Got Fanned by a 12 ga at the range today

This is a discussion on Got Fanned by a 12 ga at the range today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost This thread makes me appreciate the joys of the Arizona desert. I have yet to see a cactus ignore the rules ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Got Fanned by a 12 ga at the range today

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    This thread makes me appreciate the joys of the Arizona desert. I have yet to see a cactus ignore the rules of firearm safety.
    Unfortunately I live in the 'burbs of a large city. I grew up in the the country - nearest town was six miles away and had a population of 315. I used to be able to go out our back door, sit down on the picnic table and plink away.

I admit, I am a bit envious of those that enjoy that luxury now. Good for all of you that have that opportunity - and peace of mind!

2. Remove Ads

Educate me. I thought "fanning" in relation to firearms was to hold the trigger down on a SA revolver and repeatedly, rapidly actuate the hammer with the palm of the off hand. Is it now also a term for sweeping someone with the muzzle of a firearm?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Educate me. I thought "fanning" in relation to firearms was to hold the trigger down on a SA revolver and repeatedly, rapidly actuate the hammer with the palm of the off hand. Is it now also a term for sweeping someone with the muzzle of a firearm?
    You are indeed correct. There's a fourth lesson. I used the term "fanning" as being synonymous with "sweeping." Had I been technically fanned in the truest sense of the word, I wouldn't be here right now.

No worries. Rock and Glock used it, too, so I was wondering if it was a usage I was unfamiliar with.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Another view. A lot of people and I mean a LOT are buying firearms. Many new people have not had any training on the use of a range and out of shear embarrassment fail to ask questions or read the signs posted. If new folks would take time to educate themselves about firarms safety, swallow their pride and seek the assistance of the RSO many things, like this, can be eliminated. If I go to an indoor range where I have never been before, I ask if I can observe and explain that I have never been "here" before and before shooting I want to know how things are to be conducted. In 99% of the cases I get a "sure! let me get someone to show you around". I also ask for a copy of their range rules (generally a single page with 10 to 20 or so Do's and Don't. New shooters get excited and all too often get in a hurry and let safty slip. Mostly unintentionally becaues they are new and overwhelmed (or nervous) and wanting to shoot while letting safety slip. General rules are, only one person in the booth, only one firearm in the booth (or if others arms are allowed, they must be locked open) all firearms pointed down range, shooter wearing PPE, and, no fast firing. Bottom line, be safe, shoot slow and ask for help if you have ANY questions.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like almost every range trip I've taken since moving to Indiana. This rarely happened back home in Tennessee for some reason but here, it seems to happen to me just about every time I go to the range.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Another view. General rules are, only one person in the booth...
    How are you supposed to teach someone if you can't be in the same lane? I'm very hands-on when I instruct, until I'm satisfied the student can handle the task at hand.

ETA--Also, I rapid fire at times as well. How are you supposed to practice a double tap or a follow-up shot if you are limited to 1 shot every 3 seconds (the standard at one of our local ranges)?
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    ETA--Also, I rapid fire at times as well. How are you supposed to practice a double tap or a follow-up shot if you are limited to 1 shot every 3 seconds (the standard at one of our local ranges)?
    the range I go to often allows rapid fire if you can first demonstrate you can do it in a controlled fashion. Depending on the range officers mood (ie if he likes you) its allowed if you rapid fire and keep them all in the 7(if he likes you) or 9(if he doesnt) ring of a B27 target at 10 yds.
    The other dept of conservation range i go to makes you to a 5 count. Ugh. Unfortunatly they are the only rifle range close to me but they have the same rules for their handgun range. You also arent allowed to use human shaped targets, only bullseyes.

I myself will not go to the busy public ranges anymore, you fellas nailed alot on the head. I got A local county menbership, close-gated to get in out .

Orthodoc--sounds fair to me. Allow folks to train, but ensure they go at their own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthodoc View Post
    the range I go to often allows rapid fire if you can first demonstrate you can do it in a controlled fashion. Depending on the range officers mood (ie if he likes you) its allowed if you rapid fire and keep them all in the 7(if he likes you) or 9(if he doesnt) ring of a B27 target at 10 yds.
    The other dept of conservation range i go to makes you to a 5 count. Ugh. Unfortunatly they are the only rifle range close to me but they have the same rules for their handgun range. You also arent allowed to use human shaped targets, only bullseyes.
    Your range sucks! I shoot an my land and if I go to a range it non-supervised. I do not like RSO's playing favorites and do the "good old boy netwoork" which I have seen all to often at ranges. People wonder why people that CC sometimes do not know what they are doing and it is because it isn't their fault, the ranges have idiotic rules like you can not draw from a holster. And the best targets to shoot at are human silloutettes. For my long guns I use hostage scenario pictures. Make you really focus when you aim. I use poster board and print out a scene on it so there are innocents in the background.

Excellent firearm safety video by Hickok 45.

Gun Safety - YouTube

I also prefer shooting on my own private property except for the few instances when I need the bench rests at the local (rural) outdoor range for critical sighting in of a new scope.

Yea, it's amazing how big the hole in even a .22 looks when you're staring down the middle of it

This is why I try to go during off hours to the range...and why I always choose the stall to the right.

VIP Member
    I've really cut back on my public range use.

Yesterday, I packed lunches and drove an hour with my son to get some very remote property. We spent the entire day training him on different guns, shooting technique, etc... It is such a more fulfilling experience when you're in control of your environment. He wasn't crazy about the hour drive before we went. Now he's begging me for when we can go back out there again.

Plus it's more fun to shoot stuff that blows up (water jugs, old fruit, left-over Halloween pumpkins...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links