Shot placement

Shot placement

This is a discussion on Shot placement within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've noticed a lot of people ask about bullets and caliber. What is best to use? IMHO, The best thing you can do is shot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot placement

Shot placement

I've noticed a lot of people ask about bullets and caliber. What is best to use?
    IMHO, The best thing you can do is shot placement. So it really doesn't matter what bullet or gun you use but where you put the bullet.
    With shot placement being so important don't you think that a higher capacity magazine load would be better then a low cap mag?
    I was thinking about this. A 9mm with 15 rounds would be better then an 8 round .45. I have better odds putting the bullet in the right place if I have more bullets to do that with.
    Then again I could be wrong. What do you fine folks think?

Use the most effective caliber you can carry, and shoot well, and practice with it until you can hit what you aim at under any conditions.

According to statistics, nearly all gunfights are over in 4 shots or less.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Assistant Administrator
    I really do not think ''anything'' has to be perforce better than ''anything else''!

Some folks might agree that one well placed .454 round would do all that was needed, but - IF it connects well!! Time to second shot after a miss will be significant.

Control of platform is inherently bound up with what cal and power level is being used - and so what matters for the individual, IMO - is that they themselves, with chosen platform and cal - can get hits every shot pretty reliably and under pressure too.

Caliber ''wars'' will always exist but yes, placement is everything - it has to be. I would much prefer a new shooter start of with a good 9mm and learn good shooting than have them flinching away with a .40 they are not happy with - those bullets do nothing of use unless they hit and hit well.

In the final analysis there has to also be the ''luck factor'' - you may get three solid hits all of which happen to miss vitals - or one hit could by itself render the BG out of action - regardless of caliber.

Thus we always come back to the need for good control, accuracy and so, placement - plus, the probable need to keep going until the threat ceases - hopefully before ammo dries up!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people ask about bullets and caliber. What is best to use?
    IMHO, The best thing you can do is shot placement. So it really doesn't matter what bullet or gun you use but where you put the bullet.
    With shot placement being so important don't you think that a higher capacity magazine load would be better then a low cap mag?
    I was thinking about this. A 9mm with 15 rounds would be better then an 8 round .45. I have better odds putting the bullet in the right place if I have more bullets to do that with.
    Then again I could be wrong. What do you fine folks think?
    It all depends. Under the premise that shot placement is far and away the most important factor then the 15 round 9 is only better than the 8 round .45 if you shoot it better. If you shoot better with the 8round .45 then it is the obvious choise.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    No caliber war for me. If you can put a single .22 rd. in an eye socket then you are in good shape.

I am a firm believer in more IS NOT better. Lots of the big fans of Mr. Cooper carry 30-50rds of ammo and call him their "guru". I believe that Mr.Cooper constantly professed shot placement.....NOT "spray and pray". I am not a huge fan of his but I, like him,believe that training will win the fight,not that extra mag or two on your belt.

Above all else, it's shot placement for me. -------

fm2
    It's just a pistol, shot placement is the high priority for me as well.

Let me be the Devil's Advocate. Do you always get the opportunity to place the shot in the most opportune place? Maybe yes, maybe no. The one variable you do get to select is caliber and load. Just a thought. John

Lead Moderator
    I shoot big calibers for bigger holes, but believe shot placement matters most .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    8 x 230 = 1840 grains of .45 lead
    15 x 115 = 1725 grains of 9mm lead

It's kind of a wash. I like the .45 because that's what I own and because I'd like to think that two well placed shots from a .45 will do more damage than two equally well placed 9mms.

fm2
    I don't want to run out of ammo and have to diddle with the gun while getting beat on or shot at in a multiple BG situation.
    I like the idea of having enough ammo that I don't have to concern myself with anything but solving the BG problem, front sight & press the trigger.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fm2 View Post
    I don't want to run out of ammo and have to diddle with the gun while getting beat on or shot at in a multiple BG situation.
    I like the idea of having enough ammo that I don't have to concern myself with anything but solving the BG problem, front sight & press the trigger.
    If you shoot well and still run out of ammo with a threat still present, "diddling" or not, you weren't going to survive anyway.

fm2
    If you shoot well and still run out of ammo with a threat still present, "diddling" or not, you weren't going to survive anyway.
    If you run out of ammo, then you still have a problem to solve, that's a reality you have to face whether you carry a J frame or whatever.
    The solution could be do something or die, as your fatalistic notion suggests.

To me, the longer you can keep shooting the better. If you have to take time toTRB, clear a malfunction, reload, whatever you are not shooting. That can open oppourtunities for the BGs. I want to minimize their options to counter.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    Use the most effective caliber you can carry, and shoot well, and practice with it until you can hit what you aim at under any conditions.
    Ballistics/statistics are all irrelevant unless the specific shots that you fire are on-target and effective. Remember that a number of the "gangland-style" executions over the years have been by .22cal pistols. Doesn't necessarily take a .45cal to stop an aggressive attacker. Sure helps, but that .45cal bad boy can miss just as surely as a .22 if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

This is the main reason I've got a well-balanced, high-capacity 9mm as my primary carry piece. I shoot best with it, bar none. Haven't yet found a good 1911 that I shoot as well, though a lot of that is probably familiarity. Still, I've always had this awful feeling that a 7rd magazine just might not be enough. I'd rather have 12-16rds plus a couple spare mags, just in case the statistically-probable situation doesn't come my way that day and, instead, is replaced by a hellaciously-rare one for me to solve. Can't go carrying a "pocket" shotgun, so it's a relatively high-cap 9mm +P for me. Great reliability, great capacity, great on-target percentage, great follow-up speed (with an on-target placement). Were I to find the same thing with a conealable 1911 with ~12rds @ 25-30oz that actually fit my smaller hands, then I just might well give it a shot.

As always: shot placement is everything. Shoot until the threat no longer exists. Pause, reassess. Call the authorities to handle clean-up, carting off the felon (or body), and to get the ball rolling on the inevitable follow-on nightmare of recriminations and lawsuits by the idiot's estate, etc. Pause, reassess, learn.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    That Does It - I'm Dumping My "Carry .45s" & Adopting A Spray & Pray Defensive Shooting Technique With A High Capacity .22 LR Rim fire Handgun.
    The Ultimate Best Handgun For Personal Self~Defense & Lightning Fast Shot To Shot Recovery.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Umm are you actively involved in hunting al quitea cells or something ?? common guys how many of you are going to hang around when the fecal matter hits the fan ?? Well neither are the badguys . Carry a firearm you can hit what you aim at with of reasonable power and leave the movie scenerios in the movies .. Tho i quoted one poster this is not directed soley at him . Lets step back , take a deep breath and consider reality .. Bad guys are not a rifle team , nor will they hang arround for arrest . I agree with carrying a reaload , or a BUG but the concern is weapon malfunction , not multiple zombies who just wont quit what they are doing when thier little prey sprouts fangs .
    Are there scenerios where 50 or even 100 rounds might be needed , shure there are , and i hope the responding officers have enough , for myself my priority is to get me , and my famly to hell out of there . Not to fight a firefight , what is in the pistol shoud do that fine , if not as stated a reload is there or a bug or both . I for one am headed for the nearest good cover / exit , and then doing my best to duck the news camras since i really dont want my 15 min of fame , someone else can play mouthbreather witness for them .

My opinion of course YMMV
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links