.44 semi auto pistol

.44 semi auto pistol

This is a discussion on .44 semi auto pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure if this has come up before. I was looking at some handguns today for my end of the year purchase. I was curious ...

.44 semi auto pistol

Not sure if this has come up before. I was looking at some handguns today for my end of the year purchase. I was curious to know if any manufacturer makes a .44 semi auto pistol besides the Desert Eagle of course. I have a 38 spec, 357, 9mm, 2-40's, 45. I was thinking of something else with a lot of stopping power but did not want to go over the top with a .460 or the .500 series. I was also thinking about a 10mm although have never shot one and don't know a whole lot about them or even their availability in CA. I am kind of partial to getting another semi-auto vs. another revolver. Any thoughts on a maker or other cartriges that are CA legal?

Wildey Moore put together some big-bore auto pistols in .45 Magnum, 44 Auto Mag, 45 Wildey Magnum and 475 Wildey Magnum. He designed the basic gun in response to a request from an unnamed government agency. These are pretty beefy, gas-operated pistols and the only ammo I've seen on a store shelf is the .45 Win Mag. I suspect most Wildey buyers are motivated enough to buy the reloading dies (and brass?) along with the guns. CA-compliant? I doubt it.

I met Wildey a couple of times when we both lived in the same town in NW CT and attended a Congresscritter's town hall meeting. I believe he's still in that neck of the woods, but I have no idea if he's still producing guns. Here's his web site:

Wildey Guns
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks, Never heard of it. I looked up a couple of reviews. here is one [URL="http://zvis.com/dep/mgnrv/mgrwldy.shtml"]It seems the gun will do more damage to the operator than to the target, if it can hit the target.
    Thanks anyway for that.

The LAR Grizzly 1911 style pistol was offered in .44 mag
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    This is a funny topic, you won't find any of these priced like your Hi Point.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    The LAR Grizzly 1911 style pistol was offered in .44 mag
    I have an LAR Grizzly mark 4 44 magnum,I bought mine on gunbroker about 6 years a go,I paid around 1500.00 with 2 mags,LAR Grizzlies are no longer manufactured,you can find them for sale but I have never seen one advertised for under $1200.00 starting bid.The Company still has a few parts on hand ,new Mags are 75.00,you will find people trying to sell them on gunbroker for 125.00.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm looking like you are, never thought much of the "44" auto lash-ups, that have been out there for years and years. Seems to me you'd really have a one off auto-loader....I will admit to likeing the LARS .44, (used to live in Alaska, big bore has real utility) but long term it doesnt seem to serviceable...My year end/xmas buy is looking more and more like 10mm, probably a Tanfalgo full steel.... next step is putting one in my hands...

Grizzly Mark IV 44 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have an LAR Grizzly mark 4 44 magnum,I bought mine on gunbroker about 6 years a go,I paid around 1500.00 with 2 mags,LAR Grizzlies are no longer manufactured,you can find them for sale but I have never seen one advertised for under $1200.00 starting bid.The Company still has a few parts on hand ,new Mags are 75.00,you will find people trying to sell them on gunbroker for 125.00.
    I just picked up a nice Grizzly Mark IV and am planning on starting wiht 22.8 grains of Lil Gun under 240 grain XTP Hornady. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Links