Railed Guns For Home Defense

This is a discussion on Railed Guns For Home Defense within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ti Carry Don't like them. I'd rather have the flashlight of my choice in hand and clearing your home is a dangerous ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Railed Guns For Home Defense

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Don't like them. I'd rather have the flashlight of my choice in hand and clearing your home is a dangerous practice IMO, staying put is the better option. Unless of course you have kids and want to get to them, but pointing a weapon at them in a stress situation to ID them is also not good.

Ti
    Ti,

I understand your concern, but having a light on a handgun does not mandate that you have to point your weapon at someone to use the light. Even if we constrain the application to the use of a mounted WML only, i.e. no supplemental handheld and the WML is not removed from the gun and used as a handheld, which is an option, there is still a way that a WML can be used - indirect or bounce illumination. You can bounce the light off the ceiling or floor. Of course this assumes we are in a situation where our drawn gun would be justified.

Removing constrains, a WML gives us additional options. We can carry a supplemental handheld as search/redundant light ("one is none, two is one" - don't know that I fully agree with that but it is a commonly taught axiom.). We can carry the WML off the gun as a first response handheld, then if we feel the situation justifies drawing our gun, then we can mount the light as we see the situation calls for.

Just some thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Wow!

I'm not the only geek on the board. EM Rail Guns indeed.

Oh well. RIS are cool too, I guess. Too each his own, I suppose.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Assistant Administrator
    I changed title to read ''railed''

My SIG 226 ST has the rail but thus far it has not been exploited - probably never will be. Its presence however is no problem to me at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    That's what I thought too! I was hoping they had found a way to make them portable......oh well, I'll just have to wait.........
    No kidding! I was thinking "Gee, what a cool idea! Cheap ammo...no gunpowder...reloading....just charge the batteries and fire, fire, fire BBs or whatever at near light speed"
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    One of my 1911s has a rail and it is my HD pistol. I have a Camillus LEDWAVE Z5 mounted on it and it works like a charm. I also practice, practice, practice both with and without the light!!

VIP Member

Rail Gun...

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I have a 4" Kimber w/ a rail on it. Makes no difference when carrying it and at home I put my surefire on it. Only me and the girlfriend at home. If something goes bump in the night she grabs her XD9sc and I grab the Kimber.
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Very nice TA. We now have three definitions of rail gun.

Love those old fashioned ones. Come to think of it, Atomic Annie was built on a rail frame (but was modified to be pulled by trucks). Now that's home defense.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links