Range Suicide (Dec 26th) , Kansas .... 2nd one of the month.

This is a discussion on Range Suicide (Dec 26th) , Kansas .... 2nd one of the month. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is the 2nd one in the city, in the last month. One happened at one range, now another at the other range on Dec ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Range Suicide (Dec 26th) , Kansas .... 2nd one of the month.

Range Suicide (Dec 26th) , Kansas .... 2nd one of the month.

This is the 2nd one in the city, in the last month. One happened at one range, now another at the other range on Dec 26th (12:15 p.m.). Problem with this one was.... 1) another gun rental situation, 2) place had about 20 people in there, including kids down to age of 9 yrs old.

Individual reports are ... he had tried to commit suicide twice before, and he did 2 shots down range and then one to the head.

I'm beginning to wonder if people are doing this at ranges, so their family will be notified, and their families are not having the grief of finding them. If someone is determined to do it, they will, but I sure wish they would quit going to the ranges to do it.

Police: Wichita man fatally shoots himself at range | Wichita Eagle

Police: Wichita man fatally shoots himself at range
    By Tim Potter

WICHITA — A 51-year-old Wichita man apparently committed suicide by shooting himself in the head today at an indoor shooting range near 13th and Oliver, police said.

The shooting occurred while the Bullseye Shooting Range, at 14th and Terrace, was full and while the man was alone in a shooting lane that is separated from other lanes by reinforced concrete walls, police Sgt. John Hoofer said. “There were a lot of people there,” Hoofer said.

The shooting was reported at about 12:09 p.m., according to emergency dispatchers.
    The man was taken in very critical condition to Wesley Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Hoofer said.

The investigation indicates that the man was at the range for the first time and that he rented a handgun and received instructions on how to safely use the gun. The man had shot several times at a target before shooting himself in the head, Hoofer said.

Man shoots himself at Wichita range | CJOnline.com
    Man shoots himself at Wichita range
    Posted: December 26, 2011 - 7:13pm

About 20 people, including children as young as 9, were at the range at the time.

It’s the second self-inflicted death at a Wichita shooting range this month. In the first case, a man shot himself in the head at The Bullet Stop. That death was ruled a suicide.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

I can think of a lot better way to kill yourself than a bullet,not only that,but it's not gonna traumatise a bunch of innocent people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, if you want to kill yourself, and you don't own a gun, the range is a perfect place to get one. Sad story, but at least he didn't take a bunch of innocent people with him. Too bad they have to pick a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

While I don't condone suicide, I can see the desperation some face in todays times. I see it most every day.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's happened here in FL several times also, I think twice at the same range. Christmas is a particularly stressful time for many and the suicide rate goes up then. I glad he didn't decide to take out others.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 27th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    It is particularly depressing this time of year, when so many people are with their families and the one really depressed person has no family to spend time with. I'd give anything to be able to stop one suicide and help someone find enough hope and joy in this world to turn their life around.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    While I don't condone suicide, I can see the desperation some face in todays times. I see it most every day.
    Sorry, the only reason I could possible see that would justify it would be terminal illness with no hope of cure. Loss of home, loss of job, loss of any material thing isn't justification to kill yourself.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sorry, the only reason I could possible see that would justify it would be terminal illness with no hope of cure. Loss of home, loss of job, loss of any material thing isn't justification to kill yourself.
    I do not think NYC is saying suicide is OK, just that he sees and understands why more and more people are choosing that option. I do too.
    bigmacque and RMS like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I do not think NYC is saying suicide is OK, just that he sees and understands why more and more people are choosing that option. I do too.
    Same here, sadly.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Happened twice in South East Wisconsin last year. In these situations the guns were rented at the indoor range.

Probably an attempt to make it look like an accident so his family can get the life insurance.

Or... maybe it was an accident, first time shooter and all.

I hate to see these long term solutions to short term problems, but it IS better than shooting others first...then shooting themselves.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Make it look accidental? I don't know about that. If I recall correctly in one FL case, a woman rented a gun, shot her son, and then shot herself. I've seen someone shoot themself at a range thru carelessness, but that usually results in a hand wound (like the incident at my range) or such rather than a headshot. Still, no one knows except the one who pulls the trigger...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My ex wife's father took a shotgun to the head and killed himself... what grief it caused the family... truly you never completely heal. My prayers go out to the families that lost their loved one, and i pray that those with depression find happiness in their lives. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    It gives one pause to think about the many blessings in this life. No matter how forlorn hope may be, time will bring joy you'll see.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links