Defensive Carry banner

"Guns on campus" Point/Counterpoint, Roanoke Times, NEEDS COMMENTS!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mwhartman 
#1 ·
http://blogs.roanoke.com/roundtable...guns-on-campus/comment-page-1/#comment-125263

Colin Goddard:

"Since getting shot almost 5 years ago at Virginia Tech, I’ve heard this line quite often: “If just one student at Virginia Tech would have been carrying a gun on April16, 2007, people’s lives would have been saved.” I could not even understand what was happening until that first bullet hit above my knee:hand5::sheep:, so the certainty of the above statement is difficult to grasp.:aargh4: It’s easy to think “yes” when you’re calmly reading the newspaper, imagining hypothetical scenarios in your head, but it’s entirely different when you’re in the most stressful situation of your life."

#2 · (Edited)
He needs to learn that the world doesn't revolve around him....and that despite his ignorance, there are folks who are returning to college who know what a shot fired in anger sounds like and can respond with something more that "what was that?"

He is what my dad would call an educated idiot...that despite the facts and life experience, he refuses to accept reality and continues his blissfully ignorant path of righteousness.

Reactions: shooterX
#3 ·
Here's what I don't understand. Why do people who are against students carrying on campus think that lack of a permit or a law banning firearms is the only thing keeping people from committing violent acts with guns on campus? The Virginia Tech shooter obviously wasn't concerned about their rules against firearms. He was getting ready to murder a bunch of people. You think his thought process was "Wait a minute. There's a rule against bringing firearms on campus. Boy, I'm gonna get in trouble for that."

#4 ·
I am coming to the realization that gun control isn't so much about the guns. Sometimes I wonder if the anti crowd's support for bans stems from the fact that it is something that they can control. They can't control the criminal, so instead they try to control the law abiding citizen and this control makes them erroneously FEEL safer. Or perhaps because THEY obey rules, they believe that everyone else does too, including the criminals.

Edit: for once I would really like to hear a solid explanation as to why and how they think a regulation is going to prevent crime.

#5 ·
I've said this before ans I'll say it again(I stole it from one of those famous guys, Freud maybe).
Gun control is not about guns, it's about controlling the masses. The sheep who buy into it are projecting. They don't think they could handle the responsibility, therefore no one else possibly could. "After all how could any one be a better person than I am!"

#6 ·
Huh, the opposing view's arguments sound much like those used every time and anytime CCW is proposed in any environment.

Yet their glum predictions never seem to materialize.

Why does anyone listen to them?

#7 ·
Only gun control I believe in is whether I'm using one hand or two. Otherwise, lawmakers should stay away.

It's ironic that the most adamant Antigun politicians believe that they're the exception, not the rule regarding the right to bear arms.

Lifetime NRA Member

#10 ·
Gene83 said:
goes through some kind of Jekyll and Hyde transformation
This appears to be exactly what they think. Read the continuing comments on the site and pay particular attention to Sandi Saunders.
Well, maybe not the Jekyll and Hyde, but one thing is clear. They believe that the risk of something happening that requires you to need to use your weapons for SD is so low as to not warrant the risk that you pose to their safety by being present with it.

#12 ·
I spent 23 years working for a major research University. Additionally, I spent 4 years at the same University as a student. I was always comfortable until a student hid in the bushes and shot several other students. Sadly, one of those shot died. The campus was in a total lockdown. This event took place about 10 years ago and things have calmed down.

What is interesting, one day a limb of a very old Elm tree snapped, fell on a student and killed her. While sad, the University did not cut down all of the Elm trees to protect the students.

I guess we all can reach our own conclusions on where our country is heading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.