Just got a Remington 597 for Christmas...

This is a discussion on Just got a Remington 597 for Christmas... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's in .22 LR. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this rifle. I've been reading about it a bit online and have seen ...

Thread: Just got a Remington 597 for Christmas...

Just got a Remington 597 for Christmas...

It's in .22 LR.

I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this rifle. I've been reading about it a bit online and have seen consistent complaints about jamming and reliability issues. From what I can tell, it's from the magazine. I believe I have the 3rd generation magazine.

Is there anything I should know?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Basic semi-auto from remmy. maybe compairable to marlin semi-auto. Small aftermarket for changeing parts. Find what ammo it likes and enjoy. Try not to start with cheap bulk. Get some cci, federal 711b, agulla. Stay away from remington 22 ammo. Dirty and has some production issues.

Go to RimfireCentral.com - they have a sub-forum just on the Rem 597, with all sorts of info on running the gun, feeding it, etc. It's a great site for anyone who's moderately interested in shooting rimfires. Enjoy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I picked up the same rifle with my Christmas money, I have been beating around the bush on picking up a 22 for plinking and got a good deal.
    took it out yesterday and ran about 300 rounds through it. I had one round jam in the mag, cleared the round, reloaded it, failed to fire... just a bad round. every other shot went down range without issue.

I did see that there is an aftermarket hammer around that drops the trigger pull considerably. I may have to look into one, but though heavy I thought the let off to me crisp

Edit, I have a scope comming for mine, ordered it last night. settles on a Leapers UTG 4-16x 40. I will have paid $150 out the door for the rifle when my mail in rebate comes in, so I was not going to spend the same on a scope. Heere is a link if your interested.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-...iflescope.html

Tack driver rifle.

You will want to get a Volquartzen extractor and one of their target hammers.
    Also, be careful when tightening the two guide rods - only go as far until they stop, then back off about 1/16 of a turn.
    This will prevent the rods from bowing and binding your bolt. Mine came overtightened from the factory.

Ammo... well, mine likes everything but the Remington bulk stuff.

Enjoy your 597! It is fun to shoot.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Tt seems like remmington 22 ammo is just not worth wasting money on. Seems to be the cause of many rimfire problems.

My wife's 597 does fine with federal bulk, mini mags and cci standard velocity. It does have a little bit of trouble with blazer ammo. The Volquartson extractor should take care of that. I wouldn't even bother to change it but I can usually find the blazers on sale for 14-15 for a 525 rd box verses 19 a box for the federals. There is alot of good info on the 597's at rimfirecentral.com You shouldn't have any problems getting 3/4" groups at 50yds from a benchrest,it may do better than that. Wal-mart is the cheapest for extra factory mags. The Simmons 22mag scopes are good for the money

Links