Gsg 1911 22 slide cracked

This is a discussion on Gsg 1911 22 slide cracked within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After somewhere between 15 to 20,000 rounds of Federal bulk box 550 count 22LR my gun quit working,as I loked it over to see why ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gsg 1911 22 slide cracked

Gsg 1911 22 slide cracked

After somewhere between 15 to 20,000 rounds of Federal bulk box 550 count 22LR my gun quit working,as I loked it over to see why I couldn't pull the trigger I noticed the rear of the slide wasn't engaging the slide rails on the frame,I then looked at the top of the slide and on the top left side of the ejection port and moving rearward there was a crack in the slide.I'm charging my camera batteries and pics will be up later,I plan on calling ATI later and sending pics of the gun,the new SIg Sauer 1911-22 is the same gun with the Sig name
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Got to be careful using re-loads. Just kidding.
    They are good looking for the money. I'd say you put a lot of rounds through it. with their Lifetime Warranty it will be made well.

I want to pick up one of these with the price of ammo these days seems like it would be a great trainong piece and squirrel killer;)

Keep us posted how they take care of it for ya.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Good luck, hopefully it won't take too long to get fixed.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Its lifetime has expired!

Hope they take care of it for you--promptly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I couldn't get on yahoo yesterday,musta been all the internet shoppers,anyhow heres the pics

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

You're lucky it lasted as long as it did. Same metalurgy as a Matchbox car. We have them and Walther P22s and they all fail after high round counts.

Let us know how Customer Service treats you.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

OD*
    Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep a close eye on mine. I hope they rectify that for you in a timely fashion.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Send it back, they ought to give you a new slide.

Yep I'll be calling them monday,Something tells me mine isn't the only one the slide has cracked on

I've sort of wished for one of these .22 understudies of the 1911. Slide cracking would be a nuisance that would probably occur if I had one. Makes me want to stick to my self-imposed rule of "all-steel guns only" for the collection.

Of course steel is no guarantee that crack problems won't rear their ugly heads. I once traded into a WWII Ithaca contract 1911A1 and shot it a dab while I had it. On day I was idly looking it over and noticed a thin but discernible crack originating out of the same corner of the ejection port as is seen on your GSC .22. It only had traveled about a quarter of an inch and had not turned and gone straight up the slide in a gaping maw as is seen here.

Nothing left to do but strip it down and salvage all but that slide for parts. May have gotten $50 trade toward some gun show purchase out of that one in that long-ago time.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I too suffered the same fate. I received a light sand blast in the face from a foul round. (Remington golden bullet) I finised off the ammo I had with me at the range and noticed the cracked slide on my Sig Sauer 1911 22 when I took it apart for cleaning. I bought it new about a month ago. I shot about 1800 rounds, mostly Remington golden bullet. I've also fired Federal (with better performance).

IMAG0088.jpg

VIP Member
    Just throw some J-B Weld on it and keep shooting! J/K

Since it has a lifetime warranty it shouldn't be a problem. Keep us posted on how they treat you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Only after a month and 1800 rounds? I only shoot federal bulk ammo in my gun,To be perfectly honest I haven't returned mine to the Importer yet,I have an RA #,but I keep forgetting until I see it sitting on my reloading bench,I need to send my P11 in for a repair also.I need to put a reminder on my front door to look at before I leave the house

500 rounds instead of 15K

Hello folks. This is my first post, so hope I don't tangle it up.

Last evening I took my GSG 1911/22 to the range for the third time, and right around the 500-round mark, my son-in-law threw his hand up to his face and shouted an expletive. Laying the pistol on the bench, and turning around, he said: "Your pistol just blew up." A trickle of blood was running down his cheek, and we picked out a small frag of aluminum which had just penetrated the surface. If I don't screw-up attaching the photo, you'll see that my slide looks similar, but not quite as bad as the OP's. But with only 500 rounds through it. This is right scary, and not quite acceptable. I emailed some photos to ATI last night, and will be phoning them shortly.
    Attached Images
    "Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links