How dangerous is Memphis?

This is a discussion on How dangerous is Memphis? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems that the more I read and learn, the more stories I hear about bad situations happening in Memphis. Sure, you expect it in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How dangerous is Memphis?

How dangerous is Memphis?

It seems that the more I read and learn, the more stories I hear about bad situations happening in Memphis. Sure, you expect it in DC or Baltimore, but I never expected it in TN. I've lived in Indianapolis and Louisville and St. Louis (all in "safe" areas), and I didn't feel too worried most of the time (granted, I had no SA at the time, but still). I never expected another medium-small midwestern city to have so many BGs floating around. I think I heard a pro-arms podcast where the CCW instructor told stories about how many of his students had confirmed self defense shootings. I also just finished reading the "have you been shot at" and "have you pulled your gun" and Memphis is disproportionately represented.

Are there just very few safe areas? Or is there a very large grey area where bad things can happen despite not looking exceedingly dangerous to the untrained eye?

Just curious. Anyway, it's waaaaaay to late and I need to get to bed.

2. Remove Ads

From what I've read Memphis is dangerous, but then again so is Orlando Fla.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

It's got it safe areas. And it's got its bad areas. I work there everyday and I haven't had a confrontation yet. A lot of it is where you go and what you do. Situational awareness is the key. But its really not the worse place in the us by any means.

A story I heard, note the '' I heard '' , was after Catrina, a lot of the '' BGs"" went to memphis n then just never left. I work on the river and catch a boat in Memphis on a semi regular basis, and travel through Memphis a lot, I would say it is like any other mid to large city, depends on where your at, and being aware of your surroundings. It is a practice of mine when going through Memphis, or any larger city, where I come from population is about 150 ish..... to keep the basics in mind, do not get boxed in at a red light, doors locked, eyes on mirror, but heck i do that all the time wherever I am at. Situational awareness is key. I do not and am not a meek person, and will not be intimidated ..... i think that goes a long way , just in how you carry yourself. As for being a bad place, no worse than some, not as good as slab town.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It all depends on where you're standing if something bad goes down. That could be any place--or anywhere else!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Didn't you ever see the show.............First 48........they have memphis on all the time.......healthy murder rate there.

Memphis has been this way before Katrina. It has always had a rather large murder rate but there is a LOT of people in this area and with that population comes crime. Go to germantown, collierville, or Cordova and I can't even afford a shack and its a nice environment .....go to fraisure or orange mound and the residents actually say they don't even think twice about gun shots because they hear so many a day....

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes

The nationwide drop in crime extends to several of our most dangerous cities, including the Memphis, Tenn., area, which comes in at No. 2 with 1,006 violent crimes per 100,000 residents,
    It does have some places that are ok. But, the vast majority of the Memphis (Metro Area) has become a VERY dangerous place; especially after dark!

As a side note: I read recently that Memphis is also one of the "saddest" cities in America.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/healthy_l...es_are_nothing

As a "native" Memphian, this makes me sad; because I know Memphis was "once" a GRAND and GREAT place to live & work.

-

-

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    I think I heard a pro-arms podcast where the CCW instructor told stories about how many of his students had confirmed self defense shootings.
    That was probably Tom Givens.

Jim

I just typed out a long response to this thread and then hit "Reply to Thread" instead of "Post Quick Reply." It deleted everything. If I cool down, I might retype it all. I'm just frustrated right now. TNMike? I know you have a comment or two for this thread...
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

I was born in Memphis in '66 and moved to Baton Rouge in '77.

We lived in a nice quiet one block street near Mendenhall and Knight Arnold. I wouldn't dare visit the old house/street after dark now.

But just like any city in the world, you'll always be able to find the good and the bad areas.

Dirty

Is Memphis any more dangerous than any other large city?

Like Washington, DC., Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI, Los Angeles, CA or (insert other large dangerous city name)_______________________.

I would say not. Perhaps the "48 Hours" series, that I do watch shows Memphis to be a dangerous place. Of course Houston, TX, and Miami, FL and even Louisville, KY have been featured.

I believe danger goes just about anyplace that it wants.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

We are occasionally through Memphis and recently spent the afternoon there over Labor Day weekend meeting our youngest son, who was on leave from Twentynine Palms, and his girlfriend. We were staying in Little Rock anyway with our eldest son, wife, and granddaughter. I related this story on a small private forum for their amusement. We weren't in any real danger but were annoyed. I was pocket carrying a Colt Detective Special but had a Colt .41 Army Special in the door pocket as a "car gun" which was easier to immediately access while seated than the Detective Special.

"The Colt .41 did play an unintended small role in shooing away a hooker while we were in Memphis. We'd driven over there to spend the afternoon with our youngest son and his girlfriend. He'd gotten a "96" and had flown in to Nashville to spend the weekend with her. Since they were at Freed Hardeman University in Henderson, Tennessee we all decided to take advantage of the opportunity to see each other and Memphis was closest to half way to Little Rock.

We originally were just going to meet at a Crackerbarrel on I-40 on the east side of town to plan our afternoon but while discussing this with them on the phone as we drove through town, we decided to meet downtown instead. I took the next freeway exit, which happened to be Chelsea Avenue,
    to turn around. Of course this later proved to be a most unsavory part of town. My wife had fished out the Garmin so we could find the downtown Memphis attractions more easily but it was having trouble accessing a satellite. I stopped in a disused commercial driveway to help the Garmin find a signal. While she was reviewing the information the Garmin was providing I looked up to see a hooker walking up to the front of the car on my side. She was (un)dressed in excruciatingly short shorts that really didn't do their job and a loud purple, sleeveless string knit top that was cut way down to her naval and stretched tight over everything underneath. Wasn't a pretty sight as the gut took precedence over everything else.

Previously, some characters had eyed us as we turned through a mom-and-pop grocery/beer joint parking lot so I had slipped the .41 Colt out of the bag and placed it in my lap as being easier to access than the revolver in my pocket. I put about a block between grocery/beer joint and us when I pulled into the disused driveway which was a better vantage point anyway. The revolver was still there when the hooker persisted on strutting right up to my side window, motioned for me to roll it down and placed her face right against the glass. As I shook my head "no" she suddenly leaped back as if she'd stuck her toe into a light socket, said "happy Labor Day" and walked rapidly on down the sidewalk minus the strut exhibited previously.

My wife muttered "oh brother" then quickly added "do you think she saw the pistol?" I said that I didn't know but it "sorta looked like she did." I hadn't intended for anyone to get close enough to the car to look in like that. She'd come around the corner which was about 50 yards on down the block. I'd been engrossed in the Garmin's screen and never saw her coming. Not a good thing really."

We spent the afternoon on Beale Street looking in some of the shops, had some wonderful Cajun fare at King Palace Cafe, enjoyed some blues on the street and got out of there by dark.

Our son hamming it up, laying an egg for the camera.

Beale Street from the Second Street intersection.

Kings Palace Cafe. Good Cajun food if you like that cuisine.

Good Blues may be had right on the street. A few bucks and a request netted a wide repertoire, well played.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The rest of Tennessee has been trying to give it to Mississippi or Arkansas but no takers so far.
    It's like most large cities just some places outsiders shouldn't go. Even Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga have those places just seems Memphis has a reputation of being nastier.

At least you have the ability to defend yourself..............here in the northeast we have Newark, Camden, Trenton and no CCL here in New Jersey and probably never will......IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links