s&w 629 vs ruger alaskan?

This is a discussion on s&w 629 vs ruger alaskan? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; S&W 629 performance center .44 mag 2 5/8 or Ruger alaskan 454 casull 2.50..Looking at both of these fine revolvers really hard. No local shops ...

Thread: s&w 629 vs ruger alaskan?

S&W 629 performance center .44 mag 2 5/8 or Ruger alaskan 454 casull 2.50..Looking at both of these fine revolvers really hard. No local shops in the area have either in stock so ive been just going off looks in books and internet. Kinda tough to make a choice that way. I figure if i go ruger mise well get he 454 casull cause i like the fact that i can shot 45 colt and the big casulls. But i really like the way the smith looks with the satin finish and wood grip! Thing that makes me lean to ruger on the other hand is rugers are usually stronger and i feel the 454 is more versitile! Anybody own either of these guns that can expresse their opinion would be great to help me make a choice.

Welcome to the Forum! Great "first post" for us to ponder! No matter which revolver you end up with, photos are needed for sure.

I would be willing to own the Smith & Wesson. I would not be willing to own the Ruger.

I've had a blued steel Smith & Wesson Model 29 for over 30 years now and it's been everything I needed in a heavy caliber handgun, offering all the power one could want and durable, trouble-free service. If I need more "oomph" than a .44 Magnum I'll reach for a rifle.

Rather than being a positive attribute, the "built like a tank" reputation attributed to Ruger revolvers has exactly the opposite effect on me. I'm not interested in the design at all.

One can argue that one of these things ( Komatsu 830E Haul Trucks - Komatsu Equipment Sale ) is stouter than a common 1/2-ton pickup but I don't want one for a daily driver.

One can live with the Smith & Wesson's looks, smooth action, and fine trigger.

This Model 29 saw regular seasonal competition in hunter pistol silhouettes for some years, using heavy handloads, more shooting use than most revolvers ever see, and it never bobbled. It's stayed tight and in time.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I've got a S&W 2' Airweight that I've carried and shot for over 42 years and it's still going strong. Best gun purchase I ever made, only cost me $105.00 in 1970.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wow i wish they were that price today! Id own every gun out there. Yeah the smiths defanetly got the looks down i really wish i can see these 2 revolvers in person to compair them. I think either would be a fine choice for different and the same resons. I found alot of great reveiws on the alaskan online and alot of people swear buy it! As far as price goes local gun shop said 749.99 for the alaskan and 850.00 for the smith. They weight about the same 39.6oz vs 42oz. and they look to be exactly the same size. I know there are some lighter weight 44 mag revolvers out now from smith like the 329 alaskan back packer and night gaurd and such but their made with that scandium and heard rumors of them not being strong!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I love smiths and usually pic them over a ruger, but this is the one case the Alaskan wins in my book. The alaskan is a beast of a piece and you wont regret the 454!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I love smiths and usually pic them over a ruger, but this is the one case the Alaskan wins in my book. The alaskan is a beast of a piece and you wont regret the 454!!
    So far the only Ruger I would pick over a S&W of comparable size and caliber is the LCR. Given the choice presented in the OP it's the Model 29 hands down for me.

I love smiths myself! I love my 5oo S&W mag for handgun hunting. But for a compact carying situation for hikeing, fishing ,hunting sidearm, and maybe winter CCW with 45 colt i feel the 454 ruger is the ticket. Thats kind of the direction im leaning anyway!

A revolver like the one featured in this thread has distinct possibilities. New (to me) S&W revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My SW 29 Love it ! Accept no substitute !! LOL
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Sponsored Links