Defensive Carry banner

Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle

25K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  TommyGun4169 
#1 ·
Just purchased a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, any suggestions as to what scope is best. Thanks

#3 ·
Congrats on the purchase. We need pictures!

#4 ·
Did you buy it with the intent of useing a scout scope or just because its a good short muli-purpose rifle??? Or you going to hunt out to 300 to 400 yards ever?? Thats your first question. You can run ether scope type, scout or standard rifle. In the scout side you can do a burris 2.75 pwoer or a luppy 2.5 OR look at some of red dot/reflex scopes. If your not going to really use the peep rear site take it off and useing good QD rings to mount ether scope you could swap easily between needs. mount a 2.5 to 10 power burris scope for long range or a scout/dot/reflex for up close hunting as the ruger scout has the regular scope mount recess's on it.

#5 ·
Aimpoint Comp 3 or 4 with a Samson ARMS Quick Flip Mount and The Aimpoint 3XMag. IMHO that set up will give you everything you want from a Scout rifle as defined by Jeff Cooper. Be sure to have a BUIS set up

#7 ·
Wow, that's about the worst answer I've ever seen. The guy bought a Scout rifle not a 1960s tactical style bolt gun.

@OP: Pick what you like best. Any glass in the $200+ to $400 dollar range is going to work great and last a long time. I like Nikon scopes quite a bit and think they are the best glass out there for the money.

The thing with the Scout style rifle though is that before you buy a scope you need to decide how you want to run the gun. Do you want a regular type mount? Then you can get just about anything. If you want to run the Scout type/long eye relief type scope then your options will be limited. Leupold makes a few Scout type scopes but IIRC they aren't cheap.

#13 ·
If I were to get a scope, I'd get a fixed 4x power one. It's a stalk and hunt gun, so you are not likely to adjust the magnification much. 4x is what the military uses, and it's the magnification my hunting camp uses. The magnification works out quite well for both long and medium range shots. Basically anything up 300 yards with practice.

That's just my take on the matter.

#20 ·
The Ruger looks like an updated Rem. 600 with a boxy mag added.

#21 ·
Good eye. It was a Remington 600 that Jeff Cooper modified into the very first prototype for his Scout Rifle concept.
From Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifles
In Cooper’s words, he “revived” the term “Scout Rifle” in 1968 when he acquired a 6½-pound Remington 600 chambered in .308. He removed the rifle’s plastic rib and front bead sight, replacing that arrangement with a rear ghost-ring and square-notch front post. This was the first Cooper Scout Rifle, a prototype of things to come. His 17-year-old daughter Parry went on to win two open-rifle competitions with the little gun

Reactions: truckedup2
#22 ·
My brothers in Arms, thanks for all the good info with regards to my query for a scoped Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. But there is no need for personal insults,
it's silly to ruin your day over an opinion other than your own. Lets keep the forum in the spirit of what it should be, to create a wealth of good information
for everyone. Lets leave the fighting to the politicians. Thanks Tom

#23 ·
Hello and thanks for the tip. Do you hunt with your Frontier? and how do you like the foreword position for a scope? I like the idea of using both eyes
although I have not tried it as I can't fire the gun till spring. I just like shooting with my 13 year old son. Thanks Tom

#25 ·
le, it's got to be the best all-round rifle ! You can hunt with it, you can use it for defense or tactical purposes. Get some 20-30 round magazines for it and you have a decent tactical rifle ! Bolt actions last forever and need little maintenance compared to semi-autos. With a little practice anyone can become proficient with a bolt action rifle ! It's nice to see a good old school rifle come on the scene !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.