How many folks still have their first 22 rifle?

This is a discussion on How many folks still have their first 22 rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; PgSqlQuery's thread, "Getting my 5 year old daughter a rifle... Opinions on the crickett?" got me thinking and reminiscing. My wife and I were talking ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many folks still have their first 22 rifle?

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

How many folks still have their first 22 rifle?

PgSqlQuery's thread, "Getting my 5 year old daughter a rifle... Opinions on the crickett?" got me thinking and reminiscing.

My wife and I were talking about teaching our 4 yr old son Sammy to shoot after he turns 5 in February.

The gun he will be using was my first rifle too. It is a Marlin Glenfield 10 bolt action .22 (will shoot shorts, longs, and LRs) that I went to the corner hardware store with my father to buy during the summer of 1963. I was six yrs old at the time, and had saved up lawn mowing and car washing money specifically for it. I think it was around $25, but am not sure. I still remember walking home from the store with my Dad. I was carrying the rifle at "shoulder arms" the whole six blocks. We lived in Orange, California at the time (how times have changed).

In the intervening 43 yrs it has taken about 1,000 tin cans, roughly 250 squirrels, about half as many rabbits, dozens of pigeons, one turkey, and numerous other varmints including a Boy Scout merit badge.

With the exception of some scratches, and my initials carved into the stock with a Boy Scout pocket knife (which I also still have), it looks and functions as good as the day I bought it. I estimate that it probably has over 50,000 rounds through it.

I am proud to pass it down to him. If I instill the same respect, and sense of responsibility in him that my father did in me, he may be able to pass it on to his son.
    Last edited by p8riot; August 17th, 2006 at 11:49 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

My brother gave me my first .22 rifle, from J.C. Higgins, on my 11th birthday. Shot it for 10 years, gave it to my brother for safekeeping when I went into the Air Force; he still has it. I do, however, have 18 replacements in my .22 rifle safe! My original will return home someday...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Assistant Administrator
    Well I must admit - my very first - a (too small) Browning pump - got sold due to dimensional limitations - I was too big for it and it too small for me That was followed by a suppressed Rem' semi - forget model but that went too.

I did tho many moons ago follow that with a Mauser Obendorfe bolt .22 which I still have - and hope my son will inherit along with other guns. So sorry - that was #3 . It dates back to the '20's I believe.

It is built like the Titanic and the chamber area would take at least a .270!!! Heavy gun but a joy to shoot. It took 134 rabbits one season when helping out a farmer with an infestation!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Well I must admit - my very first - a (too small) Browning pump - got sold due to dimensional limitations - I was too big for it and it too small for me That was followed by a suppressed Rem' semi - forget model but that went too.

I did tho many moons ago follow that with a Mauser Obendorfe bolt .22 which I still have - and hope my son will inherit along with other guns. So sorry - that was #3 . It dates back to the '20's I believe.

It is built like the Titanic and the chamber area would take at least a .270!!! Heavy gun but a joy to shoot. It took 134 rabbits one season when helping out a farmer with an infestation!

Now that is a classic rifle Chris! It should last several lifetimes...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I never got a .22 (I'm holding on to the family airloom .22/.410 combo until my cousin is responsible enough for it) But I still have my Daisy BB gun
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I still have my first .22. It is a Marlin Model 60, it is about 25 years old now, but still looks exactly like the day I got it, even though it has had thousands of rounds threw it. It still shoots well, have it sighted in for shooting shotgun shells at 100 yds.

It will not be the first gun my 3 year old shoots though. He will start out with my wifes great grandfathers springfield bolt action .22. It is still a good shooter, but spends most of its time in the back of the gun safe just waiting for the little one to give it some use in a couple of years.

After a couple of years with the bolt action, he will get to move up to the pump .22, then the semi-autos a couple of years after that.

Teach them slow, steady and with consistancy and they too will grow into good shooters and responsible owners.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yep, still have my Sears Model 43-103 I got in 1965. Bolt action, 18 rnd magazine, shoots all .22 cartridges. Never use it anymore, but wouldn't part with it either.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Yup still got that antique Winchester-Savage .22 single shot bolt action, and it still cuts the stalks down on weeds, and still takes a rabbit or two every year.
    Fear No Evil.

Yes i still have mine. J.C. Higgins

Single shot bolt action. It shoots as good today as it did when I was a kid.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

VIP Member
    I bought a rem nylon 66 when they first came out, cannot find a serial number, I guess latter ones have them. It had an olive drab stock and it slipped out of the unzipped case and hit the garage floor when the temp was about -20 degrees F. True to their word, Rem restocked it free. It now has a brown stock. The no serial number thing has always caused some concern at mil pass & id; but they get over it.
    I, also, have my Dad's Savage model 3B' it is a tack driver within peep sight ranges.

I still have my Remington Bolt action Model 511 setting in the back of my gun safe. It has been around since 1949 and shot a ton of 22LR. I take it to the range ever so often and it still shoots well, but not quiet as accurate as my Kimber (of Oregon) American with a 4 power Leopold scope setting on it.

I still have my Winchester Model 72 that I received when I was 9 years old. That was in 1951!! It still shoots well.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I still have my very first Marlin .22, and my Daisy Red Rider.
    Curry

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I still have mine. It was my Grandfather's. An old, old, old bolt-action Mossberg with a 15-round tubular magazine.

He told me he got it in 1926.

He got it by trading a pig for it. No kidding.

I'll have it as long as I have me.

My first .22 was given to me by my dad when I was too young to remember. He bought a gun for each of us the day we were born. It is a Ruger 10/22 Walnut stock and I love it. I used to load it up with banana clips and strike fear into the hearts of nearby rabbits. I still have it and plan on passing it down to my children. It still shoots as good today as it did when I first shot it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links