Any REAL non-metallic firearms?

This is a discussion on Any REAL non-metallic firearms? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry, I know this is going to sound corny. But I was watching "The Dark Knight" last night and there was a man in a ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By bbqgrill
  • 1 Post By mdmorgan
  • 1 Post By PoLockNLoad
  • 1 Post By PoLockNLoad

Thread: Any REAL non-metallic firearms?

Sorry, I know this is going to sound corny. But I was watching "The Dark Knight" last night and there was a man in a courtroom who pulled out a gun. The DA said it was a carbon-fiber gun from China. Now, I realize this is all fiction. But it did get me to wondering. Has anyone ever heard of any type of real firearm that is made out of alternative materials that might allow it to pass through a metal detector? Obviously I have no need for such a weapon, I was just curious if anything existed. I did a quick google search but came up with pretty much nothing.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Sure there is: " it is a Glock 7. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines," .........LOL
    INccwchris and SIGguy229 like this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    Metal detectors are calibrated to a certain standard. They allow things like eyelets on shoes, zippers, rivets in jeans,under-wire in Bra's and small things that may be carried.

A gun could be mostly made of non metallic materials and pass through a detector especially if it was set up just to fire a few shots. About the only thing that would need to be metal is the very small tip of the firing pin to set off a cartridge.

If the gun was specifically made to get past a metal detector, it could be loaded like a muzzle loader. No case, no lead bullet, just a charge of powder with a non metallic projectile made of ceramic which would do the job.

Or you could just the standard wrap that allows a gun to pass through undetected, but that's strictly a government thing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wouldn't matter, the cartridges are still going to be metal.
    kb2wji likes this.

When Glocks first came out the media was putting out all kind of stories about how it was designs with one thing in mind. To pass through airport security to be used by highjackers. It was a plastic gun that could not be detected by metal detectors.
    Maybe the writer was remembering some of those old media stories and believed them?

Michael

Senior Moderator
    I remember. It was typical media hype, like usual their "facts" were not THE facts.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Where there's a will, there's a way. AFAIK There aren't any commercially available completely non-metallic firearms. But yes, its possible to make one. And NO, I won't make you one ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Sure there is: " it is a Glock 7. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines," .........LOL
    "Just once, I'd like a regular, normal Christmas. Eggnog, a -' Christmas tree, a little turkey. But, no. I gotta crawl around in this mother-' tin can. "

Tis the season :-)
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Administrator
    Any non-metallic firearm that eventually does get made at some future period in time will have metallic particles in the mix so that it can be detected.
    That is what the makers of the non-metallic stealth knives had to do.

I know that some folks were experimenting with ceramic barrels for awhile there. I have no idea how successful they were. I'm best guessing "Not Very" because I'm not seeing any.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have access to a half a dozen used X-ray scanners just like the ones used in airports. Last week we set one up to make sure it worked before it was shipped out to the new owner.We ran my Kimber compact,Glock 19,SOG flash-II and my Sabre defence pepper spray through it. Depending on the setting I could either see just a silioutte or every metal part of each weapon. The only thing that went through undetected was the pepper spray and it had two metal key rings on it.Until someone makes a spring, primer or cartridge case that is nonmetalic you do not stand a chance of getting a firearm through a scanner.Folding knives with plastic scales show up as just a blade and screws.

I remember that a 'ceramic' gun was also a plot device in the move, "In the Line of Fire". John Malkovich's character made one. Now, IRL, there are several high tech ceramics and fiber that would be strong enough to make a gun out of. No cartridge would be needed; you could load it with charges and bullets just like the old black powder arms.

Of course, just because a thing CAN be made, doesn't mean it IS made. The government wouldn't hide something like that from us, would they?
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Until someone makes a spring, primer or cartridge case that is nonmetalic you do not stand a chance of getting a firearm through a scanner.Folding knives with plastic scales show up as just a blade and screws.
    X-ray scanners work on differences in density. Its much easier to get something metal through an x-ray than it is getting it through a metal detector. The tough part is getting it through a CT or chemical sniffer.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Metal detectors do not detect metal. They are properly called magnetometers and measure changes in a magnetic field they create. Nonferrous metals like lead will pass through undetected.

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    I have access to a half a dozen used X-ray scanners just like the ones used in airports. Last week we set one up to make sure it worked before it was shipped out to the new owner.We ran my Kimber compact,Glock 19,SOG flash-II and my Sabre defence pepper spray through it. Depending on the setting I could either see just a silioutte or every metal part of each weapon. The only thing that went through undetected was the pepper spray and it had two metal key rings on it.Until someone makes a spring, primer or cartridge case that is nonmetalic you do not stand a chance of getting a firearm through a scanner.Folding knives with plastic scales show up as just a blade and screws.
    There are plastic screws readily available, if it's not an autoloader you MIGHT be able to design a gun that doesn't need a spring to drop the hammer, or you could use a rubber spring, also readily available. As someone else said the bullet could be ceramic and you wouldn't need a cartridge if you muzzle loaded it.

OK I better go now, I think this thread has already caught the attention of the NSA and every other anti-terriorist federal department out there.

Waving to the feds and putting on my tin foil hat. Signing off with an alias.

Links