Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle

This is a discussion on Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just purchased a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, any suggestions as to what scope is best. Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle

Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle

Just purchased a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, any suggestions as to what scope is best. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I have a Leupold Scout 2.5 power scope on my Ruger Frontier rifle.
    azchevy and truckedup2 like this.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the purchase. We need pictures!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Did you buy it with the intent of useing a scout scope or just because its a good short muli-purpose rifle??? Or you going to hunt out to 300 to 400 yards ever?? Thats your first question. You can run ether scope type, scout or standard rifle. In the scout side you can do a burris 2.75 pwoer or a luppy 2.5 OR look at some of red dot/reflex scopes. If your not going to really use the peep rear site take it off and useing good QD rings to mount ether scope you could swap easily between needs. mount a 2.5 to 10 power burris scope for long range or a scout/dot/reflex for up close hunting as the ruger scout has the regular scope mount recess's on it.

Aimpoint Comp 3 or 4 with a Samson ARMS Quick Flip Mount and The Aimpoint 3XMag. IMHO that set up will give you everything you want from a Scout rifle as defined by Jeff Cooper. Be sure to have a BUIS set up
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I know they are expensive but any quality fixed 10 power is the way to go....
    truckedup2 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    Wow, that's about the worst answer I've ever seen. The guy bought a Scout rifle not a 1960s tactical style bolt gun.

@OP: Pick what you like best. Any glass in the $200+ to $400 dollar range is going to work great and last a long time. I like Nikon scopes quite a bit and think they are the best glass out there for the money.

The thing with the Scout style rifle though is that before you buy a scope you need to decide how you want to run the gun. Do you want a regular type mount? Then you can get just about anything. If you want to run the Scout type/long eye relief type scope then your options will be limited. Leupold makes a few Scout type scopes but IIRC they aren't cheap.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It sounds as if you do not have a grasp of what a "scout" rifle is. From Wikipedia
    Scout Rifle
    In the early 1980s, Cooper published an article describing his ideal of a general-purpose rifle, which he dubbed a Scout Rifle. This was a bolt-action carbine chambered in .30 caliber (7.62 mm), less than 1 meter in length, less than 3 kilograms in weight, with iron sights, a forward mounted optical sight, and fitted with a practical sling (such as Ching sling). Cooper defined his goal: "... a general-purpose rifle is a conveniently portable, individually operated firearm, capable of striking a single decisive blow, on a live target of up to 200 kilos in weight, at any distance at which the operator can shoot with the precision necessary to place a shot in a vital area of the target."
    For more info on a scout rifle. Here is an Article by Jeff Cooper The Scout Rifle Idea

While there are acceptable variants including semi auto and different calibers a 10 power scope undermines the whole idea and purpose of a Scout Rifle. Which is why I suggested an Aimpoint. Forward mounted per Jeff Cooper, unlimited eye relief with the quickest target acquisition of any sight I have ever used. The flip up 3X will provide just as quick target acquisition out to the limits of the rifles effective range.
    Last edited by LongRider; December 16th, 2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add link

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Wow, that's about the worst answer I've ever seen. The guy bought a Scout rifle not a 1960s tactical style bolt gun.

@OP: Pick what you like best. Any glass in the $200+ to $400 dollar range is going to work great and last a long time. I like Nikon scopes quite a bit and think they are the best glass out there for the money.

The thing with the Scout style rifle though is that before you buy a scope you need to decide how you want to run the gun. Do you want a regular type mount? Then you can get just about anything. If you want to run the Scout type/long eye relief type scope then your options will be limited. Leupold makes a few Scout type scopes but IIRC they aren't cheap.
    I thought thats what the scout rifle was all about..scout scope, long eye relief. Can you even mount a standard eye relief scope on it?
    BTW, looks like a nice rifle in a great caliber...congratulations
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I thought thats what the scout rifle was all about..scout scope, long eye relief. Can you even mount a standard eye relief scope on it?
    BTW, looks like a nice rifle in a great caliber...congratulations
    Yes, you can use a scope with standard eye relief
    Leatherwood 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scout Scope
    Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6 30mm Riflescope

You can also use a cant optics mount if you do not want to use the scope, just cant the rifle 45 degrees and use red dot or reflex for close to mid range shots.

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup2 View Post
    Just purchased a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, any suggestions as to what scope is best. Thanks
    Depends what you are going to use the rifle for?

Are you going to make it a standard bolt gun? or are you going to use it for multi purpose?

I should have clarified that earlier before all the couch potato google experts jumped all over my case.

Some times guys will buy a rifle like the ruger scout and not use it for a scout rifle purpose...
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 20th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.

VIP Member
    Any time you wanna go to the range scrub!
    Go to the range and what? You gave some crummy advice, live with it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Go to the range and what? You gave some crummy advice, live with it.
    If I were there I would shoot a gun.

I don't know much about scopes but a fixed 10x does seem a bit limiting.

If I were to get a scope, I'd get a fixed 4x power one. It's a stalk and hunt gun, so you are not likely to adjust the magnification much. 4x is what the military uses, and it's the magnification my hunting camp uses. The magnification works out quite well for both long and medium range shots. Basically anything up 300 yards with practice.

That's just my take on the matter.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Guess no reply will come to anyones post.

This obviously was the more appropriate response. As I made the mistake of thinking the poster was unaware that the Gunsite Scout is a purpose built rifle. My efforts to help out and be considerate by providing to help him understand what a Scout was about, and what better source than Jeff Coopers first article about his Scout rifle idea, that has a link to
    ScoutRifle.org - Jeff Coopers Scout Definition

By the definition of the Scout Rifle Conferences held under the auspices of Jeff Cooper the scout rifle has been defined as a general purpose rifle suitable for taking targets of up to 400 kg (880 pounds) at ranges to the limit of the shooters visibility (nominally 300 meters) that meets the following criteria:

Weight-sighted and slung: 3 kilograms (6.6 lb). This has been set as the ideal weight but the maximum has been stated as being 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds ).
    Length: 1 meter (39 inches)
    Nominal barrel length: .48 meter (19 inches)
    Sighting system: Typically a forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary.* Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope, also qualify, as does a low powered conventional position scope.
    Action: Magazine fed bolt action. Detachable box magazine and/or stripper clip charging is desirable but not necessary.
    Sling: Fast loop-up type, i.e. Ching or CW style.
    Caliber: Nominally .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm). Calibers such as 7 mm - 08 Remington (7 x 51 mm) or .243 Winchester (6 x 51 mm) being considered for frail individuals or where "military" calibers are proscribed.
    Built-in bipod: Desirable but not mandatory.
    Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).
    As a thank you for taking the time to provide credible verifiable information/links I get called a "couch potato google expert" Real class act there. Why is it that these new comer knowit alls take it as a personal affront when facts contradict their ignorant assumptions? Than resort to personal insults, rather than appreciate the opportunity to learn something.

I learned something. Your response was more appropriate and useful. Than wasting my time with a know it all.

Depends what you are going to use the rifle for?

Are you going to make it a standard bolt gun? or are you going to use it for multi purpose?

I should have clarified that earlier before all the couch potato google experts jumped all over my case.

Some times guys will buy a rifle like the ruger scout and not use it for a scout rifle purpose...
    Most folks are not complete and absolute morons that would buy a purpose built rifle. Designed and produced to fill a specific niche, in this case a light weight quickly deployed short to mid range general purpose rifle. A 2 MOA rifle designed and built to have a effective out to 400 yards. Designed to use open sights or 1X to 4X max optics. Than spend a grand to add a 1.2 lb to 2 lb scope to a 7 lb rifle to make a lightweight rifle bulky and cumbersome with an optic that makes the rifle useless for the ranges it was intended for. A 10X scope is best used from 250 yards on out to 1000. Under this range, the 10x becomes a liability as your field of view is so reduced that if the subject of your attention moves laterally -- even slightly -- he could walk right out of your viewing area.

I have no reason to believe that the OP is a complete idiot. I am sure that if the OP wanted a long range 1,000 yard rifle than that is what he would have gotten. truckedup2 please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. He could have just as easily purchased something like any Remington 700 for the same price point. That is for better suited for longer ranges and an excellent foundation to upgrade into the finest 1000 yard 308 tack driver around.
    Last edited by LongRider; December 19th, 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: correct grammer
    truckedup2 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links