Guns as movie props

Guns as movie props

This is a discussion on Guns as movie props within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So me and a few friends were thinking about making some funny youtube videos. These aren't gun related videos, BTW, just general comedy. One of ...

Guns as movie props

So me and a few friends were thinking about making some funny youtube videos. These aren't gun related videos, BTW, just general comedy. One of them would require use of a gun as a prop. I know you can buy guns that are made for this, but as budget would be restrictive, we could always use a real one. Trouble is, it would involve pointing a gun at the other person. But we don't really want to break 2 of the cardinal gun rules about it "always being loaded" and "never point it at anything you don't want to destroy."

Most likely what we'd wind up using would be one of my replica BB guns, unloaded (both BB and CO2 cartridge). So that should be somewhat better than using an unloaded 9mm or such.

But it just got me to thinking about the situation. If I didn't have the replica BB guns, is there anything that a person might do to a real gun to make it more acceptable to use in this type of scenario?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    As realistic as the Airsoft guns look you may consider using one of them, just cover the orange muzzle with black tape and remove it when finished.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    So me and a few friends were thinking about making some funny youtube videos. These aren't gun related videos, BTW, just general comedy. One of them would require use of a gun as a prop. I know you can buy guns that are made for this, but as budget would be restrictive, we could always use a real one. Trouble is, it would involve pointing a gun at the other person. But we don't really want to break 2 of the cardinal gun rules about it "always being loaded" and "never point it at anything you don't want to destroy."

Most likely what we'd wind up using would be one of my replica BB guns, unloaded (both BB and CO2 cartridge). So that should be somewhat better than using an unloaded 9mm or such.

But it just got me to thinking about the situation. If I didn't have the replica BB guns, is there anything that a person might do to a real gun to make it more acceptable to use in this type of scenario?
    To me nothing says funny youtube video like a bright red squirt gun.

SuperStock_291-995B.jpg

Triple check that it's not loaded, no ammo anywhere in sight, I'd remove the firing pin from my sr9c, but I'm not sure that's an option with whatever gun you're using.

Well, "always" and "never" are generally pretty straightforward terms.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Buy a blue gun and paint it black.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Airsoft pistols look real enough. +1 for that suggestion.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

If you had a glock, XD, etc. you could take the barrel out and try putting it back together without it in. I'm not sure if it will work, it's got me curious though so I'm gonna go check on my XD. There's still a hole in the front for the "barrel".

I supplied some rifles for a friends project once. We just took the bolts out and shot from the left side of the rifles.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I wouldn't personally use a real gun in a comedy prop; there are some things you just don't mess with, and some things that simply don't "sit" well with you, and this is one of them. Go airsoft.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

check these guys out: freddiew's Channel - YouTube

they use airsoft for all their vids.. looks real to me!

flagging someone with an "unloaded" weapon just sounds like trouble.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Links