rock island 1911

rock island 1911

This is a discussion on rock island 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's your knowledge, opinion, experience with the full size rock island armscor 1911, I've been wanting a 1911 for quite awhile now and this fits ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: rock island 1911

rock island 1911

What's your knowledge, opinion, experience with the full size rock island armscor 1911, I've been wanting a 1911 for quite awhile now and this fits into my fun money budget, so what's your thoughts, is it worth $550 out the door?
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

My 1911 compact has been flawless,$550.00 seems high,Summit Gunbrokers has them for $385.00,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

wow

that really does seem like a bit much

GM
    IMO RIAs are good 1911s for the price. However, $550 for a Government-sized RIA is way too much; SARCO sells the RIA GI Style parkerized for $359.99 + shipping (http://www.sarcoinc.com/11-01-11_gunpages.pdf), and Centerfire sells the matte black finish for $379.99 + shipping (1911 .45 ACP Mil-Spec Rock Island with Matte Black Finish #AC-RI1911). Do not forget to add the FFL fee.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Oddly, I was planning on starting the same kind of thread. I used to own a colt 1911 years ago that worked flawlessly.....I fell upon hard financial times and sold it and have always regretted it. This was back when they went for 600 bucks or so but that was two or three weeks salary for me.

Anyway..... I've never (let alone shoot) anthing from RIA but have heard good things here and on other web searches. Obviously, you get what you pay for but a dependable 1911 in the $400 range is intriguing.

Thanks gunguy82 for starting this thread.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I "heard" complaints about RIA, but the majority of folks seem quite pleased with them as long as they're not compared to the big buck models. As for price, it always pays to shop around, unless you simply want to support your LGS.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I just bought one recently, and I love it. I have more expensive 1911's in my stable, but this one shoots as well as any of them. $550 seems a bit much, though; I paid that much for a Springfield Armory 1911A1 and a stainless steel Taurus PT1911.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ... unless you simply want to support your LGS.
    And ya know, there's nothing wrong with that. Quite often, after I calculate shipping and xfer fees, my LGS might be $50 over. In which case, I'll buy it from my LGS.

It's nice having a place where I can handle the iron, tell a bunch of lies, and everybody knows me by name.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Thanks on the input, I was looking at one online, seeing if they'll go 425 shipped, if not I'll be headed to my local gun shop and listen to the ole timers tell lies drink coffee and bs with me, thanks for all the input
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

I have a RIA compact, very nice pistol for a low priced firearm.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Once again thanks everyone, worked out a very fair deal with the company, after I put atleast a hundred rounds thru it I'll post my reviews.

I know this is a bit after the fact but had you considered simply buying an Armscor 1911 vs. a RIA? Why not eliminate the middle man and buy a gun from the factory instead of one that is virtually identical aside from the name on the slide and paying for those extra stops along the way. I've had an Armscor with all the bells & whistles, not the basic GI model, I paid a bit over $400 for NIB for several years. It is a VERY well made gun that would still be a bargain if it cost twice as much. Actually, most people that have seen it think the gun is a higher end pistol and are shocked to find out how much such a well made 1911 cost me.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Is the RIA a good candidate for building your own semi-custom pistol? Gradually changing out parts or bobbing the frame grip? Would like to play around but just not with my Springers.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    I know this is a bit after the fact but had you considered simply buying an Armscor 1911 vs. a RIA? Why not eliminate the middle man and buy a gun from the factory instead of one that is virtually identical aside from the name on the slide and paying for those extra stops along the way. I've had an Armscor with all the bells & whistles, not the basic GI model, I paid a bit over $400 for NIB for several years. It is a VERY well made gun that would still be a bargain if it cost twice as much. Actually, most people that have seen it think the gun is a higher end pistol and are shocked to find out how much such a well made 1911 cost me.
    Armscor makes RIA pistols.
    NavyAirdale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Is the RIA a good candidate for building your own semi-custom pistol? Gradually changing out parts or bobbing the frame grip? Would like to play around but just not with my Springers.

Michael
    Yes, it's perfect for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links