Use It or Lose It - Hearing Protection

This is a discussion on Use It or Lose It - Hearing Protection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Made this public service announcement style video on hearing protection and thought I'd pass it along....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Amsdorf

Thread: Use It or Lose It - Hearing Protection

Use It or Lose It - Hearing Protection

Made this public service announcement style video on hearing protection and thought I'd pass it along.

QKShooter likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I've already lost it and also have a bad case of tinnitus in both ears from too many firefights during military combat along with countless hundreds of gernades and mortar shells going off waaaaayyyy too close. However, I still religiously wear hearing protection when shooting to help preserve the little I have left.

"Hey, I got a new hearing aid yesterday and it works really great"
    "Cool - what kind is it?"
    "10:45am"

Hearing aids are also a constant source of embarrassment - everyone started laughing when I arrived at work the other day.
    Fred said "hey, you've got a butt-bullet sticking out of your ear"
    "A what?" I asked.
    "A suppository - you've got a suppository sticking out of your ear"
    Geeeeezze, I immediately knew where to look for my hearing aid

Senior Moderator
    Shooting with suppressors go a looonnnnngggg way to preserving ones hearing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah, Tinnitus here as well - both ears 24/7 from too much heavy metal guitar playing in my younger years, little did I know hearing loss can be gradual.

I'll pay the price for the rest of my life, and the worst part is not being able to hear my kids half the time. I've all but given up watching TV, can't make out half the words so I either try and guess based on what's going on or annoy others by asking 'what did they say?'.

Hearing protection is pretty cool stuff in hindsight.

Any time you question whether you should go through the hassle of wearing it, ask yourself if it would be better to have the sound of a mosquito in your ears the rest of your life, all day, all night, for the rest of your life.

If there was a drug or procedure that would give me my hearing back and get rid of the tinnitus, but would shorten my life by 5 years - I'd be first in line.

+1 on what eaglebeak said. Toss in a year spent with 11th marines(artillery)... I always use the foamies under my muffs. I can't stand the ringing
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I've been using EP4 from Surefire for the past few years. Put them in before getting to the range or going afield. Comfortable and effective.

Vision/Hearing Protection USE EM OR LOSE EM
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Yeah, Tinnitus here as well - both ears 24/7 from too much heavy metal guitar playing in my younger years, little did I know hearing loss can be gradual.

I'll pay the price for the rest of my life, and the worst part is not being able to hear my kids half the time. I've all but given up watching TV, can't make out half the words so I either try and guess based on what's going on or annoy others by asking 'what did they say?'.

Hearing protection is pretty cool stuff in hindsight.

Any time you question whether you should go through the hassle of wearing it, ask yourself if it would be better to have the sound of a mosquito in your ears the rest of your life, all day, all night, for the rest of your life.

If there was a drug or procedure that would give me my hearing back and get rid of the tinnitus, but would shorten my life by 5 years - I'd be first in line.
    I have taught everyone in my home to get used to Closed Caption on TV!!! I,m A 50 year old speed reader !!!!.. Andof course doulble up plugs and muffs when I shoot now.

I love closed caption, if only because I can tell the kids to keep the TV quieter.

The progress on earing augmentics is such that I think worrying about my hearing is worth my time. If I'm going to be a customer of those types of products, I'd rather delay that for as long as possible.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Links