Shot placement - Page 2

Shot placement

This is a discussion on Shot placement within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 RR and CCW9mm -----------------------------------------------------------------...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot placement

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    +1 RR and CCW9mm

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Fear No Evil.

+1 to RR.

Defensive use of firearms to remove oneself from the scene and leave the offensive stuff to the professionals.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I carry a Sig 220ST most of the time and have trained with it enough to feel adequately protected by 8+1, same as with my 1911's....
    I also carry a GLOCK 32 and 33 occasionally (really hot, etc...), this caliber is smaller and has higher capacity, yet a bit more cajones than 9mm....
    The 454 SRH or the Model 29 Smith go with me into the woods and they are only 6 round capacity....
    Train with what you carry, be able to place shots and use every means possible to avoid having to ever fire in the first place....
    Lastly, never carry a weapon that you question or fires a round you question....
    Of course shot placement matters, however it is only part of the picture....
    Last edited by dimmak; August 17th, 2006 at 11:16 AM.
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That Does It - I'm Dumping My "Carry .45s" & Adopting A Spray & Pray Defensive Shooting Technique With A High Capacity .22 LR Rim fire Handgun.
    The Ultimate Best Handgun For Personal Self~Defense & Lightning Fast Shot To Shot Recovery.
    You sir are a genious! My sentiments exactly.....

BTW: what about a flame thrower?
    (OR a SAW...... )
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

Shot placement, then penetration. If you put the bullet in the right spot but it doesn't get to the vitals to do damage, your shot placement is of no consequence.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Shot placement, then penetration. If you put the bullet in the right spot but it doesn't get to the vitals to do damage, your shot placement is of no consequence.
    very well said.... Good point!

fm2
    Redneck Repairs, I am talking only about the context of criminal assault. I understand your point about movie scenarios and reality, and un-assing the AO etc... and I agree.

I believe you have a 50% or better chance that there will be more than BG. I believe BG's will stack the odds in their favor & it will be of an ambush nature.

dimmak & freakshow10mm, very good points.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I believe that Shot Placement is the King of Gun Battles and the Queen is the Size of the Caliber, the first Bishop is Magazine Capacity and the Knight is Rate of Accurate Fire.

Jungle Work

VIP Member
    I agree with shot placement and caliber being the main issues; but, that aside I think power has to be in the equation. I have a 32s&w long Iver Johnson revolver that was carried by a Milwaukee Det. I could never figure that one out, since the .32 s&w only has 100 ft-lbs.
    Family legend has it , it worked for him, so shot placement must be the bottom lie here.

Administrator

Talking I Like That Jungle Work

"I believe that Shot Placement is the King of Gun Battles and the Queen is the Size of the Caliber, the first Bishop is Magazine Capacity and the Knight is Rate of Accurate Fire."

Let me add though that when the King is a Warrior King - practiced and adept at doing battle...his Queen can be Fat & Chubby...His Bishop can relax in the abbey a bit because the skilled King and his fewer Knights will still be able win the Skirmish quickly.

I haven't decided which ammo to carry in the .45, as I just got the gun back from Kimber. I want to make sure it's 100% before putting expensive ammo through it, but it won't be a +P round. So for now I carry 7 rounds of 230gr FMJ with the .45, but I'll carry 15 rounds of Federal Hydrashock 124gr +P+ when I carry the 9MM. Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Administrator

The .45 FED PREMIUM Hydra Shok Personal Defense - Low Recoil 165gr JHP is very nice carry ammo.

Extremely Fast Shot To Shot Recovery in rapid fire.

It REALLY blew nice large holes in my wallet shooting a pile of it up 3 weeks ago though.

You can watch those Dollar Bills hitting the target dead on and lightning fast. It's not inexpensive ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fm2 View Post
    If you run out of ammo, then you still have a problem to solve, that's a reality you have to face whether you carry a J frame or whatever.
    The solution could be do something or die, as your fatalistic notion suggests.

To me, the longer you can keep shooting the better. If you have to take time toTRB, clear a malfunction, reload, whatever you are not shooting. That can open oppourtunities for the BGs. I want to minimize their options to counter.

To me, the fewest shots you have to take, the better. I'm not an LEO so I (thankfully) don't very often find myself in situations where I might need to carry two spare mags, flash-bangs, and an assault rifle to lay down suppressive fire. That said each person has his own comfort level and knows what is best in terms of preparation for his most likely scenario. When I do carry, it will be a .45. I am confident that this will work for me because I am well-practiced and damn good with my .45, and because I know a couple .45s to the chest will stop a BG long enough to give me a chance to run in a majority of the situations I am likely to encounter.
    Each to his own.

fm2
    lowflyer,

...the fewest shots you have to take, the better.
    I agree!

I'm not an LEO so I (thankfully) don't very often find myself in situations where I might need to carry two spare mags, flash-bangs, and an assault rifle to lay down suppressive fire.
    Check post #22. The situation most of us find ourselves in, on an everyday basis, is one of minimal threats of criminal assaults. But, they happen everyday, in multiplicity, in most cities.

That said each person has his own comfort level
    I agree, some are comfortable with a .22 as a carry gun.

and knows what is best in terms of preparation for his most likely scenario.
    I'm not sure if that's true. Knowing what to do and testing it out to see if and how it works out, in likely scenarios, is something we need to do. To quote one of my favorite clothing company's motto " You have to test to understand!".

When I do carry, it will be a .45. I am confident that this will work for me because I am well-practiced and damn good with my .45,
    That's great, you should carry what you practice with, in your carry gear and are confident in.

and because I know a couple .45s to the chest will stop a BG long enough to give me a chance to run in a majority of the situations I am likely to encounter.
    On the stopping issue, it all depends. How do you invision the scenario and how do you train that? If you train for 1 BG, showing a weapon, standing still, and at 7 yards; you will get good at that. How often are folks victimized that way? I think folks should train in the context of criminal assaults.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    8 x 230 = 1840 grains of .45 lead
    15 x 115 = 1725 grains of 9mm lead

This argument takes has a different in you live in a "blue" state where we have high cap law - so it's 10rounds of .45 vs 10rounds of 9mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links