"War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home?

This is a discussion on "War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As my title asks, since the conflict in Iraq is over with (for now anyway) will this positively affect ammo prices and availability here at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: "War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

"War" in Iraq is over - Will this affect ammunition prices at home?

As my title asks, since the conflict in Iraq is over with (for now anyway) will this positively affect ammo prices and availability here at home? I only ask this because a lot of blame for shortages and prices of brass and copper has been placed on the humongous demands of the military.

Of course, I realize that Afghanistan is still on-going and may actually escalate now.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

I believe ammo prices will decline immensly!

I bought some 5.56 lake city ss109 green tip in a ammo can on stripper clips with 2 speed reloaders 420 rounds for 149$ bucks today.
    Not to bad considering its 65 grain with tungstill(spelling) steel penetrator

At walmart by the way

According to Iraq news...ammo should go down, but dynamite will be sky high. There goes my Southern rural fishing...

Yes, I just kidding...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I hope so. I really cut back a lot on range time when there was both poor availability and high prices.

Got to do a lot more shooting in the next few months.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Copper is still pretty expensive.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    It might go down some, but I doubt we'll see a big drop in prices for some time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    According to Iraq news...ammo should go down, but dynamite will be sky high. There goes my Southern rural fishing...

Yes, I just kidding...

Sure your kidding......and the checks in the mail........and Elvis is alive and well in Arizona too!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It might go down some, but I doubt we'll see a big drop in prices for some time.
    I agree. I think it will have an effect, but it will take a few years before we see a significant drop in prices because of the draw down in military operations.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Let's not forget we are still at war in Afghanistan, and increasing our military operations there. Then there is the matter of Iran. Once those two issues are resolved the government will slow its purchase of ammo and start to reduce stockpiles. That's when surplus hits the market and prices fall.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sure your kidding......and the checks in the mail........and Elvis is alive and well in Arizona too!
    Sorry he's not in Arizona.

From MIB I:
    Jay: You do know Elvis is dead, right?
    Kay: No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home.

As a side note he would have been 77 this January
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Now that we're all used to paying these high prices, why would they lower them for us!?
    DontTreadOnI, msgt/ret and ecrist like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Interesting question! I live 6 miles from a Army depot that was shipping litterly tons of 9mm, .380, .40 and .45 as well as .223 and 5.56 to Iraq weekly. Of course they were shipping other stuff too like body armor but you have to question what effect this will have and something I never gave any thought to until this thread.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Now that we're all used to paying these high prices, why would they lower them for us!?
    Exactly what I am thinking!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

nou

The military has its own factories and doesn't affect the commercial sale of ammo. As for commodity prices, there are many other price influencing industries that would have more of an effect. Finally, if people will demand it the price will remain high.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Let's not forget we are still at war in Afghanistan, and increasing our military operations there.
    According to what I am reading we are rapidly withdrawing troops from Afghanistan rather than "increasing our military operations there".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links