How dangerous is Memphis?

This is a discussion on How dangerous is Memphis? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was born in Elizabeth, NJ. Raised in Elizabeth, Belleville, Newark and South Orange, NJ. I lived out in Oxnard, Ca for a while as ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How dangerous is Memphis?

I was born in Elizabeth, NJ. Raised in Elizabeth, Belleville, Newark and South Orange, NJ. I lived out in Oxnard, Ca for a while as well. That was ....exciting lol

I used to hang out on "The Block" in Baltimore, MD. Those of you familiar with B'more know what I mean.

I now live in TN. Memphis is no better or no worse than any place I've lived or been. Is it bad? Sure. Every state has it's bad areas.

It's all about demographics. Plain and simple.
    bmcgilvray and tcox4freedom like this.

2. Remove Ads

OOOooo...you have called some fairly scary places "home" in your time, NYCrulesU. You might be able to recognize a dangerous locale when you see it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    OOOooo...you have called some fairly scary places "home" in your time, NYCrulesU. You might be able to recognize a dangerous locale when you see it.
    It's one reason we moved to Tn to raise our girls. I wanted a quieter life for them than I've known. Time will tell.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtysanchez View Post
    I was born in Memphis in '66 and moved to Baton Rouge in '77.

We lived in a nice quiet one block street near Mendenhall and Knight Arnold. I wouldn't dare visit the old house/street after dark now.

But just like any city in the world, you'll always be able to find the good and the bad areas.

Dirty
    You lived my my hood Dirty.

My mom still lives there today. It might even be the same one block street. I know I'm always in condition Orange whenever I go back. ("High" orange if I'm out after dark!)

-

Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    It seems that the more I read and learn, the more stories I hear about bad situations happening in Memphis. Sure, you expect it in DC or Baltimore, but I never expected it in TN. I've lived in Indianapolis and Louisville and St. Louis (all in "safe" areas), and I didn't feel too worried most of the time (granted, I had no SA at the time, but still). I never expected another medium-small midwestern city to have so many BGs floating around. I think I heard a pro-arms podcast where the CCW instructor told stories about how many of his students had confirmed self defense shootings. I also just finished reading the "have you been shot at" and "have you pulled your gun" and Memphis is disproportionately represented.

Are there just very few safe areas? Or is there a very large grey area where bad things can happen despite not looking exceedingly dangerous to the untrained eye?

Just curious. Anyway, it's waaaaaay to late and I need to get to bed.
    I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I do have some input here.

I consider myself from Memphis. (Wasn't born there but it is home. It is where I am meant to be but sadly, I am not there right now) We currently live just outside Indianapolis and I work in Indy. I can say this: I am constantly looking for a job back home in Memphis and we will be going back as soon as I find one.

Now to your question, yes and no. memphis can be a VERY rough place. You have to know where the good areas are and where the bad areas are. Memphis has a disproportionately high murder rate for its size and population. However, it also has a very high number of gangs. Last I saw, it was estimated that there were around 150 distinct street gangs operating in Memphis with possibly as many as 30,000 members between them all. (I think that may be a bit high though) The good thing is this, if you are not in a gang and are not trying to do any type of amateur pharmaceutical business with them, your likelihood of being killed by one is rather low.

As I said, I live near Indy and work in Indy and I can say honestly that I have yet to be in a part of Indianapolis that made me feel like I absolutely HAD to be armed. Indy has bad areas but they tend not to be as bad as the bad areas of Memphis.

But Memphis is an amazing city with huge history and tons of culture. I love it and I miss it every single second that I do not live in the area. (Disclaimer: We did not live in Memphis but in a small town in Shelby County named Arlington)

As to LEO's, the Memphis Police force leave ALOT to be desired. They are fairly poorly trained and corrupt as the day is long. The Shelby County Sheriffs Department on the other hand is a world class LEO organization that I have nothing but good things to say about. I work in broadcast TV and I can tell you that in 2009 I remember my station doing a lead story on the evening news that reported that it had been 3 consecutive months since a member of the Memphis PD had been arrested for anything. No one could remember the last time this had happened. They have had cops arrested for pimping, protecting drug dealers, being drug dealers, rape, robbery, murder, burglary, taking bribes, drunk driving while on duty and they found several active gang members on the police force. The gang had taken young men with no record and paid to send them to college to get a criminal justice degree so they could join the force and be gang operatives on the force. it is suspected that there are astimm gang members on the force though the new police director is doing a better job of shaping the force up than the last guy did from what i am told by friends who still live there.

If you are moving there or considering it, please PM me and I will let you know anything and everything you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    I just typed out a long response to this thread and then hit "Reply to Thread" instead of "Post Quick Reply." It deleted everything. If I cool down, I might retype it all. I'm just frustrated right now. TNMike? I know you have a comment or two for this thread...
    How's that for comments??
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    ^^^Plus 1 one to everything Mike said.^^^

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I know it's been over a year since this thread was active, but... I live in Memphis (actually in Shelby County) in an area known as Shelby Forest. Shelby Forest is a rather "Safe" area; however, we are right down the road (about 2 miles) from Northhaven. It is notorious for crime. We are also about 6 miles from the edge of Frayser. It is notorious for being "Not Safe" even in broad daylight. I drive through Frayser every day on my way to work. There are tons of foreclosed, boarded up houses and abandoned cars. It's not pretty.

I work for a LE agency even though I am not a LEO. I am in the IT section.

Anyone in Memphis or Millington, I go to Top Brass in Millington to shoot. That's where I got my CCW training (am still waiting on my permit) and would recommend them highly. Small class, small range and personal service. If you are in the area or work downtown Memphis, PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links