Railed Guns For Home Defense

This is a discussion on Railed Guns For Home Defense within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read this and just wanted to share with those that haven't seen it yet. I thought it was pretty informative. Rail Guns For Home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I read this and just wanted to share with those that haven't seen it yet. I thought it was pretty informative.

Rail Guns For Home Defense
    from Guns & Ammo
    June 2006

"...The main advantage to a gun-mounted light is that it frees your nonfiring hand to open doors, turn on lights, hold onto handrails and other such tasks..."

I did think it was a bit scary how the author is practically sticking his hand in front of the muzzle to grab the door handle tho...

Made me think about the scenario at least. That's why we gotta practice before we need to do it!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I primarily carry a Sig 220ST rail....
    Using practice drills with Airsoft pistols will definitely show any problems with hand before muzzle placement....
    In the real world, this positioning is common in close contact shooting... Also for weapon retention.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I don't like weapons mounted lights, for one reason... you have to aim at something to ID it.

If I'm looking for my kids in the house while suspecting that there's a bad guy around, I don't want to point my weapon at the kids while id'ing them. To each their own, but I'll keep my light in my hand.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Senior Moderator
    WMLs (Weapon Mounted Lights) have to be used correctly. They are not a general illumination tool for searching etc. but they do have advantages in some situations.

There's nothing to prevent having a WML on the gun and a handheld. WMLs mount and dismount very quickly and can be used as a handheld.

Practically, the only use I see for a WML in a civilian role is in the home. They add a bit too much bulk to carry mounted on a CCW gun although it can be done and I know some that do.

A WML shouldn't be the only illumination tool unless you intend to remove it from the gun to do search and ID and in that case you'd be just about as well off with a handheld.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    To show how off normal I am, I clicked on this topic thinking someone was talking about Electro Magnetic Rail guns!

But I'll go with my usual response to this - don't the lights in your house work?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    To show how off normal I am, I clicked on this topic thinking someone was talking about Electro Magnetic Rail guns!
    That's what I thought too! I was hoping they had found a way to make them portable......oh well, I'll just have to wait.........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

But I'll go with my usual response to this - don't the lights in your house work?
    LOL! I guess I am #3

I actually built a small scale one as a kid. It would lob a bullet sized metal rod about 25 ft. It was basiclly an old camera flash circuit, a pushbutton switch, an old solenoid out of an 8 track player, and way too much electrical tape. LOL!

The whole thing was about the size of a 1911, but most of that was a block of wood, I cut out in the shape of a gun. With capacitor technology what it is today, I would not be surprised if a long arm sized weapon was doable. It would most likely be a limited range weapon, and only capable of one or two shots before having to recharge for a few minutes.

My Sig 220 came with a rail. If they still made the standard DA/SA without a rail thats what I would have wanted. But they don't so here I am. If I ever find myself with some extra funding around I'd love to get a Surefire X200. I would rather have a wml than use gun/light seperatly. I understand that I will be pointing the loaded firearm at whatever I'm illuminating but as I see it if finger is off of trigger than the point is somewhat moot. My Sig isn't going to go off by itself and the only other person with me now is my wife. No kids sneeking in or out. So if I hear anybody else in our 650sft apartment I know they should be there.

And I'm sure I'll eventually get a Surefire forearm for my 870, maybe for Christmas cross your fingers. It is the weapon I'm most likely be grabbing in the middle of the night. Because I can't use a handheld flashlight and my 870 at the same time I guess I have to go with the weapon mounted light. It's either that or no threat ID.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got one on my XD45 and I'm a fan of'em.

It potentially frees up one hand, aids in threat ID and can momentarily (think "deer in the headlights") disorient a BG.

To each his own, I guess.

Don't like them. I'd rather have the flashlight of my choice in hand and clearing your home is a dangerous practice IMO, staying put is the better option. Unless of course you have kids and want to get to them, but pointing a weapon at them in a stress situation to ID them is also not good.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I first thought of electromagnetic rail guns too when I saw the title of the article! guess it's a bit misleading, but i just kept the author's original title.

haven't used a rail light yet, but i was thinking that it wouldn't be necessary to point directly at a person in order to ID them. that is, unless you point your weapon at the darkened target before turning on the rail light. haven't researched proper technique of using rail lights yet..

yes, the author recommended turning on the lights if possible. this usually causes the BG to flee to a darker area. you can use this technique strategically.

just a thought.. the rail light may even be useful if you're holed up in your safe room and the BG enters. if the lights in the safe room are off when the BG enters, then turning on the rail light will temporarily blind the BG. if the lights are already on, then the rail light might help to illuminate the BG in the dark hallway outside if the he/she doesn't come bursting into the lit room. from what i understand, the lights are very bright..

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)

I'm #4.

I was imagining a large rail gun mounted in a hallway, front porch, etc. You know, something to keep away the thieves and the "door to door salesmen" (sometimes they are the same thing).

It would be over kill, just like this is for "hunting":

I know they are not railguns, but it just looks like a lot of fun.

Same here ... in fact I'm kinda disappointed now

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Same here ... in fact I'm kinda disappointed now
    Got me too!

Sorry to let you down, folks!! Maybe I shoulda just changed the title after all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links