Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold? - Page 2

Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold?

This is a discussion on Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by peckman28 While I do agree with you that investment in capital assets creates wealth....mining for gold is a market-driven activity. If enough ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    While I do agree with you that investment in capital assets creates wealth....mining for gold is a market-driven activity. If enough people want it to make it economically viable to mine it then there is no problem. Hoarding gold (and, to stay on topic, ammo) is a rational act in the face of breath-taking levels of currency creation on the part of the governments of all rich nations. So, under better circumstances (ie, we had an actual gold standard, as 6,000 years of economic history demands), then yeah, hoarding gold would not be such a great idea for your average citizen. This is not to say that you should just buy up all the ammo and precious coins you can find and think your financial work is done. Keeping a supply of gold and ammunition is best understood as a hedge against the major economic problems that are still ahead of us, and I believe that a supply of both should be kept in everyone's portfolio.
    I disagree :)

Gold is a hedge against inflation, but so is owning nearly anything of actual value. The price of a loaf of bread goes up with inflation. This is why people should be making investments, and not just hedging. Hedging with gold doesn't create wealth, it freezes the value of whatever work you used to earn that gold. The bonus aspect of my suggestion is that it's game-winning suggestion - it hedges against inflation AND causes total wealth to increase. Gold mining is nearly a make-work activity (given its actual utility and current price). Buying gold just incentivises people to go and extract gold (with its associated fuel & ecological cost), and then places the money used to buy the gold into stasis.

It has a place in a portfolio, but only a teeny, teeny one mostly as a curiosity. The opportunity cost of buying gold is whatever else could be productively done with that money. Gold buying takes from the pool of capital available for investment and real economic growth.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

If things get to the point where the money is worthless, we won't be using gold and silver as units of exchange. We will be exchanging lead, in small quantities, at high velocity.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I disagree :)

Gold is a hedge against inflation, but so is owning nearly anything of actual value. The price of a loaf of bread goes up with inflation. This is why people should be making investments, and not just hedging. Hedging with gold doesn't create wealth, it freezes the value of whatever work you used to earn that gold. The bonus aspect of my suggestion is that it's game-winning suggestion - it hedges against inflation AND causes total wealth to increase. Gold mining is nearly a make-work activity (given its actual utility and current price). Buying gold just incentivises people to go and extract gold (with its associated fuel & ecological cost), and then places the money used to buy the gold into stasis.

It has a place in a portfolio, but only a teeny, teeny one mostly as a curiosity. The opportunity cost of buying gold is whatever else could be productively done with that money. Gold buying takes from the pool of capital available for investment and real economic growth.
    On a different forum this would make an interesting debate but for now....awesome, more gold for me. Merry Christmas!!!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Remember, gold is an economic dead-end. Buying gold and hiding it does NOTHING to create economic progress. In fact, it's a net loss, because it incentivizes people to go dig up gold (with the ecological concerns and wasted time) instead of doing something productive.
    Alright, so I just looked up the word "Incentivize" in the dictionary because I thought you had completely fabricated a new word to enhance a post (which I feel would be awesome by the way). I was actually in the middle of making fun of you in a new post about it until I said to myself, "I better look that up so I don't look like a numbskull." Longish story short, it actually is a - albeit a slightly "slang" - word according to the internet dictionary. Sorry about straying off topic, I just felt that furthering our education was important.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Yeah, it's ridiculous that I put that there. Once I start thinking in economic concepts, I think of economic terms. It's totally a jargon word. It's a hint that something is thinking in terms of economics, because "motivates" or "causes" are perfect substitutes. "Incentivize" implies some type of cash reward.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I agree with you Dragman as this just in time attitude we live in is very easy to disrupt.It only takes 3 days and you'll see
    food ,fuel starting to be affected.Paper money won't have any value in a real event stuff you can trade but you need to
    have your stash hidden and protected real well.I think the Mormons have it right they keep a years work of food on hand.
    I try too keep two months of food on hand.

Gold has many uses most of them will not madder when SHTF. You can eat it the rich do in some stuff only because they can. If you yank out your chunk of gold to try and buy something Bubba's going to take your gold with some steel.
    If you offer me a sliver of gold for my rounds that aint happening again I might just take the gold.
    Now stash enough away ride out the storm it maybe a big deal then. If my normal investments go to pot, if money is worthless then gold will do nothing for me either.
    Steel on the other hand will.

I have a friend who is well off.....he was one of the first suppliers of fiber optic cable to AT&T......and he has an amazing gun collection that he calls his hedge fund. I think, with his guns, he is prepared for whatever comes down the pike weather it be zombies or retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Gold has many uses most of them will not madder when SHTF. You can eat it the rich do in some stuff only because they can. If you yank out your chunk of gold to try and buy something Bubba's going to take your gold with some steel.
    If you offer me a sliver of gold for my rounds that aint happening again I might just take the gold.
    Now stash enough away ride out the storm it maybe a big deal then. If my normal investments go to pot, if money is worthless then gold will do nothing for me either.
    Steel on the other hand will.
    Which might work for a while, until you encounter someone like me with both steel and gold, and before you know it you're staring down some steel yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Which might work for a while, until you encounter someone like me with both steel and gold, and before you know it you're staring down some steel yourself...
    When it hits the fan being out or site and out of range will be high on the list. What is invested and not in your hands will already be gone.
    I pray we never go there but if need be most of the people in this family have been tested we will not be ready we already are.

VIP Member
    Preserve your health, then your wealth.

Be able to sustain a potable water supply. Stock whole grains, beans, and rice. You may need enough to last until your next harvest. Canned food goods, junk silver, and ammo will make good barter. You can't go wrong if you stock up on things that you'll normally use anyway.

If you have wealth, get it out of fiat denominated equities and into durable goods, including gold and commodities, or the means to produce them. Internationalize and diversify your assets before they're frozen by one location or one jurisdiction. If the government knows you have something, it can take it from you. Follow all laws. See FDR and gold confiscation. See Hitler and gun confiscation.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links