First Firearm for Granddaughters Christmas Present

This is a discussion on First Firearm for Granddaughters Christmas Present within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My granddaughter is 10 years old. She has been wanting to go deer hunting and shoot her own deer ever since she ate some venison ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: First Firearm for Granddaughters Christmas Present

First Firearm for Granddaughters Christmas Present

My granddaughter is 10 years old. She has been wanting to go deer hunting and shoot her own deer ever since she ate some venison two years ago. Since grandpa has been relegated to teaching her how to shoot, hunt and to learn survival and self reliant living skills, I've been trying to decide what to get her as a first gun.

I had planned on getting her a single shot .22 LR. I have a friend who has one of those Crickett .22's (and they are available with a pink stock) but did not want to get her something she'd outgrow in just a year or two.

Looking on YouTube I found a video recommending good 1st time firearms for youths and decided on the Rossi Trifecta. A single shot break open, it comes with a .22 LR barrel as well as a 20 ga shotgun barrel and a .243 Win barrel.

The shotgun barrel has a brass bead sight, and both the .22 LR and .243 Win barrels has fiber optic iron sights which has bright orange front and fluorescent green rear sights. The .22 LR is also tapped and drilled for a scope and the .243 Win comes with a mounted weaver scope rail. I believe the .243 Win barrel is 22 inches so she won't lose any of the ballistic performance in that caliber either.

The synthetic stock also has a removable cheek piece which can be left on for scope use or removed when using the irons.

It also comes with a nice case which holds the receiver and all three barrels when taken down.

I picked it up from my FFL last night and I must say I think it will be a perfect all around 1st gun for my granddaughter. Something she won't outgrow in a year, and something she can use to hunt, shoot clays or just plink.

S2022243YBS.jpg
    Last edited by Bark'n; December 17th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good choice.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Sounds great. I hope you both enjoy it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Merry Christmas! Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with your Grandaughter, which is as it should be.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Grandpas are awesome.....

Grandpa gave my 7YO the Rossi Trifecta for his birthday. He is still a bit little for it, but I'm having a great time borrowing Rossi range time from my son. It will fit him well in the next year or two. Don't fret everyone, he gets practice with the .22 cricket. As far as outgrowing the cricket, I can attest that it's still fun for adults.

3YO = .22 cricket obtained in the womb
    5YO (girl) = pink .22 cricket and a model 24 .22 (once again too heavy, but fun for dad)

Yes... I like my Father-In-Law

My grandson shoots a lot better with a straight iron sight .22, than the optic one on the Rossi. So, he shot his sisters Marlin .22 more than anything (Marlin 915Y). He won't shoot the Rossi with the .410 Rossi shotgun barrel on it, that sucker kicks good. He would rather shoot a regular youth 20 ga shotgun with a recoil pad than the .410 Rossi. And he's scrawny and thin for his age. I understand what they meant though when I shot it.

So, the .410 Rossi has ended up my handy snake gun when on the farm... for rattlesnakes and such.

My granddaughter has gotten hooked on Marlins from 10 yrs old to now (15) as to rifles. She likes the Remington rifle for larger caliber with scope, and a double barrel & a Mossberg youth pump for shotguns. She's the type that would rather have 1) an AR, or 2) a Henry or Marlin lever action for a general rifle, but won't give up her Marlin single shot .22 to her brother for anything. She's also the one determined to have her CC license @ 21, and what she's shown me she wants for her 21st birthday.... a black 1911 Springfield EMP or Kimber. She says it HAS TO BE Black.
    Bark'n likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links