Do you support your local gun shop?

This is a discussion on Do you support your local gun shop? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Do you support your local gun shop?

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I support local gunshops to the extent that they support me by offering competetive prices and available merchandise.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I try... unfortunately my local gun shop is pretty weak on selection, not to mention the $45 they charge for an FFL fee when they don't have something I want.

I've since found another local FFL that charges $20 and will make an effort to find me good prices. I'd rather pay a little more to support the local business when possible. I'm not a fan of using local gun shops to check fit and finish, then order elsewhere if I can avoid it.

VIP Member
    Wow. Your LGS makes mine look like the Brady headquarters. We have nothing even close to that.

I have no problem paying a little more for the stores that demonstrate a little customer service.

Sadly, I recently had one of my favorite LGS's spontaneously refuse an FFL xfer because the owner decided that the paperwork was a headache and he didn't want to do that anymore. I guess he didn't recognize me over the phone, or just didn't care. In any case, he screwed the order up royally, and I will ensure that I don't darken his door again. Off the top of my head, I've spent around 3K in that store over the last two years.

VIP Member
    IF you are lucky enough to have a LGS that carries a reasonably large selection, and IF they are at least in the ballpark on price, and IF they are not complete business-idiots, I will gladly pay a little more to support a brick and mortar store.

In case you didn't notice, that is alot of "IFs". Personally, I appreciate being able to handle the merchandise a little before shelling out the dough, and it is worth something. The personal interaction is almost always beneficial in any business. Is a shop owner or clerk more likely or less likely to negotiate a little looser with a "friend" who comes in frequently or Joe Schmoe who comes in once in a Blue Moon?

I am with MA on this. Support the GOOD local gun shops. The BAD ones will eventually dissapear anyway.
    WHEC724, TN_Mike and oneshot like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Yes I do.

Could have saved over $30 if I bought on GB, but decided the guys at the shop deserved my money in MI.
    We are hard hit here, insofar as the economy, so I figure I did right.
    Less hassle, walked out with the goods in hand, instead of FFL-FFL transfer and whatnot.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

We had two local gunshops and I always tried to give them my business whenever possible. However, both went out of business recently. So now it is either Academy or Cabellas. There really isn't anything else in town.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Im lucky enough to be in a fairly large enough city that I have two local places that I have patroned and plan to. given the pricing is reasonable. As fire as the firearms go they both are very competitive and I buy them atleast locally. If they dont carry what I need I will look around. I just had to order a good holster directly from the maker as the locals just didnt have what I liked.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    We had two local gunshops and I always tried to give them my business whenever possible. However, both went out of business recently. So now it is either Academy or Cabellas. There really isn't anything else in town.
    See, that's what worries me. I hate seeing the "ma and pop" gun shops shutting down. I don't mind the Bass Pro's and Cabellas of the world, I shop there too sometimes. I try to do my best to support my local businesses. Sometimes you forget how nice it is to have them in town, until they close up shop and you don't have them anymore.

The gun shop is part of our culture. The fact they are in town reenforces our position on firearms ownership within the community. If folks see the local gun shop sitting next to the local grocery store, it's normal to them. In the absence of a constant positive reminder, some folks that aren't "gun people" tend to lose sight of things. That's how gun laws get passed... apathetic or ignorant people that aren't part of our culture.
    oneshot likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I agree with wmhawth 1,000,000,000% if you are going to have super high prices and not help support my budget then I'm not going to help support you. I mean the guys around here are wayyyyy higher then internet stores. My lgs I use the most was $150 higher on a m&p 9c that I just ordered. If your not even going to try to be competitive then you cant expect my business. We would never get jobs if we were way high on bids.

Yup, and I'll be doing it again tomorrow....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I do support (buy from) my local gun shop but their selection is rather limited. Mostly though he can order whatever I ask for and have it within 2 days. If not, I will drive for 1 hour to another shop I frequent. Never buy through internet stores.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Is Arizona simply different? I keep seeing that folks only have one or maybe two shops to choose from, yet in my little city in Northern AZ we have literally 10 locally owned gun shops to choose from, not including Walmart, Cal Ranch, Big 5 exc exc.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Yes and No

I buy pretty much all my ammo from Cabelas. But occasionally my LGS will have defensive ammo cheaper than Cabelas.

I have bought 3 guns off of Gunbroker, 2 rare finds that I would pretty much never find in LGS and another for price and availablity.

When my girlfriend bought a gun with my assistance, we started at the LGS, moved on to a few big box stores and when we knew what she wanted, we went back to the LGS, had the salesman I always work with ring us up and get a commission. We could have done a purchase online and saved $50-60 on her new pistol but we both thought that it was worth supporting not only the LGS but the local salesman who is great working with experienced and non-experienced customers and had made her feel most comfortable with the gun purchasing process.

I shop at both online vendors, big box stores and local gun shops. Sometimes each vedor offers a specific product or service I need which only they can accomodate.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Yep....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links