"War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home? - Page 2

"War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home?

This is a discussion on "War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by scott625 The military has its own factories Just one, I believe, the Lake City Arsenel. Up to $2B for US Army Munitions ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: "War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home?

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    The military has its own factories
    Just one, I believe, the Lake City Arsenel.

Up to $2B for US Army Munitions Orders to Alliant Techsystems

"The US armed forces have suffered from small arms ammunition shortages in recent years, and their reliance on the World War 2 era Lake City plant as their sole source for military small arms ammunition was a contributing factor."

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Now that we're all used to paying these high prices, why would they lower them for us!?
    Competition in the marketplace.

War in Iraq will never be over. The war in Afghanistan is still very real. Our company just got brand new M4 Carbines with all the fancy stuff on it, SAWs, M9s, Mk19s, and some new .50 cals for our deployment. We have received our mission orders (but of course that can change many times before getting to Afghan).
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

As long as I can buy primers and powder fairly reasonable then I can continue to shoot cheaper than I could buy ammo even if the market was flooded.I probably have more brass on hand than I will be able to reload and shoot in my lifetime.
    ecrist likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No; prices of ammo will get higher & continue to be a METHOD of
    gun control,,,,, make it so expense ,,,, few people can
    get it ,,,,, or at least less people will buy ammo and stock piles will
    be smaller.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The military has its own factories and doesn't affect the commercial sale of ammo. As for commodity prices, there are many other price influencing industries that would have more of an effect. Finally, if people will demand it the price will remain high.
    Yes but a couple of years ago we could not get .380 and 9mm Luger because the factories were involved in making ammo for the Military. Or at least that was their story anyway... Remember CTD selling .380 for $70.00+ per box? Wal-Mart was still selling it at $12.00 to $15.00 per box but pickins were slim. Same with Cabelas.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The military has its own factories and doesn't affect the commercial sale of ammo. As for commodity prices, there are many other price influencing industries that would have more of an effect. Finally, if people will demand it the price will remain high.
    Not completely accurate. Also, brass, lead and other materials all come from the same suppliers regardless of who does the ammunition manufacturing. All of it is affected by high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Competition in the marketplace.
    Great point! Capitalism and competition.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Interesting question! I live 6 miles from a Army depot that was shipping litterly tons of 9mm, .380, .40 and .45 as well as .223 and 5.56 to Iraq weekly. Of course they were shipping other stuff too like body armor but you have to question what effect this will have and something I never gave any thought to until this thread.

I wonder why would .380acp ammo be shipped to Iraq ??? From what all the internet bailistic experts say that the 380acp round is inadequate. Merry Christmas and God Bless

I think the price of ammo will most likely decline soon. I'm sure that with peace breaking out all over the place (yes I am being sarcastic) that Uncle Sam will want to unload some of the large 5.56 and 7.62 ammo surpluses he's built up over the last decade. I plan on snapping up some of each before we have to go back into Iraq and re-liberate a country we just gave 4500+ lives to liberate.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I wonder why would .380acp ammo be shipped to Iraq ??? From what all the internet bailistic experts say that the 380acp round is inadequate. Merry Christmas and God Bless
    From what I heard and read .380 ammo is manufactured on the same equipment as 9mm. So when 9mm is being produced .380 isn't. That makes .380 a rare item.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

The war in Afghanistan will keep the prices up the same as Iraq did. The troops may be drawing down some but that does not always mean operations will low any.

Was that right after our president was elected? If it was, then it was all demand related. I did some work with a company that made ammo and they could not produce enough.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I posed the same question to a LGS owner who also works 2nd shift at the depot. He was as clueless and you and I.
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    From what I heard and read .380 ammo is manufactured on the same equipment as 9mm. So when 9mm is being produced .380 isn't. That makes .380 a rare item.
    There was an article in Handgunner in 2010 (I think) about the center fire ammo shortage [then] that lead me to come to same conclusion.
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Just got 500 rounds of .40 S&W Winchester T's for $16.50 a box including shipping. It's usually $25+ per box of 50. It was the result of a cancelled contract. Don't know whether the contract was LEO or Fed. But the savings were nice.
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links