Defensive Carry banner

Getting my 5 year old daughter a rifle... Opinions on the crickett?

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  DMan 
#1 ·
She really wants her own.

I let her shoot my Savage MK VIII all the time at the range, but, it's too heavy.

She held, and played with, a bright pink crickett, at gander mtn, here recently, and loves it....

Anyone have experience with these?

It's a single-shot .22LR, and I like that.... Not that I don't trust her, but, at this time, single shot, sounds like a good idea....

Anyone know, if a scope can be mounted to one of these? She really likes working at a distance, on a scope....

#2 ·
A friend's granddaughter shoots one at our Silhouette matches. I tried it, and hit a chicken with open sights! Now I want one too. Not sure about the scope though...

#4 ·
The Cricket works good. Bought one for my nieces and nephews to use when they visit.

Just a thought. Until a child is about six it is recommended that they not be exposed to lead. This is what they taught me at Range Officer school and NRA Instructor training. It is up to you as a parent, but it has to do with the fact that before six it is much easier for kids to pick up lead poisioning. Evidently after six their development is to a point that makes it more difficult.

#5 ·
Heh, by 'all the time' I meant more, every month or 2, she'll go to the range with me :)

Never heard that before, about the lead stuff.... I'll keep it in mind....

#6 ·
You can mitigate some lead exposure. Long sleeves, close cropped neck on the shirt. Wash any exposed areas with cold water as soon as shooting is complete and definitely before any food is eaten. Shoot in well ventilated conditions. That will help minimize her exposure until her body matures enough that lead is a lesser threat. Those things should realistically be continued for any shooting activities in the future.

#10 ·
I picked up a cricket when my oldest was around 8, and let my other daughters start on it when they were 6-9 (depending on their maturity level). It's fine for a few range trips, then they get bored with it.

The single shot isn't much fun when poking paper, especially when the older siblings are shooting the buckmark and bouncing empty shotgun hulls around the range!

I still recommend them, but they won't get as much use as you might think. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get a small pump action 22 instead. Taurus is making an inexpensive Model 62 that seems like it might be a good starter, but it's quite a bit larger than the cricket.

#11 ·
Ive always thought that a single shot bolt action was the best way to start shooting. I started with a Winchester-Savage .22 bolt that my brother refinished for me.

Starting with a bolt action single shot teaches many of the basics of shooting, such as trigger control, chambering a round, cocking, safety etc....and also promotes accuracy at the same time. I was always told that I couldnt move up to any magazine fed gun until I could consistantly hit with both my bolt action .22, and my single shot shotgun.

I also feel that using a single shot encourages good markmenship, instead of going for a (albeit) more fun spray-n-pray mentality.

Regardless of what you wind up getting, these training guns are usually cheap enough that they can be replaced when the skill can warrant an advanced weapon.

Good to see you introducing shooting to your daughters.

#12 ·
Taking plenty of calcium before exposure to lead will mitigate the effects to some extent, as the body mistakes lead for calcium. Better to be vigilant about cleanliness and exposure (i.e. ventilation, no food or drinks before cleaning up, no touching eyes, nose or mouth before cleaning up, etc.).

#13 ·
a friend who was in the corp, got his 5 y.o daughter one and taught her to shoot like he was taught in boot camp.
She is one crack shot.... and shes fast and cool under his control.

#15 ·
Heh, that's what she's currently begging me for. She says she doesen't like the woodgrained pink one, but, the synthetic one.... It's still a touch big for her, but, I just can't say no to her on this one :danceban:

#16 ·
One thing that DOES concern me, is school.

I have NO SHAME, in teaching my daughters, and son, firearms safety. I have NO SHAME, in buying them thier own firearms (Although, they still live in *MY SAFE*). Nor, do I have any shame, in training them, on thier firearms.

However, I am concerned, that bragging in school will ensue, and, that a blissninny teacher, will make things out to be, well, bad. Even if they aren't so. I'm hoping this won't really be an issue, as I live in a fairly rural place, but, you never know.

Am I worrying about nothing?

I'd also be concerned about blissninny parent's, that would prevent my daughter from having friends, because there are 'guns in our home'. A La, that 'ASK' program. I've still not igured out how to respond to THAT, when it comes up...

The only guns in our home, that are not secured, are on mine, or my wife's person. By secured, I do NOT mean hidden. I mean, in a high-quality gun safe.

I really hope I'm just being paranoid. I tend to do that, with my daughters :)

#17 ·
I wouldn't worry if you live in a rural/hunting area. My kids were drawing pics of me hunting in elementry school. But I we close public school up here for the opener of deer season too.

#18 ·
Rocky, the school closing for the opening of deer season is one of my favorite stories of growing up in Michigan to tell people. Almost no one ever believes it at first.

Don't worry about the kids telling people, the chances of it causing problems are lower than we all think.

#23 ·
Rocky, the school closing for the opening of deer season is one of my favorite stories of growing up in Michigan to tell people. Almost no one ever believes it at first.

Same is true for West-By-God-Virginia!

#19 ·
Don't bet on the school "not" causing problems. There are some pretty liberal teachers and so-called counselors, (even in the great nation of Texas), who believe that guns are inherently bad. When our girls were old enough to shoot, we discussed the need to not talk about them and to never tell anyone that "Mom has a .357 in her purse."

Teaching your children to properly handle a firearm is very rewarding. My youngest daughter, who is now grown and living away from us, just recently called to ask about installing a gunsafe and to tell me that she bought a new Ruger 10/22 like her Mom's. Also, my oldest daughter wants me to start working with our grandson to figure out which pistol fits him best. (She married a guy who really doesn't shoot much, but she makes up for it.)

I wish you luck!

#20 ·
I bought my 6 year old son a Henry mini-bolt last weekend. It is comparable to the cricket in size but he liked it a lot. It has fiberoptic sights front and rear and the chamber to load the shell is bigger than on the cricket. I shot it a few times at about 20 yards and must say it is extremely accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.