First IDPA Match Tomorrow

This is a discussion on First IDPA Match Tomorrow within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am pretty excited to be shooting my first IDPA match tomorrow. I got my Glock 19 back in October and have about 1,500 rounds ...

Thread: First IDPA Match Tomorrow

I am pretty excited to be shooting my first IDPA match tomorrow. I got my Glock 19 back in October and have about 1,500 rounds through it so far. I went to a match a few weekends ago and helped out (running the lights since it was a low light match and sticking targets). I have pretty good feel for what to expect. A friend of mine is a pretty accomplished shooter (SSP Master I think) and has been helping me out. I am still kind of nervous/excited to be shooting my first match. I know this is not really "training" but I can't help but look at this as being very practical and a good tool for me to develop some good skills as a new shooter.

My goal is to shoot the stages at my own pace and just go for good hits and not worry about speed. It will take some discipline for me to stick with that plan, but I am hoping that is how it will work out. At the match I helped out with there was a newish shooter and he was trying to go far faster than his skills allowed and had quite a few FTN targets. I do not want to be that guy.

I will post back here and report on how it goes. I think this is something I could be quite good at if I practice enough. The goal for tomorrow is to just go and have some fun and be safe.

One question for you guys. When you get the command to unload and show clear. I get that you remove the magazine, but do you put the pistol in slidelock, or just rack it to eject the chambered round?
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good luck.

stick to your plan for accuracy and smooth and you will please yourself.
    with each change in target group, remind yourself--smooth not speed.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Good luck, something I would love to get into some day!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

To answer your question ...I always lock back my slide. Good luck
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

JD
    Administrator
    They will ask you to "unload, show clear, you can either lock the side to the rear or just hold it open. Just make sure not to send the slide forward until they verify clear.

Better yet, ask the SO if they want it locked or just held open.

You took a good approach, that of being an involved observer first, but the very best teaching comes from doing it yourself! You will undoubtedly be your own severest critic once you've run the stages.

Stay safe, watch your muzzle, and keep that finger out of the trigger guard when you're moving from station to station. Have fun! Post back here with how it went for you, and your observations.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I want to try this someday too - it really sounds like fun. Good luck tomorrow. We are looking forward to a report on how it went.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm
    CrossBreed Super Tuck
    Glock 27
    Galco IWB
    SureFire E2D

VIP Member
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

So, I have bad news to report. The match was cancelled due to some flooding, and was rescheduled for next Tuesday. I was really let down, I was looking forward to this all day while I was at work. I am trying to spin it to the positive since I am going shooting on Christmas, I will get one more practice in before my first match. I appreciate all the words of support on here. I will be sure to let you all know how it goes next week.

In the meantime, take the opportunity to do a lot of dry-fire practice in front of a mirror. First, make sure there is NO live ammo around, and pay particular attention to Rule 2. But work on your draw, slowly - do it step-by-step. Bring the gun up to where your eyes are already focused, rather then trying to focus on where the gun is. Grab a couple of EMPTY mags, and as a separate drill, work on your reloads. Punch the release, drop the empty, load a fresh on and slam it home... "rinse and repeat." This latter one you can even do while sitting in front of the TV (still paying heed to Rule 2). I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much difference this zero-cost practice improves the skills.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Smitty, I did a ton of reloading practice before and I was very happy with the speed of my reloads at the match. Obviously at this point everything I do needs improvement, but the reloads were smooth and did not require much mental effort, which made me happy.

First IDPA Match

For starters, I have been very lucky to meet extremely nice people in the shooting community and tonight was no exception. Everyone made me feel very comfortable. I was placed near the end of my squad, which was nice since I could see lots of other people shoot the stage first. My friend who is a pretty accomplished shooter was one of the SOs so that made me more comfortable as well.

I had two goals going into tonight. I wanted to be smooth and make good hits (goal 1) and be safe (goal 2). I had very few misses and only had two FTN targets out of all 4 stages. Both of my FTN targets were the first targets on the stage. I think I was getting excited and shooting a little to fast early on. I had many targets that were down 0 and only missed 1 headshot all night so I was pretty pleased with my accuracy. I was pretty slow on my times, but I did not really run or move to fast through the stages. I wanted to make sure I was safe and under control the whole time. I think as I get more comfortable my movements between shooting will speed up.

I really like the scenarios that were run. They sort of built on one another and either had to do with a home invasion while you were taking down your Christmas lights, or a public shooting while you were at a store returning a present. They were well thought out and left some space for the shooter to make some decisions. I was surprised with how far the shots were. A long shot was about 20 yards. I have been practicing out to 25 yards and beyond and I think that really helped me because I was not intimidated by any of the shot distances.

At the end of the night the match director came over and said some nice things to me about handling myself safely and shooting well. I am hooked for sure and will be doing this again. With where I live, as long as I am willing to drive about 45 minutes I can shoot at least once a week somewhere. My goal is to start shooting matches twice a month and see where my skills go.

As for right now I just need to keep working on the fundamentals of drawing, reloading, and shooting on the move.

Thanks to everyone here for their support. When I get the results I will post them on here. My buddy who shot it with me said he thought I would be about middle of the pack. I am not sure since it was my first one and I was not really focused too much on how other people were doing. If anyone reading this is thinking about doing one of these competitions my advice is to just find one and do it. I had a great experience and I think most people that have a good safety foundation and some decent shooting and gun handling skills will have a great experience as well.

Results

I came in 4th out of 6 overall in SSP. I put up a better time than the other unclassified person and shot it faster than a Sharpshooter who must have been having an off night. Overall I was 13 out of 20 shooters, but that is not really comparing apples to apples as there were 3 revolver shooters at the match. Overall I shot it 54 points down. I averaged the total points down for the match and per person it averaged out to 42.3 so I am pleased with that. What do most of you guys look for when you are going over your results? I am looking for some kind of tangible measure of improvement, but I am not sure what to focus on. I am used to powerlifting where the comparison is simple. If you lifted more weight, then you are getting better. This does not really breakdown that way since the stages are always different, so maybe I am looking for something that does not exist.

For now my standard for success is going to be a simple question. Did I have fun? The answer for last night was a resounding yes. I was fully expecting to come in dead last so I am encouraged by the results.

Glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed yourself! IDPA is as much fun as it is quality practice for being accurate under stress. In IDPA, you get to fire from around obstacles, shoot on the move, fire one handed and weak handed, point shoot without using sights, etc. I have so much more of a quality experience shooting IDPA than I ever did shooting from a booth at the local indoor range. At out local outdoor IDPA matches, we routinely have stages with moving and disappearing targets which really sharpen your shooting skills.

The only time I shoot from a booth anymore is just for sight adjustments or function checking. Other than that, shooting from a booth is just wasting ammo to me. If I am going to be burning through some ammo, it is going to be against the clock for a score to measure my performance.

54 points down is a little on the heavy side for just 4 stages. 54 points down is 27 seconds added to the actual raw time you spent shooting the stages. IDPA is more of an accuracy weighted sport than it is speed weighted when it comes down to scoring. Back when I first started out with IDPA, the more experienced shooters always told me that you can't miss fast enough to win! Very true! Primarily strive for accuracy since you are just stepping into the sport. Your speed will naturally get better with the more shooting time you get under your belt. The more you shoot IDPA, the more comfortable you will get with all the moving around and off handed shots while operating you gun in a safe manner. Just give it time and don't rush the clock for time's sake.

I've been shooting IDPA for two years now and started off as a mid level Marksman and have just recently classified Expert in CDP. It has been a long, yet fun road to get there. I haven't really pushed myself to move up - It just came naturally the more I shot IDPA. I doubt if I will ever make Master, but I shoot primarily for the fun practice I get from it. If I end up getting faster yet, then good. If not, I'm still quite happy getting some fun practice for proficiency's sake a couple times a month. Shooting IDPA will put you miles ahead of the average concealed carrier out there.

I totally agree that 54 points down is high. I usually shot a lot better at the end of a stage than in the beginning. I learned a lot about what I need to do to get better. I am hoping after a few months I can cut my points down about in half. I think if I can shoot an average of 5-8 points down per stage I can be pretty competitive.

I totally agree that shooting IDPA a few times a month will put me far ahead of most people that punch holes in paper standing at a shooting lane. I also am wearing normal clothes, which gives me a feel of drawing from concealment. No fishing vest for me. So I think that fact will help with my skill development as well.

Sponsored Links