I fired my new Ruger LC9 the other day...

This is a discussion on I fired my new Ruger LC9 the other day... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And with every magazine load, it would jam/stick/not load at least one bullet. I would fire off a shot or two, and then with the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MGeitner

Thread: I fired my new Ruger LC9 the other day...

I fired my new Ruger LC9 the other day...

And with every magazine load, it would jam/stick/not load at least one bullet. I would fire off a shot or two, and then with the next trigger pull, click and then nothing. I have to pull the slide to release the bullet.

Opinions? Do I need to send it back to manufacturer or store I purchased it from? Is it just a user error (mine)? If so, ideas how to remedy? My husband seems to think it's just the cheap ammo and wants to try another kind. I hope so. I'd be kinda bummed if I have to return my new gun because it's defective. Thanks for listening and any advice you may have for a n00b. :)

2. Remove Ads

Most likely it was user error or cheap ammo. Try different shooters and ammo before you send it back

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It takes a firm grip to ensure these smaller pistols function properly. The slides don't have the mass that full-size autos do. I'd say eliminate all ammo/shooter possibilities first. If it does it with different shooters and different ammos, then there may be a firearm issue indeed. It did get a good cleaning and lube prior, right?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Fire some round 50, 100 though it cheap stuff. some old 115 ball
    then get some good stuff and it should be fine Auto's often like to eat some rounds better than others.
    The 115 JHP and 124 JHP feed well.

VIP Member
    Hard to say with the information we have. Does the slide go all the way forward and lock, just not firing when the trigger is pulled? Is there an indentation on the primer of the extracted round? If the slide is going full forward and there is an indentation on the primer I doubt it is a shooter problem. Try another brand ammo and see if the problem persists, if it does send it back. If not don't use that brand ammo again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you for the advice. Now I have a checklist of things to do before I send it back and call it defective.
    -Clean gun (it was new, so I didn't think about that and was not told I should)
    -Use different ammo
    -Hold gun with firm grip (which I thought I was doing, as best as I could)
    -Have my husband fire it some more (he got a few shots off, and he had the same problem as I did)

And @archer51, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are asking about. I will check with my husband and see if he knows about "indentation on primer of extracted round". All I noticed is that they were popping out when I pulled back the slide. It was fully retracting and going forward as far as I could tell. Subsequent shots fired fine, so it makes me think some of the ammo were duds, but really, I'm not knowledgable enough to know for sure.

If you hear a "phutt" and the gun does not kick as normal, do not fire it until you check it completely, could have one stuck in the pipe. Try different ammo and you should find some that works well, if not, send it back.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Ruger LC9 - failure to fire

I just got one for Christmas. Fired it Monday. After about 50 rounds, I squeezed the trigger, saw the hammer drop and ..........nothing. Cleared the unfired round. After a while it did it again. I took a close look at the primers on the unfired rounds. The dent was light and misshapen and had some flakes of brass on the surface. Hmmm. In total, it happened three times. Later, I did some internet research and found that Ruger will fix this issue. I called them today. They asked for the serial number and they are sending me a return shipping label. Should take about three weeks to turn it around because of the Holidays. Normally two weeks they said.

Call the factory and see what they tell you

Quote Originally Posted by MGeitner View Post
    I just got one for Christmas. Fired it Monday. After about 50 rounds, I squeezed the trigger, saw the hammer drop and ..........nothing. Cleared the unfired round. After a while it did it again. I took a close look at the primers on the unfired rounds. The dent was light and misshapen and had some flakes of brass on the surface. Hmmm. In total, it happened three times. Later, I did some internet research and found that Ruger will fix this issue. I called them today. They asked for the serial number and they are sending me a return shipping label. Should take about three weeks to turn it around because of the Holidays. Normally two weeks they said.
    Yes, this exactly, except mine started the problem right away in the first one or two magazine loads. Now that I think about it, I have a round in my jacket pocket that I picked up off the ground after ejecting it. I will take a look at it now that I know what to look for. Thanks so much!

Call Ruger at 928-541-8892, choose the Arizona office. Wait for a customer service person. Have your serial number handy. Tell them about the "fail to fire" problem. They will take care of it.
    snowcake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MGeitner View Post
    Call Ruger at 928-541-8892, choose the Arizona office. Wait for a customer service person. Have your serial number handy. Tell them about the "fail to fire" problem. They will take care of it.
    Wanted to thank you for the info. I called Ruger the other day and they sent me a pre paid shipping label for repair at no charge to me! I'll be sending it in this coming week after the holiday.

Links