Defensive Carry banner

Going back to Cali?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  BaldEagle 
#1 ·
Ok, so I may be moving back to cali against my will for a couple years. My question is, I have a couple guns not on the DOJ roster list. From my limited research it looks like it's ok if I bring them in to cali as long as I have 10 rd magazines. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

#2 ·
I would say they would be on the list with that stipulation{10 rd mag}.

I E : Glock 19 w/10 rnd mag.??/

Meaning, if it ain't on there, my guess would be it isn't invited to the party

Not to familiar with Komifornia gun laws.
All I know, is that that state would be about #49 on my list of states to live in.
Beating out Massachusetts only because of the weather.

#3 ·
You can bring your off list handguns with you as long as you have 10 round mags for them. You can keep your standard capacity mags, you just have to have them dissasembled and can't reassemble them while in CA. There is a form on the CA DOJ site you have to fill our for each handgun and pay a $19 fee for each handgun. If you are planning to be in CA long term, try to buy any guns you want that are not "CA Safe" before you move there. If you are going to bring an AR or other evil black rifle, there are additional laws you will have to follow.

#4 ·
True. It is also OK to buy an off-list weapon here in a private sale through a licensed dealer. BTW, "Cali" is a city in Colombia, unless you are 14 years old or a rapper. You folks in Texaco ought to know that ;-)

#13 ·
Many of the answers above are wrong/un-informed. Sorry, not trying to be mean, simply pointing out the facts. A very very good site to visit is calguns.net where your questions have been asked many times. Also, great for information is the CalGuns Foundation Wiki (link to "Moving to California").

1) Yes, bringing your guns with you is fine, even if not on the safe handgun list. As mentioned you will need to file the paperwork w/ DOJ though. Also as mentioned, if it might apply, learn about what qualifies as an "assault weapon" and how to avoid drama over them.

2) *IF* you owned greater-than-10-round magazines IN CALIFORNIA FOR EVEN A MICROSECOND prior to Jan 1, 2000, bringing them back to California is FINE (CalGuns Foundation Wiki Link).

1) Many "not on the safe list" handguns can be legally obtained. I own an LCP. Purchased via "single shot exemption"; 100% legal.

The calguns site has reports of DOJ not properly answering questions. Again I suggest calguns. The wealth of knowledge there, and the strong ties to the CalGuns Foundation (completely separate entities, similar names) make it about the best online resource for California information.

Finally, although many of the people here are a little wacky in regards to the 2ndA, not all of them are. And we are making progress towards restoring rights that have been taken away. So, don't look too harshly against a move here.

#6 ·
I do know you cannot have anything more than a 10 rd magazine. When I retired in 2010 I was asked and had to sign that I did not posses any magazine larger than 10 rd that was not previously grandfathered in.

Now on to the the weapon not available for sale to the public due to out draconian laws...for exaple the Ruger LCP....I don't know if you are allowed to posses them so I would contact the DOJ. I do know that since I am retired I am allowed to posses those weapond that have not passed all the safety crap required by california.

#8 · (Edited)
Now on to the the weapon not available for sale to the public due to out draconian laws...for exaple the Ruger LCP....I don't know if you are allowed to posses them so I would contact the DOJ. I do know that since I am retired I am allowed to posses those weapond that have not passed all the safety crap required by california.
I have one and my local Sheriff approved it for CCW carry along with a series 70 Colt, also not on the list. I bought the LCP second hand from a LEO buddy who only fire a few rounds through it, through an FFL who had to read up on the transaction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.