Shooting With Bifocals -- A Question

This is a discussion on Shooting With Bifocals -- A Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bifocals are a sign of aging, I guess, but trying to shoot accurately with them is a struggle. If I look through the lower lens, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting With Bifocals -- A Question

Shooting With Bifocals -- A Question

Bifocals are a sign of aging, I guess, but trying to shoot accurately with them is a struggle. If I look through the lower lens, I can align the sights, but the target is blurry. If I aim through the upper lens, then I can see the target clearly, but the sights blur. Right now, I find that using the upper lens to see the target, and trying to get some equal distance between the spots on the sights and align them works, but without the precision of pre-bifocals time.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Yes, they are a problem. I use graduated bifocals and since you are supposed to focus on the front-sight only (target is supposed to be fuzzy according to the pundits), you can compensate reasonably this way.

If I had two segment lenses, I don't know that I could shoot with them. If you can find an optometrist who understands the needs of shooters, perhaps s/he could help you. I have one such person I go to here, so you'll need to ask around to find the proper help in your area.

Assistant Administrator
    I use progressives but am not much better off - as if I bring head up to use intermediate lens area - it is not a good position.

I did get a special pair of glasses made with an extra ''D'' at top and these are useful but - cannot adapt to them for everyday wear - just too much difficulty managing with the over small distance area.

I try to practice more and more ''instinctive'' shooting, where sights are used (very blurry but - sorta useable) - but otherwise much more point approach.

My problem will only worsen and so this to me is way I have to go - not try to beat the problem, so much as adapt.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I also use the progressive lenses and the middle of the lens works very well for me. I can't focus on the front sight with the lower or the upper, so it is easy for me to get the right section in my field of vision. If I can see the front sight clearly I'm at the right spot. Also with the intermediate part of the lens I can still get a reasonable view of the target.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I spoke to my Eye Doctor just yesterday about this very problem. I can't see the front sight very well when looking through the top edge of my bi-focals (I'm right eye dominant/right hand shooter), so I asked her about this possible solution:

I work with an older fellow who, because he works on a lot of stuff above his head, had his bi-focals made with close-up modification on the bottom of the lense, and the top...he see's distance through the middle, and close-up through the top and bottom of the lense.

I asked the Doctor if I could get that modification for my right lense only, and she said "sure, no problem". I'm going back in 3 weeks, and she said to measure the distance from my right eye to the front sight, and she would write a prescription for this modification.

I'm going to try it!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been using a pair of prescription glasses fromLensCrafters about two weeks now. I plan on going to the range this weekend to see what I can come up with as far as target aquisition. They are impact resistant, tinted polarized non lined bifocals. I plan on drills with attention to front sight focus and COM aim. I expect my point and shoot will improve as I can see objects over two feet away much clearer with the glasses. Other than that I'm open for suggestions.

VIP Member
    My bifocals are a little off for reading so I got reading glasses. However, perfect for arm length shooting.
    But the target is supposed to be blurry or your not concentrating on the sights as you should.

Thanks for the responses. I am seeing my doc tomorrow and will see if he has any ideas.

I have the same problem as a progressive lens wearer. There are several options.
    1. have an eye doctor put an area on your glasses that will allow you to see your sights.

2. Use the stick on bifocals and just wet it and stick it to the inside of your eyeglasses or clip on sunglasses. This is what I do.http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20-20.html

3.Get a pair of shooting glasses such as the ESS that will take an optical insert with your prescription in it also cut by your doctor so you can see your sights.http://www.opticsplanet.net/ess-ice-...rx-insert.html

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Try this:
    Both eyes open, Front Sight Clear, Target Blurry....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Well, I'm into no line tri focals for daily wear and for shooting they are a pain. I don't really want special lenses for shooting because any BG is probably not going to give me time to go home and exchange eye wear! For me I'm actually shooting better by focusing on target and letting my sights be a little fuzzy. I can still see those three dots line up though and actually shoot pretty good that way. It may not be text book technique but I'm still shooting pretty good groups. Maybe not as tight as they were in my younger days but still accaptable...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I just started using progessive bifocal contacts and have not noticed much of a difference. My right eye is my dominant one so maybe that helps but we'll see. So far so good!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    As the readers here can tell, each of us has a unique situation as our eyesight is different from one to another.

Best bet however is talk it out with an eye doctor.

I use the optical discs to shoot opensight. You can make one or buy one. Try this; Take a piece of thin metal ( I used a strip about 3/4 inch wide and 2 inches long). make a hook at one end so it hooks over your glasses. drill a 1/16 inch hole (or several) even with your eye. Look through the hole. The target and both sights are clear! Sihouette open sight shooters use this all the time. It focuses your eye like a camera lense. If you want to buy an adjustable one look up the Merit optical site.
    P.S. I used a strip cut from a coffee can lid initially. I now have a Merit, but one of our best shooters (83 years old!) still uses a coffee can lid strip.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I have the same problem...

I have the same problem...and prefer to keep the target in focus, and the sights slightly fuzzy. If one of the optical sight makers, would make a Holo, or Red Dot sight small enough to fit my XD-40sc, that would also be small enough to conceal.....they would sell MILLIONS to us old geezer's!
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links