mossberg maverick 88 security 8 shot, shotty

This is a discussion on mossberg maverick 88 security 8 shot, shotty within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's your knowledge and or experience with them and is there anything tricks to em?...

Thread: mossberg maverick 88 security 8 shot, shotty

Question mossberg maverick 88 security 8 shot, shotty

What's your knowledge and or experience with them and is there anything tricks to em?
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Just got a new one, intact the same exact model. It's just got some parts made in Mexico and has a crossbolt safety. Other than that its a mossberg 500, even takes some 500 parts including barrels. I used to have one before that I traded for my revolver, that I sold to get another. It's a pretty good entry level shotgun. The only gripe I have is the foregrip isn't compatible with 500 parts. You can get them at cheaperthandirt.com for 200 bucks right now.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I have one that I keep at home as a HD weapon. It is a great gun for the price point that has held up well and given me zero problems since I took it out of the box. I don't shoot with it all that much, once a month or so just to keep up with it. I haven't had a single issue with feeding, firing or ejecting with any ammo I have run through. It's a basic gun that will shoot when you want it to.

I like it quite a bit with one exception, the action lock is behind the trigger assembly on the left side of the gun and it is rather small in comparison to others. With some time and practice though, it becomes normal, it's just a bit odd to get used to at first.

I put a side saddle shell holder and an ATI pistol grip/shoulder stock on it. The only thing left to do is slap a light on it.

I bought one of these as my first shotgun. It was nice when I took it to the range once. Then it got stolen.

It was back when I thought pistol grips were awesome. Finally realized a traditional stock still exists for a reason. Overall you will do alright with one. Don't know if it holds up to hard use, but for someone looking to buy one to throw in the closet it's enough.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    They are good guns. Some mossberg aftermarket parts fit them, some dont. If you plan on leaving it stock, save your money by getting the Mavrick and don't look back.

I have a mossberg 500 that I've used and abused for years and I'm retiring it to my hd gun after some modifications, I plan on using and abusing the maverick the same way I've already ordered it I got it for $230 out the door, so as time goes by I'll let ya know how it holds up
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Links