Defensive Carry banner

Field Grade Garand?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Eaglebeak 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the field grade garands from the CMP are any good? They are out of all the service grades.
Would like a shooter with some accuracy. Doesn't need to be perfect

#2 ·
I'm thinking they'll be better than described when received.

I've obtained several different rifles from CMP over the years and have always been pleasantly surprised. It's been some years now though for me.

I do have a gun bud who gets the occasional CMP field grade M1 in and I like the looks of them all. I haven't shot but one of them though. It was fine for use to 300 yards with ball ammo.

#4 ·
I bought one 8 years ago and it was in very good condition and I wasn't aware of the ammo differernce until after a year of owning it.
The cost of owning so many different caliber rifles made it difficult to keep them all in ammo so I think we shot one box of ammo
at 12bucks.

#5 ·
Field Grade means that its been checked with a "Field" grade headspace guage.

Field grade means that the headspace is at the end of its serviceable life and it dosent have much left. It'll work, it just wont be as tight as some would like.

If you just want to plink with it and shoot stuff, it'll be fine. If you want it for a target rifle to shoot small groups, you wont be satisfied with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.