Out of Touch

This is a discussion on Out of Touch within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine called to ask my opinion. He was about to purchase a Rossi .357 and wanted my input. I told him that ...

Thread: Out of Touch

Out of Touch

A friend of mine called to ask my opinion. He was about to purchase a Rossi .357 and wanted my input.

I told him that IMHO it was a bad choice. My memories of Rossi guns from quite a while back brought visions of pot metal barrels and loose swing arms to mind.

Now I'm second guessing myself. Taurus used to be an inferior product as I was getting into firearms also. It is now a fairly good product.

What say? Is Rossi still inferior or has it "arrived"?

VIP Member
    I don't own a Rossi, but I am skeptical. Revolver cylinders have to be machined and fitted precisely to insure proper lockup and alignment.

I've seen some cheapo semi-autos that run like a scalded dog. I suspect a revolver is where quality becomes a higher requirement.

I have a Rossi M88 that I bought new on a whim 25+ years ago. After all these years I have probably put less than 100 rounds through it. It locks up tight and the trigger is about what you could expect for a $180.00 gun. I haven't shot it enough to form a real opinion. It seemed to handle standard pressure 38 Spls OK. I doubt I'd buy one now and I'm not sure why I keep this one.
    Attached Images

Administrator
    They are still inferior. You might get lucky and get a good one, but its more likely you will get junk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Obviously he is wanting a cheaper way out. Tell him to save his money and get either a used or new S&W or Ruger. He'll be much happier in the long run.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have a Rossi 462.....while its a nice enough gun, if I had it to do over again, I would spend the extra on a SP101 or a Smith. Trigger on the Rossi is not the best, but the gun
    looks smokin' cool. That counts for something, right?
    FYI, Rossis are now made by Taurus.

"Said I never had any use for one.....never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quiqley

Rossi made by Taurus? That is interesting.

Thanks all for the input.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Taurus or Rossi in either case I think it would be better to spend a tad more for a much better firearm. Retained value means a lot too.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links