Keeping A Receipt To Cover Your Bases

This is a discussion on Keeping A Receipt To Cover Your Bases within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; thought I'd share this invoice/receipt I made when buying/selling/trading used firearms. I read that it was good to get basic info from the person you're ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Keeping A Receipt To Cover Your Bases

thought I'd share this invoice/receipt I made when buying/selling/trading used firearms. I read that it was good to get basic info from the person you're doing business with to cover your butt when it comes to getting/selling second hand. Just keep it in your records to prove who you sold/bought the firearm to/from and when.

what do you do when buying/selling/trading a used firearm?
    Last edited by samefly; December 26th, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
    ccman likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Similar bill of sale plus North Carolina requires you to either obtain a purchase permit or a copy of the buyers CCP.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    In CT you got to do paperwork with all pistol transfers private or at a gun store permit needed as well. Long guns no paperwork needed, I do the paperwork to get it out of my name.
    I save all paperwork if I buy or sell.
    Last edited by ccman; December 25th, 2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Similar bill of sale plus North Carolina requires you to either obtain a purchase permit or a copy of the buyers CCP.
    They require that the purchaser has one. FFL's have to keep a PPP, but I don't. I'll compare their license to their CCP or PPP and we are done.

I just don't see a reason to go over and above the law. What some see as covering their butts, I see as getting me deeper into the mess. I'll do my best to make the sale legal. But once it's over, that's it. I don't want to be involved in the matter any more than to say, "I'm not required to keep that kind of info, so I don't."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    They require that the purchaser has one. FFL's have to keep a PPP, but I don't. I'll compare their license to their CCP or PPP and we are done.

I just don't see a reason to go over and above the law. What some see as covering their butts, I see as getting me deeper into the mess. I'll do my best to make the sale legal. But once it's over, that's it. I don't want to be involved in the matter any more than to say, "I'm not required to keep that kind of info, so I don't."
    14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

It is unlawful for any person or persons to receive from any postmaster, postal clerk, employee in the parcel post department, rural mail carrier, express agent or employee, railroad agent or employee within the State of North Carolina any pistol or crossbow without having in his or their possession and without exhibiting at the time of the delivery of the same and to the person delivering the same the permit from the sheriff as provided in G.S. 14‑403. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
    GS_14-402

The law does not differentiate between a dealer or individual.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, in a private sale, you take the money and hand over the gun. Unless you suspect/know the person cannot legally possess a firearm or handgun, it's perfectly legal and no paperwork is required.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If it's someone I know I don't do anything paperwork wise. The most I'll do usually is a handwritten reciept. Some of the guns I've bought were paperwork free, one or two looked at my permit, rarely someone had written a reciept.

I do keep a log of every gun I own (Personal Firearms Record form downloaded from the ATF site) as well as keeping a digital record and picture, and a copy on CD locally and in another location. I also have a Gmail account that I email with serial numbers and pics that I can access from anywhere.
    ccman likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Although not required I use a similar form as documentation of any of my private sales or transfers of firearms. I haven't yet needed any CYA related to any of my transactions but the documentation makes me feel a little more comfortable.

I make a record of what exactly was sold and add copies of applicable driver's licenses and CCW permits...buyer and seller both get copies...add to file!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    If it's someone I know I don't do anything paperwork wise. The most I'll do usually is a handwritten reciept. Some of the guns I've bought were paperwork free, one or two looked at my permit, rarely someone had written a reciept.

I do keep a log of every gun I own (Personal Firearms Record form downloaded from the ATF site) as well as keeping a digital Precord and picture, and a copy on CD locally and in another location. I also have a Gmail account that I email with serial numbers and pics that I can access from anywhere.
    Same for me.. I only sell to people I know that have their permit. I do the bill of receipt if it is a gun I bought for a dealer. If I bought it from an individual with no proof that I ever owned it then I will not fool with paperwork when I sell it. I only cya on guns that are tied to me by paperwork

Texas doesn't require it for a FTF sale. Only has to be sold to a person not prohibited to own. I don't do paperwork at all.
    Most of my gun sales are to and from friends, so I know beforehand they are OK. If a sale is to someone I don't know, I go with my gut. If it tells me not to sell, I simply don't sell.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In FL, in a private sale, you take the money and hand over the gun. Unless you suspect/know the person cannot legally possess a firearm or handgun, it's perfectly legal and no paperwork is required.
    Ditto in Oregon. I guess in some ways, we're still the wild west out here. :)

Luckily we don't have to do a Bill of Sale in Georgia. I'd never do one nor complete one for an individual selling me a gun. I have a GWL and a Driver's License. They are more than welcome to check out my ID and GWL, but that's as far as it goes.

Never even considered it.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by SARR001 View Post
    Texas doesn't require it for a FTF sale. Only has to be sold to a person not prohibited to own. I don't do paperwork at all.
    Most of my gun sales are to and from friends, so I know beforehand they are OK. If a sale is to someone I don't know, I go with my gut. If it tells me not to sell, I simply don't sell.
    Same here as well, no paperwork required. It's only if you feel you need it for your own peace of mind. Never done any. One advantage is the CC licenses, because if they have a valid current permit, then you are more assured they are legal to own the gun.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links