Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold?

This is a discussion on Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Infographic - Are Guns And Ammo The New Gold? | ZeroHedge...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    They are to me.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I wish I could afford ammo. hard to stockpile when your broke and have to shoot your stash.

could have worse problems.

They might not be the new Gold but they certainly are "on your side".
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I think that's a pretty bold statement, but I suppose in the right scenario (zombie apocalypse obviously) guns and ammo could be as precious as gold, food, money exc. That scenario or situation is not here though, and simply put, guns and ammo are still a precious commodity to only a few.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Ammo will certainly become a commodity if the SHTF ! Guns will be equal to buying a house in that case !
    Both have gotten awfully expensive, the prices of revolvers is outrageous ! Who would have ever thought a revolver would be the same or more expensive than the semi-auto ? Why is a Smith & Wesson Model 10 over $600 now ? 20 years ago we were buying these for about $379 ! I think the gun companies are gouging a bit because of the govt. trying to make things hard for them and folks who want guns. You can get a Glock for around $600 but a S&W Model 29 or 25 is $800 ! Even Ruger's bigger caliber revolvers are high these days, the Redhawk in 44 Mag or 45 LC goes for $770 ! Is the demand for the semi-auto the blame ? Is it because revolvers are all steel and cost more to make now ? I don't really know ? The only decent priced revolvers are the single action variants. The Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 357 or 45 LC is about $550!
    Not bad if your proficent with a thumb buster ! The double action is easier to produce but costs more ! Something's not right with this picture ? It seems like revolver lovers are being forced out of the box ? I understand that the new technology of the semi-auto trymps the revolver in many ways, but as all gun lovers know, there's just nothing like having a good, quality revolver !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

I don't necessarily agree with the premise that they are actually "the new gold"; I found the illustration of all the inflation we've suffered since Bush was elected to be more interesting than the idea that guns and ammo are the same as gold. Honestly, if (or when) we experience hyperinflation, I think you're going to encounter a lot more setbacks if you don't keep both weapons AND gold around. Gold and silver are pretty much universally valued, whereas the ammo is more of a "better" barter instrument/means of defending your stockpile of precious metals. In any event I thought it was a pretty interesting little article and thought I would share.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    Ammo will certainly become a commodity if the SHTF ! Guns will be equal to buying a house in that case !
    Both have gotten awfully expensive, the prices of revolvers is outrageous ! Who would have ever thought a revolver would be the same or more expensive than the semi-auto ? Why is a Smith & Wesson Model 10 over $600 now ? 20 years ago we were buying these for about $379 ! I think the gun companies are gouging a bit because of the govt. trying to make things hard for them and folks who want guns. You can get a Glock for around $600 but a S&W Model 29 or 25 is $800 ! Even Ruger's bigger caliber revolvers are high these days, the Redhawk in 44 Mag or 45 LC goes for $770 ! Is the demand for the semi-auto the blame ? Is it because revolvers are all steel and cost more to make now ? I don't really know ? The only decent priced revolvers are the single action variants. The Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 357 or 45 LC is about $550!
    Not bad if your proficent with a thumb buster ! The double action is easier to produce but costs more ! Something's not right with this picture ? It seems like revolver lovers are being forced out of the box ? I understand that the new technology of the semi-auto trymps the revolver in many ways, but as all gun lovers know, there's just nothing like having a good, quality revolver !
    I suppose it depends on what type of disaster we encounter. It will certainly be something I would not want to be without.

Buds Gun Shop has been selling trade-in model 10 revolvers for $269. I do notice though that newer revolvers are more expensive than the auto-pistols (except a lot of the 1911s), though I think that has more to do with the relative lack of demand for them. If you only produce a relatively limited amount of something it'll cost you more per unit to do so. Just my theory on that anyway...

Not as long as you can buy it at Walmart. Not until we can no longer walk into a store and put money on the counter, then it will be as valuable as gold.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Remember, gold is an economic dead-end. Buying gold and hiding it does NOTHING to create economic progress. In fact, it's a net loss, because it incentivizes people to go dig up gold (with the ecological concerns and wasted time) instead of doing something productive.

It's investing in capital assets that's the real hedge. Buying stuff that makes stuff that's useful to people. It's the hedge against inflation, and it's wealth creating. It helps survive the crisis and it helps reduce the crisis.

We want the world to be richer :) So it's important how we invest our excess wealth.
    shockwave likes this.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Remember, gold is an economic dead-end. Buying gold and hiding it does NOTHING to create economic progress. In fact, it's a net loss, because it incentivizes people to go dig up gold (with the ecological concerns and wasted time) instead of doing something productive.

It's investing in capital assets that's the real hedge. Buying stuff that makes stuff that's useful to people. It's the hedge against inflation, and it's wealth creating. It helps survive the crisis and it helps reduce the crisis.

We want the world to be richer :) So it's important how we invest our excess wealth.
    While I do agree with you that investment in capital assets creates wealth....mining for gold is a market-driven activity. If enough people want it to make it economically viable to mine it then there is no problem. Hoarding gold (and, to stay on topic, ammo) is a rational act in the face of breath-taking levels of currency creation on the part of the governments of all rich nations. So, under better circumstances (ie, we had an actual gold standard, as 6,000 years of economic history demands), then yeah, hoarding gold would not be such a great idea for your average citizen. This is not to say that you should just buy up all the ammo and precious coins you can find and think your financial work is done. Keeping a supply of gold and ammunition is best understood as a hedge against the major economic problems that are still ahead of us, and I believe that a supply of both should be kept in everyone's portfolio.
    bmcgilvray and Tzadik like this.

They will be.

As long as we have inflation things of real value will rise in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    They will be.
    Inflation causes things of real value to rise in price. The dollar goes down so the prices of goods goes up. Homes, old cars, gold and silver, even old collectables usually rise. The only other variable is supply and demand. 2% inflation causes prices to double in 16 years. The price of a home in 1970 (in ounces of gold) is still about the same in the ounces of gold for the same home today.

If you wanted to park a chunk of cash today for 10 years... where would you put it? Though huh?

37pack
    Tzadik likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've always been skeptical about the price of gold. For as far back as I could remember, until I think, we went off the gold standard, gold was $35.00/oz. Silver fluctuates in value. So what's to say gold won't decrease in value. How would you feel if you bought gold at 16 or 17 hundred dollars/oz. and over a period of a few years it dropped back down to under a hundred?

I started collecting guns in the 70's as I was convinced I would live to see the day new gun sales would be banned in this country and I thought, on the black market I could make a fortune. Not so. Gun dealers are like used car dealers. Buy a gun, take it out the door and it drops nearly half its value. I've sold some guns I purchased in the 70-80's that I barely got what I originally paid for them, and only because the new models have gone up in price. What always amazes me are the asking prices in the newspaper and on gun forums for used guns. In most cases you can by the same model, brand new, for the same or less. This leads me to believe that private FTF sales are for those who pay a premium because they cannot pass an FBI background check.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Just my .02 cents if stuff ever hits the fan I keep two things at my house GUN/AMMO and GASOLINE (which I rotate with gas cans keeping 20 gallons on hand) As far as food, water, gold, jewels, money and other stuff I say oh well cuz I can use my two things to get whatever I need to survive.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links