Kudos to Hi Point

This is a discussion on Kudos to Hi Point within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me preface this thread by stating the following 1. I don’t recommend Hi Point firearms for self defense 2. I am not stating that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Kudos to Hi Point

Thumbs up Kudos to Hi Point

Let me preface this thread by stating the following
    1. I don’t recommend Hi Point firearms for self defense
    2. I am not stating that Hi Points are materially better than other firearms
    3. I am not stating that you need to buy a Hi Point.

Recently I bought a Hi Point 9mm Carbine off of Gunbroker. So far it has been a fun plinker to take to the range. I have 400 rounds through it with no problems. I bought it just for blanks and giggles and to use as a trainer for nephews/friends who have little experience around guns. I do not intend to use this carbine in a self defense situation. And it is certainly not the first gun in my collection that I would want to go for in a SHTF scenario.

That being said, for the $225 I paid for it on Gunbroker, it is meeting my expectations. I wanted a carbine that I could plink with cheap ammo. Other than 22 LR that pretty much leaves 9mm. It is a gun that (after safety training of course) I can put into the hands of a nube and not worry if they damage it.
    ` A. It is a Hi Point, not a refined firearm, and
    B. Hi Point has a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

My Hi Point carbine came well sighted in out of the box. I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot it any further than 75 feet but at those distances I can consistently punch out the bulls eye on the target.

I don’t plan to add any Red Dot sights, lasers or anything else “fancy” to it. I want a stock rifle with iron sights so that new shooters aren’t dealing with extras or things to make it easier, just simple traditional sights. The only add on I have done is to put on a cheap fore grip.

I have used the Pro Mag 15 round and 10 round factory magazines with no difficulties. I also use cheap Russian steel cased ammo in it because once again, its a Hi Point and I am not worried about excessive wear on it.

It is made of a cheaper metal and honestly it has a “stink” to it. I don’t know how to describe the smell, it isn’t horrible but there is definitely a cheap metallic smell.

Beyond that there is not much to complain about. It is a bit heavy, but for the price I paid for it can you really expect higher quality like that which you would find in the Berretta 9mm carbines? One shouldn’t expect the highest quality from a low end gun maker. Hi Point admits that they produce “value” priced firearms. The carbine reminds me of something the Soviets would have stamped out during WWII.

It is still early in the life and use of this gun, but if it continues to perform well into the future I won’t regret making this purchase.

I would recommend a Hi Point carbine to anybody who wants a fun/cheap plinker/trainer.
    bmcgilvray and 64zebra like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

If it works for you, and you are happy with it, it was a good purchase. Enjoy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I got a HiPoint 995 carbine in the safe,I put on an ATI aftermarket stock,and a bushnell red dot sight,Its not bad for plinking,but I have a lot of better rifles for SD
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First of all congrats on the new purchase... i own a High point 45 acp handgun, and love it at the range. My question to you is why are you making excuses for purchasing a high point? your thread has "built in" defense clauses???? Dont worry about what the haters and fan boys say... if its a great gun, its a great gun!! bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member

Thumbs up

'Very pragmatic review. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a pointless Hi-Point bashing thread.

For the purpose of fun and plinking, I've heard good things about their carbines. There are more than a few respected members hear that have a lot of fun with them. I decided to go with a Sub-2000, so that it could share mags with the Glocks, but again - I'm not planning on using it for my last stand.

'Hope you enjoy it.
    bmcgilvray and 64zebra like this.

VIP Member
    I own a Hi-Point 9mm carbine as well and I think it's a great addition for its 'fun to shoot' factor alone. I got mine a while back on sale, with a coupon and I had store credit; I paid so little for it that I actually thought they might grab me on the way out the door and accuse me of theft!

I've put countless rounds down the pipe and it's been a great little carbine. It is a little heavy and it isn't a sexy gun by any means but it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and, like you said, the lifetime warranty is great (and I've read that they really do stand behind their product exceptionally well).

I wanted to keep mine totally stock as well but I could never get used to the iron sights. I don't know if the rear peep aperture is just too small for me but I never could attain decent accuracy so I stuck a spare red dot I had on there and I've been happy ever since.

I will add that, mine at least, achieves a higher degree of accuracy with lower velocity loads, so while it is +P rated, I have found that it really suffers in the accuracy department when the FPS climbs too high. That's not to say that any other carbine will have the same issue, but just a heads up if you have some accuracy issues with any particular brand or load.

I purchased a 45 carbine and have tossed about 800 rounds as well, No problems yet! Agreed it's a bit heavy but the price is sweet.. I also agree the accuracy is darn near spot on out of the box with lower speed ammo. Over all it's a fun Carbine to shoot, I'm thinking of getting the 9mm as well.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Watch this:

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate test MAN VS HI POINT - YouTube

Hi-Point Pistols The Ultimate test Part 4: Judgement Day - YouTube

So what happened to that Hi Point? - YouTube

They certainly aren't what you'd call elegant, but...

They pounded a 3/8 bolt into the barrel and fired it and it didn't blow up.

They weren't able to blow it up until the pounded a 3/8 bolt into it and locked the action closed with a C-clamp.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Watch this:

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate test MAN VS HI POINT - YouTube

Hi-Point Pistols The Ultimate test Part 4: Judgement Day - YouTube

So what happened to that Hi Point? - YouTube

They certainly aren't what you'd call elegant, but...

They pounded a 3/8 bolt into the barrel and fired it and it didn't blow up.

They weren't able to blow it up until the pounded a 3/8 bolt into it and locked the action closed with a C-clamp.

Jim
    That was great. It would appear that the Hi-point is tougher than I thought....

Set aside from them being devastatingly ugly, I've never had a problem with Hi-Point products. And, given their cost, I'd say they're a great value . . . Especially for some basic range fun.
    bmcgilvray and BaconHunter like this.
    www.summitchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Let me preface this thread by stating the following
    1. I don’t recommend Hi Point firearms for self defense
    2. I am not stating that Hi Points are materially better than other firearms
    3. I am not stating that you need to buy a Hi Point.

Recently I bought a Hi Point 9mm Carbine off of Gunbroker. So far it has been a fun plinker to take to the range. I have 400 rounds through it with no problems. I bought it just for blanks and giggles and to use as a trainer for nephews/friends who have little experience around guns. I do not intend to use this carbine in a self defense situation. And it is certainly not the first gun in my collection that I would want to go for in a SHTF scenario.

That being said, for the $225 I paid for it on Gunbroker, it is meeting my expectations. I wanted a carbine that I could plink with cheap ammo. Other than 22 LR that pretty much leaves 9mm. It is a gun that (after safety training of course) I can put into the hands of a nube and not worry if they damage it.
    ` A. It is a Hi Point, not a refined firearm, and
    B. Hi Point has a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

My Hi Point carbine came well sighted in out of the box. I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot it any further than 75 feet but at those distances I can consistently punch out the bulls eye on the target.

I don’t plan to add any Red Dot sights, lasers or anything else “fancy” to it. I want a stock rifle with iron sights so that new shooters aren’t dealing with extras or things to make it easier, just simple traditional sights. The only add on I have done is to put on a cheap fore grip.

I have used the Pro Mag 15 round and 10 round factory magazines with no difficulties. I also use cheap Russian steel cased ammo in it because once again, its a Hi Point and I am not worried about excessive wear on it.

It is made of a cheaper metal and honestly it has a “stink” to it. I don’t know how to describe the smell, it isn’t horrible but there is definitely a cheap metallic smell.

Beyond that there is not much to complain about. It is a bit heavy, but for the price I paid for it can you really expect higher quality like that which you would find in the Berretta 9mm carbines? One shouldn’t expect the highest quality from a low end gun maker. Hi Point admits that they produce “value” priced firearms. The carbine reminds me of something the Soviets would have stamped out during WWII.

It is still early in the life and use of this gun, but if it continues to perform well into the future I won’t regret making this purchase.

I would recommend a Hi Point carbine to anybody who wants a fun/cheap plinker/trainer.
    Did you ever hear about the kel tec sub 2000?
    Got one for 190$ on sale brand new. fun plinker basically no mounting options

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    Did you ever hear about the kel tec sub 2000?
    Got one for 190$ on sale brand new. fun plinker basically no mounting options
    I have owned one Kel Tec and it was the biggeset POS I have ever handled. I abhor Kel Tec. If it works for others more power to them, but they are not for me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Set aside from them being devastatingly ugly, I've never had a problem with Hi-Point products. And, given their cost, I'd say they're a great value . . . Especially for some basic range fun.
    My problem is I can't recognize why a Hi-Point (pistol at least) should be considered any uglier than a GlockSIGH&KXDMSteyrM&PKelTec. Pretty is as pretty does but they're all ugly and all mostly resemble cordless drills.

Looks aside, this is a nice objective report. It's fun to be able to plink with something center fire that's bigger than a .22 rifle and this would fill the bill.

I knew a fellow that purchased one of these Hi Point 9mm carbines and it gave good function and acceptable accuracy out to 100 yards or so.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Heck, I have researched the carbines myself ,,,,, like everyone says they
    are heavy (in weight) but light (in price). I have been toying with buying
    several of the Hi-Points ,,,,, just to see for myself. I will buy a 9 carbine
    sooner or later. According to what I have read; the problems of feeding
    are usually because of the magazines,,,, and if you do not mind doing some
    range work on the guns (pistols included) you can make them work well.
    They make the 40 & 45 versions, too.

Lifetime warranty,,,, and an American owned company,, I like that.

High Point Carbines are a great value....and they work.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links