Ballistol, Breakfree CLP, Hoppes, RemOil...? Some help please.

This is a discussion on Ballistol, Breakfree CLP, Hoppes, RemOil...? Some help please. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I know hoppes no.9 is a solvent for accrued gunk and such, and RemOil is a lubricant, but I'm still iffy on a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ballistol, Breakfree CLP, Hoppes, RemOil...? Some help please.

So, I know hoppes no.9 is a solvent for accrued gunk and such, and RemOil is a lubricant, but I'm still iffy on a lot of the different options out there for maintenance for cleaning. Are there some products that are for rust and overall protection? And others for cleaning and removing residue. Are some things used for both? I picked up some model 10 trade-ins and I'd like to get a better handle on things. Also, I keep looking at the Mosin-Nagants every time I go the my LGS, but I have no idea what oils should be used for what tasks (let alone cleaning all that cosmoline- though there's tons about it online and each recommendation is different- or cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo). Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Get some Gunzilla and forget all of that other stuff!
    babarock and Bark'n like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

IBD
    Ballistol is very good for black powder guns to clean up BP corrosion......& it has smokeless applications too....as well a leather dressing, use for minor wounds to the flesh etc...check the label.

Kroil is excellent for loosening rusted/corroded parts

Hoppe's #9 is just a good old standby that us old shooters still use for bbl cleaning on a regular basis....I also use it to "hold" my BP cartridge guns 'til I can get back to shop for through cleaning by swabbing the bbl in the field and other powdered spots.....other stuff for 'tuff jobs like lead or copper fouling can be found out there.
    NRA LIFE-Endowment
    NRA Home Firearms Safety & Pistol Instructor
    WI-DNR Hunter Safety Instructor
    WI-FORCE
    SASS Range Officer

RemOil never impressed me for any task, and it's pricey. Haven't gotten around to trying Gunzilla yet, but I will someday based on reports here.

I keep things pretty simple. In general - bores and anything dirty with burnt powder get cleaned with Hoppe's No. 9. When the guns are field stripped for routine cleaning, I may use spray brake cleaner but generally not on plastic parts. Rotating parts (such as pins, e.g. the slide stop) get BreakFree CLP and sliding parts get either Slide Glide (pistols) or a regular grease (the Garand gets either Militech grease or an automotive grease). Steel guns are wiped down with a rag moistened with CLP. CLP would replace the grease in sub-freezing temps.

ARs (for me) fall into a special category and get Slip2000 for all lubrication points, out of deference to Pat Rogers.

Removing cosmolene is a major pain no matter what, and I've found that modest heat and patience work as well as almost anything you can buy for gross cleaning, followed by your favorite solvent (e.g., paint thinner) for detail cleaning to get that miserable stuff off.

If you shoot corrosive ammo, the first cleaner down your unchromed chamber and bore should be good ol' Windex, followed by your regular bore cleaner.

If all you had on your bench was 3-in-1 oil and paint thinner, your guns would probably survive quite nicely with little more attention than what the rest of us give 'em. High-tech products may save time or offer some additional goodness, but they aren't absolutely necessary to maintain modern arms.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I use Hoppes solvent and gun oil and a good whipe down with a cilicone rag to finish.. I have used Hoppes products since I learned to clean my guns as a youngster and it still works for me.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Gunzilla, from mouse guns to 155 mm Howitzers, one product does it all.

In 1981 the USMC introduced me to Breakfree and for 30 years, that's all I used. I finally tried my first bottle of Gunzilla. It is awesome and there's no turning back now!

Gunzilla is being used by some of the troops on all the hardware in Iraq and A-Stan with great reviews. Howitzers, MK-19 automatic grenade launchers, 20 mm Vulcan Gatling guns and even big naval guns.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i've tried many of the so called best cleaners and oils available including-Hoppes #9,Ballistol,Breakfree CLP,Rem Oil,Shooters Choice,Mobil 1,Weapons Shield,Hoppes Elite,M-Pro 7 and several others..M-Pro 7 is by far the best cleaner,this stuff gets dirty guns squeaky clean with no harsh chemicals..Ballistol is probably the best CLP,one product that cleans,lubes and protects,leaves a nice slippery film and is non toxic..good ol Mobil 1 is a great lube,never any failures using this stuff..
    Last edited by crue2009; December 22nd, 2011 at 03:36 PM.

I been using this product J-B Bore Bright as a final finish and have to say it is great nice bright barrels and easy to clean. I started using this on my SA revolvers since I shoot primarly lead out of them and now I use it on all my weapons. Like the product information says you can clean with your standard stuff then use this and the first patch through will come out black. You can get it at Brownell's
    Son remeber this and you will go far ........

"The gunfight is in the head, not in the hands."
    +++++
    "God is Great... Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy"
    +++++

I use CLP for "Everything",when I use a lubricant,as far as cosmoline,brake cleaner works fine,but take it out of the stock,it will eat away any varnish,and re-oil it,it will also strip all lubricant.CLP works best when you can let it set for at least 18-24 hours and let it penetrate the metal good.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I use Hoppes No.9 to clean out the crude & breakfree CLP for lube.
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Gunzilla, from mouse guns to 155 mm Howitzers, one product does it all.

In 1981 the USMC introduced me to Breakfree and for 30 years, that's all I used. I finally tried my first bottle of Gunzilla. It is awesome and there's no turning back now!

Gunzilla is being used by some of the troops on all the hardware in Iraq and A-Stan with great reviews. Howitzers, MK-19 automatic grenade launchers, 20 mm Vulcan Gatling guns and even big naval guns.
    Gunzilla on howitzers?? We really must take a closer look at that defense budget.

I used Hoppes #9 until I found Shooters Choice. I use their CLP. It works and it keeps the wife from complaining about the smell of the cleaner because it smells like citrus.

I have been using Hoppes #9 oil. I like it a lot better than remoil. Remoil seems to accumulate all sorts of nastiness in the weapon.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    After one of my son's first shooting sessions & we were cleaning the .22's he commented on the smell Hoppes No. 9, said he liked it. I told him his mom (a shooter) liked the scent & could readily recognize it. He looked at me puzzled and said " I don't think so."

A couple of minutes latter my wife walks into the gun room, stops shuts her eyes inhales deeply then smiles as she says "ahhh Hoppes".

The look on our son's face was priceless.
    Sharkman, gasmitty and marcclarke like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I just use Hoppes #9 or Hoppes Elite, whichever I have on hand, both work great for cleaning and I have never had a reason to complain. I have used CLP off and on as a "do it all" and I find that it accumulates to much crud, and is just too viscous. I use EWL Slip2000 for lube on all my guns.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IBD View Post
    Hoppe's #9 is just a good old standby that us old shooters still use for bbl cleaning on a regular basis....
    I dunno, I was weaned on the stuff so much that in my old days as the carefree bachelor I have been known to dab a bit behind each ear. Wonderful cologne. If I attracted a gal at a bar wearing that I knew I was in for a great time and it happened far more often than you'd think!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links