Got Fanned by a 12 ga at the range today

This is a discussion on Got Fanned by a 12 ga at the range today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm just punching holes in my paper at 20 yards with my 10/22. A guy and a gal are in the stall next to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Got Fanned by a 12 ga at the range today

VIP Member

So I'm just punching holes in my paper at 20 yards with my 10/22. A guy and a gal are in the stall next to me. He's having trouble with a semi auto handgun - I couldn't tell what type it was. He asks the RSO to check it out. The RSO looks it over and asks him when the last time he cleaned it. The guy gives him a blank stare. The RSO politely tells him he needs to clean the gun and lube it - said it was very dirty and bone dry.

Now I'm thinking the guy is That Guy, but I continue to mind my own business, but I decide to keep monitoring the stall next to me. The RSO goes over to another set of stalls to check things out.

The guy then breaks out an 870 Express and some shells. I'm reloading my mags and suddenly I freeze. The guy has placed the shotgun sideways on his range table, and I see the business end through the plexiglass. It's pointed right at may hands and my stomach. I take three quick steps back. The gal quickly walks up to the guy and tells him to keep the shotgun pointed downrange. He gives her a "Oh, that's a good idea" kind of look and repositions the gun.

I'm not mad. Rather, I'm numb.

I tap the guy on the shoulder and politely but firmly tell him that rule #1 on the range is to keep the gun pointed down range. I tell him that if he had a ND my hands would have been blown off and my stomach ripped open.

He says "It wasn't loaded."

My eyes grow wide, as it is apparent I'm dealing with a man without a clue. I reply "A gun is always loaded."

He then apologies (sincerely) and he and the gal leave.

Needless to say my range therapy for the day is kaput and I pack up and leave. On the way out I speak to the manager and tell him his RSO's need to be on extra alert during the holidays, as this is the time a year a lot of newbies visit the range "to shoot some guns."

I learned several things:

1) I froze for a split second when I saw the shotgun pointed at me. Not good had the gun been in the hands of a bad guy that knew how to use it. Next time I need to act more quickly.

2) We need to double our SA at the range during holidays. Lots of out-of-towners entertaining themselves, and many are not that skilled, or just downright clueless.

3) The business end of a 12 ga is very, very big.

This is why I love shooting on my own private property.

On a related note, I was looking at some flashlights for the pistol I'm expecting in a few days , and at the Gander Mtn. I was at, they were all in the display case with the handguns. The salesman was helping some middle aged guys who wanted to buy a handgun. The way they were talking, they were trying to cover up that they really didn't know what they were talking about. Well, the one was checking out some kind of small frame Taurus when I see it's business end staring me in the face. I mentioned it and got something along the lines of "chill out, dude. It's empty." I don't know the guy behind the counter, but we do recognize each other from me frequently buying ammo and seeing what 1911s and Glocks they have occasionally, so after I have him a look, he asked the guy if he was going to buy or if he could put the pistol back in the case. I guess that was his way of not calling out the clueless guy and making me happy.
    JerryMac likes this.

A few years ago I read about a gun store clerk shooting a customer with
    an empty trade-in gun,,,,, so you DO NEED TO WATCH OUT
    for yourself. Clerk made mistakes 1) did not make sure gun
    was empty 2) fail to control the barrel direction,,,, only shot in
    the leg,,,,, clerk & customer both had divine intervention.

I wish I owned a place where I could shoot without having to watch the noobs all around.

When I took my training for RSO and Basic Pistol Instructor, my teachers made the point "the fundamental rules don't say sometimes do these things, they say ALWAYS ... safe direction, ALWAYS ... finger off the trigger, ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded, ..." you get the idea. By ALWAYS, when Murphy comes for a visit the chance that someone will be hurt or die is very very small.

I have drilled this into my 14 year old daughter to the point that at the range last week when one of the clerks was handing her a Kimber to look at she said "please open the slide and show me the gun is clear". I was so proud.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

I learned several things:

1) I froze for a split second when I saw the shotgun pointed at me. Not good had the gun been in the hands of a bad guy that knew how to use it. Next time I need to act more quickly.

2) We need to double our SA at the range during holidays. Lots of out-of-towners entertaining themselves, and many are not that skilled, or just downright clueless.

3) The business end of a 12 ga is very, very big.
    No need for me to add any story of my own here. You are aware of the things you learned, and what you plan to do with that knowledge. that's the best lesson you could have taken away from your day at the range. Of course, leaving the range alive and safe is not too bad, either.

Happy Holidays, brother!
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Forgive my noobness, but what does "SA" stand for in point #2 above? Thanks.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    Forgive my noobness, but what does "SA" stand for in point #2 above? Thanks.
    Situational Awareness - being alert to what is going on around us.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Good point about RSO's being more diligent because the holidays might be attracting infrequent shooters to the range.

I like shooting on my own property.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm glad the range I belong to is a private one. However, being outdoors and living in WI, there are times when an indoor range is about it weather-wise. That's when I get much more nervous. I tend to go to the indoor range only during their more down times.
    NRA Life Member

Glad your "event" turned out OK. A relevant warning for all of us this time of year.

I was at a local "Trade Day" in a small Texas community when I saw a G17 for sale. It was crowded, even though early in the AM to beat the heat. Kids and grandmothers all around too. I asked the seller if I could inspect it, he agreed and handed it to me. Keeping the muzzle down, I then dropped the mag which was empty. I then found a FMJ in the chamber. I handed him the FMJ with an amazingly nasty "you ignorant slug" look, growled at him to check them chamber next time, asked the price (too high) and left.

I thereafter saw many "lookers" fanning the crowds and "testing" it.

It could have been a really bad day for him.

My local indoor range is designed so the wall between the stalls will absorb a blast from a 44 magnum and not allow it to pass through the wall or ricochet. It definitely adds a bit of comfort when you have some nimrod next to you blowing holes in the ceiling tiles.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Only seen one ND at my local range--the bullet passed thru the guy's hand ricocheted off the shooting bench and sailed away. He was emptying his "empty" Sat Night Special. Fortunately for him, it was only a .22 Mag. Fortunately for everyone else, it was pointed downrange.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Having had similar experiences at public ranges, I quit going to them.
    I now pay good money to belong to a great private range...closely monitered, and probably 3/4's of the 400 members have taken the RSO course which is just another cloak of safety.

I miss not being able to shoot on my own property...maybe someday again...right off the back porch.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    This thread makes me appreciate the joys of the Arizona desert. I have yet to see a cactus ignore the rules of firearm safety.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I was at a local "Trade Day" in a small Texas community when I saw a G17 for sale. It was crowded, even though early in the AM to beat the heat. Kids and grandmothers all around too. I asked the seller if I could inspect it, he agreed and handed it to me. Keeping the muzzle down, I then dropped the mag which was empty. I then found a FMJ in the chamber. I handed him the FMJ with an amazingly nasty "you ignorant slug" look, growled at him to check them chamber next time, asked the price (too high) and left.

I thereafter saw many "lookers" fanning the crowds and "testing" it.

It could have been a really bad day for him.
    You may have saved a life that day!
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links