Kudos to Hi Point

This is a discussion on Kudos to Hi Point within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As of today's range session my carbine is up to 500 rounds. I had about five light strikes but each round fired the second time ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Kudos to Hi Point

As of today's range session my carbine is up to 500 rounds. I had about five light strikes but each round fired the second time through. This was also cheap Russian steel cased ammo so it was probably more an ammo issue than the gun.

I love shooting this thing. Today I absolutely tore the bullseye ring out of the target.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like your carbine has filled a nice little niche for you. Glad you're happy with it

I bought a used Hi-Point 995 yesterday and put 150 rounds through it today. I was amazed how accurate it was for such a cheap gun. It is definitely fun to shoot. I already have plans to take it back out next Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    High Point Carbines are a great value....and they work.
    If thats what you liked im happy for you,

I was just trying to share my opinnion with the op on another cheap carbine 9mm type which was the kelt tec sub.

I snagged a 9mm carbine and the only complaint so far is the first bullet not feeding. I am using lead round nose bullets and the frist round nose dives. Not every time it is frustrating. I wish it would feed more reliably.

tom

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom n8ies View Post
    I snagged a 9mm carbine and the only complaint so far is the first bullet not feeding. I am using lead round nose bullets and the frist round nose dives. Not every time it is frustrating. I wish it would feed more reliably.

tom
    That is a classic problem with the Hi-Point magazines. If you do a search, there are some articles that describe how to bend the lips so that they'll actually work. I cannot confirm or deny that this will fix it. I just quit using my C9.

rammerjammer was cracking me up with his preface, which seems to be typical of Hi-Point owners, who have allowed ourselves to be the objects of scorn and ridicule.
    Maybe one day we can all hold our heads high and say "You're damned right I own a Hi-Point and proud of it!"

But seriously, I love my Hi-Point in .45. I initially wanted a 9mm since a 15 round magazine is available from Promag, but lately any new Hi-Point is nearly impossible to find around here, so I bought the available .45 for $319.
    I found a handful of extra mags at a gun show and load up at home to give me more time shooting at the range.

I tried converting a 15 round 1911 magazine per a Youtube video and suceeded in screwing it up. In hindsight, I may have made it work had I been more patient. May try it again one day, or maybe just wait until somebody realizes the market for a higher capacity .40 and .45 magazine for us Hi-Point owners.

My aforementioned attempt at an extended magazine. I thought it looked kinda nifty, but it wouldn't stay in when fired.

I bought 3 Hi-Point 9mm for 109 dollars each. I gave one to my son and the other ones are in my tool box and in my boat. I do alot of night fishing in Florida and the gators are pretty thick where I fish. If one of my Hi-Point's gets wet or falls on the floor of the boat......no big deal. These guns are everything I wanted for a gun that takes abuse. They shoot and are pretty durable. What more can you get for just over 100 bucks.

Why take a four or five hundred dollar gun out and risk losing it in the water ?

VIP Member
    I recently got a HP 9mm carbine from a buddy for $75, he said it was having several issues
    for $75 I thought I'd give it a try,, still haven't shot it yet, but I think it was worth it

I got rid of my HP 9 pistol since neither me or the wife like the feel of it and used the cash for her G26 fund
    I too would not use them for SD but for introducing new shooters and/or for range fun not too bad
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have no personal experience with Hi-Point carbines, however I do with Hi-Point pistols. I had so many problems with mine that I eventually sold it, e.g. FTE, FTF, etc. It was extremely unreliable. I teach conceal carry classes and every single student who brought a Hi-Point has had similar problems. I no longer permit them on my range, and as an FFL, I won't sell them. This is my position based on first-hand knowledge. I don't intend for my comments to be inflammatory, but just as other posters in this thread have the right to express their opinions, so do I to express mine.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My brother and father had the chance to shoot the Hi Point 9mm carbine and each were duly impressed with the accuracy from such an inexpensive carbine.

Great plinker for the range and a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot than many other rifle calibers.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    Never had a hi point but have thought abt getting a 45 caliber just from the great comments here.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Very pragmatic review. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a pointless Hi-Point bashing thread.

For the purpose of fun and plinking, I've heard good things about their carbines. There are more than a few respected members hear that have a lot of fun with them. I decided to go with a Sub-2000, so that it could share mags with the Glocks, but again - I'm not planning on using it for my last stand.

'Hope you enjoy it.
    I wanted to go this way but can't get the Sub2000 for under $400+ in NYS at the moment. I walked out the door with a Taurus PT-99 and a Hi-Point 9mm carbine for around $500 and couldn't be happier. They are low on my list of SHTF guns, just fun to plink with. VERY accurate at 50 yds.
    JIm

My friend is a Forensic Firearms Analyst. He has seen hundreds of Hi-points in criminal cases. He says that no matter what condition the Hi-points come in to his lab in, they ALWAYS ALWAYS go bang.

He now works in Ohio (where Hi-points are made). He has met the owner of the company and says he is one of the most genuinely nice people you will ever meet. He has toured his production facilities and said he couldnt believe how low-tech they were made, but that the owner has his production down to a science to keep American jobs going and his costs reasonable to the consumer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links