videos on YouTube, explaining our plight with ATI, how many more pistols do you think they would sell?
    "Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence

I ordered a Browning Buckmark......One of the better 22s on the market ....but your right Old Cormps,ATI does a pretty shabby job of handling warrentys and CSR which is half the reason I joined the cause

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    After somewhere between 15 to 20,000 rounds of Federal bulk box 550 count 22LR my gun quit working,as I loked it over to see why I couldn't pull the trigger I noticed the rear of the slide wasn't engaging the slide rails on the frame,I then looked at the top of the slide and on the top left side of the ejection port and moving rearward there was a crack in the slide.I'm charging my camera batteries and pics will be up later,I plan on calling ATI later and sending pics of the gun,the new SIg Sauer 1911-22 is the same gun with the Sig name
    This is yet another weapon manufactured by the airsoft giant Umarex.... same as the Walther 22 and the M&P 22....... made out of country using pot metal aka Zamak which is a zinc alloy. It has it's place on c02 and airsoft toys but NOT on firearms that generate chamber pressure ....... buyer beware

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This is yet another weapon manufactured by the airsoft giant Umarex.... same as the Walther 22 and the M&P 22....... made out of country using pot metal aka Zamak which is a zinc alloy. It has it's place on c02 and airsoft toys but NOT on firearms that generate chamber pressure ....... buyer beware
    P O T M E T A L = Jennings,Bryco,Cobra GSG,ATI,SIG,M&P22,WALTHER,COLT 22s!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE - Laid up for a week, then in North Carolina for a week, but thought y'all - especially all those nay-sayers who were absolutely, positively, without a doubt, sure that ATI would refuse to refund my money on the GSG 1911/22 that blew apart, would like to know what has developed. While I was in NC, I got an email from the VP in charge of sales at ATI, stating that they were going to not only refund the entire amount I paid for the pistol—including tax and transfer fee— but also would refund the money I paid for three extra magazines, if I returned them, and they are going to settle the serial number paperwork with my dealer. They even sent me return postage-paid labels for the pistol, and the magazines.

This afternoon I received verification from them that my check—for every penny I've spent on the pistol—would be cut and mailed this Friday. If there's one thing the old corps taught me was that once you go on the offensive, failure is not an option.

Hey, they've got a problem friends, and they appear to be hoping they can just sweep it under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCorps View Post
    UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE - Laid up for a week, then in North Carolina for a week, but thought y'all - especially all those nay-sayers who were absolutely, positively, without a doubt, sure that ATI would refuse to refund my money on the GSG 1911/22 that blew apart, would like to know what has developed. While I was in NC, I got an email from the VP in charge of sales at ATI, stating that they were going to not only refund the entire amount I paid for the pistol—including tax and transfer fee— but also would refund the money I paid for three extra magazines, if I returned them, and they are going to settle the serial number paperwork with my dealer. They even sent me return postage-paid labels for the pistol, and the magazines.

This afternoon I received verification from them that my check—for every penny I've spent on the pistol—would be cut and mailed this Friday. If there's one thing the old corps taught me was that once you go on the offensive, failure is not an option.

Hey, they've got a problem friends, and they appear to be hoping they can just sweep it under the rug.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links