The Covered Trigger Guard - Page 2

The Covered Trigger Guard

This is a discussion on The Covered Trigger Guard within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not really sure about how much of a danger is actually present for the average civilian carrying OWB on the street holstered with an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    I'm not really sure about how much of a danger is actually present for the average civilian carrying OWB on the street holstered with an uncovered trigger guard. Really a dead issue anyway since there aren't any anymore.
    Though I have owned a few in the distant past without incident.

But, I'll be gracious enough to admit defeat on this one...save for Single Action Army type Cowboy Guns...I'm "Stickin' To My Guns" on that one and...my own vintage, personal, 1911 OWB pancake holster.

Just a point of interest...

Texas Ranger Manuel T. "Lone Wolf" Gonzaules, who was said to have killed dozens of men in gunfights during his career in the early 1900's, habitually carried a pair of 1911's with the front of the trigger-guard ground off, the safety disabled, and in holsters that left the triggers exposed. Apparently it worked for him.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    Many years ago I carried a S&W Model 15 (yep that long ago) in a holster that left the trigger and trigger guard exposed.
    One night during a foot pursuit I had to go up and over a fence and somehow wehn I came down I could actually hear the 15 starting to cock.
    I froze and noticed that a small piece of pipe from the fence that had come loose had managed to find it way almost totally into my trigger, definitely enough to start cocking the weapon.
    I was fortunate enough that my hearing was in "hyper" mode at that time and managed to free it before the weapon discharged.
    Fom that point on, I never used a holster that did not fully cover the trigger and trigger guard!!
    I'm sure that there are others that have had similar experiences.

Very good lesson!

Don't you love the old K-frames. My 15-4 is one sweet shooting gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator

Post Credit To The Texas Rangers Hall Of Fame Site

Manuel Trazazas Gonzaullas
    "Lonewolf"
    1891-1977
    Manuel Trazazas Gonzaullas was born in 1891 in Cádiz, Spain to a Spanish father and Canadian mother who were naturalized U.S. citizens.

He served as a Mexican army major at age 20, worked five years for the U.S. Treasury Department, and joined the Texas Rangers in 1920. During the '20s and '30s, Gonzaullas enforced the law in the oil fields and on the border. Known as "El Lobo Solo" (the Lone Wolf), he pursued bootleggers, gamblers and drug runners alone.

In 1933, Governor Miriam Ferguson fired Gonzaullas and other Texas Rangers. In response, the Texas Legislature created the independent Department of Public Safety in 1935. Gonzaullus was appointed Superintendent of the D.P.S. Bureau of Intelligence and created a crime laboratory second only to that of the F.B.I. In 1940, Gonzaullas resigned from the Bureau and rejoined the Rangers as Captain of Company B in Dallas. After distinguished service, he retired in 1951, becoming a technical consultant for radio, motion pictures, and television shows such as Tales of the Texas Rangers. He helped found the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in 1968.

Captain Gonzaullas died in Dallas in 1977 at age 85, leaving his scrapbooks and personal papers to the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Just perhaps there is thinking for some - Glock shooters maybe - that an exposed trigger just could get caught on some protruberance when moving in confined spaces etc.
    A female friend wants to start carrying as well. However, her lifestyle doesn't lend itself to carrying a gun at work (she has to wear tight pants). She decided that her purse would be the best place. She was interested in Glocks until she went to the store and asked the guy about safeties,etc. She became extremely nervous about her lipstick or another item becoming lodged inside the trigger guard. She in now saving for the XD.40.

I don't have a particularly good opinion of Glocks, but this was on her own when she went. I was surprised and impressed that she was thinking like that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

SixBravo: There are purses that are specially made for carrying concealed. They have a particular compartment that holds the gun. Nothing else goes in that compartment.

She is wise to be worried about something getting lodged inside the trigger guard if using a regular purse. In addition, just putting the gun in the bottom of a regular purse means she probably won't be able to find it in time (given how long it takes most women to find their car keys).

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I dont see a problem with covered trigger guards.....
    I cant fit my finger between holster and gun anyway, so no danger there....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

It's not just limited to revolvers, striker fired, Glocks, or non-safety guns either. Eny mechanical device can fail. I could swipe the safety off when holstering my 1911 and there I am cocked and unlocked... just waiting for a snag. The covered trigger guard just makes me more comfortable. As long as it's a good holster, you can get a decent combat grip in the holster with or without the trigger guard aarea exposed.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    M1911: Yeah I've seen those. I mentioned it to her but she doesn't like "the style." She just wanted a gun with a big manual safety.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    somehow wehn I came down I could actually hear the 15 starting to cock.
    Have you had a bowel movement since then, or still too "puckered"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links