Defensive Carry banner

One gun I can promise I will not buy....

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Eaglebeak 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It does have potential... but at that price point, (Well OK, at any price point) I'd buy the Beretta they tried to knock off with this long before I'd consider the Taurus.

I do wonder what mags this will take.

#3 ·
Got to agree with Sixto on that one, and I carry Taurus pistols most days.

I didn't want to spend the money on the Beretta for a 9mm plinker, so I went with a Sub 2000, helps that it uses the same mags as the wifes Glock. Huge price difference between the two so it was a pretty easy decision. A buddy has the Beretta and it is a reliable and fun to shoot gun.

#6 ·
For $300 plus $25 per mag....KT Sub2000 9mm Glock mags. Folds away into the dedicated briefcase with another 500 rounds underneath with the pistol.

#7 ·
Its a Taurus....just would not invest that money in that. I would get the KT first.

#8 ·
Looking at that makes me appreciate the M1 Carbine even more. The Carbine is compact, has appealing lines without the clunkiness, and shoots a great moderate range cartridge.

Reactions: Tzadik
#11 ·
Whoa, especially at that price it's one to skip. I recently bought a Hi Point 995 carbine as a fun plinker and trainer for nepehews, newbies etc. If it gets dropped or bumped around, who cares? It's a Hi Point.

At the price point and reputation of the Taurus I would rather buy the cheapo Hi Point which I paid $225 for it. If it breaks down, malfunctions ok. It's a cheap gun. Bought to be a plinker and trainer, not a SHTF gun. If you really want a nice carbine there are plenty of options out there.

But to pay that much for a Taurus carbine that looks huge, heavy and not high capacity enough in the 40 and 45 versions is foolish. $700 is a premium price for a non-premium brand.

I plan to do a little write up on the Hi Point once I've gotten one more range trip under its belt. But the quick report is that it functions well and my first time out was very accurate.

#13 ·
Now if someone would just come out with a .44 mag semi auto carbine.

#15 ·
My thoughts about Tarus are along everyone else's line from personal experience because Tarus is most definitely "unpredictable" in the highest echelon of the term. However, if Tarus could ever manage to get their production standards and quality control consistently up to par with some of their "better" units (as pure luck of the draw determines), they would be serious competition and genuinely worth consideration.

During my LE stint, the department's full-time armorers at the practice/combat range decided to do an experiment to test the strength of a number of revolvers that were suitable for service weapons by purposely reloading test .357 mag ammunition with fast-burning powder (Bullseye) at increasing degrees of overload to see how much it took to disable each particular brand to the point that it would no longer operate after the firing - which was remotely done from the test blockhouse (on the adjacent bomb disposal range) with the pistol in a rigged vise out on the range. Brands used were S&W, Colt, and Ruger with a Star and Tarus just tossed in as a joke. Unsurprisingly, the cylinder in the Star jammed and wouldn't turn with only a 25% overload. All others survived a 50% overload, 75% overload and a full double-charge (including the Tarus). As loads were continued to be increased over dougle-charge, the major brands began dropping out as well with jammed cylinders in order of (Colt, S&W, and finally Ruger), but the freakin' Tarus survived everything including a triple, then quadruple charge that both knocked it out of the vise. They finally figured out that increasing the load was doing no good because the bullet was leaving the barrel before all the extra powder could burn and continue raising the breech pressure.

Being astounded at the results, they called in the chief and other high-ranking officers to witness a possible recommended addition to the department's "acceptable" service revolvers. After all the pomp and circumstance, they started the test with new revolvers of the exact same models as before. As expected, the Star jammed at just the 25% overload; but to everyone's embarrassment, the cylinder blew completely out of the Tarus with the 50% overload. So, if one is lucky enough to get that one Tarus out of many that is accidently "good", then you have a truly fine weapon; but such a radical inconsistency between identical models is most certainly no selling point for people who trust their life to the known and proven dependability of their weapon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.