Out of Touch

This is a discussion on Out of Touch within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine called to ask my opinion. He was about to purchase a Rossi .357 and wanted my input. I told him that ...

Thread: Out of Touch

Out of Touch

A friend of mine called to ask my opinion. He was about to purchase a Rossi .357 and wanted my input.

I told him that IMHO it was a bad choice. My memories of Rossi guns from quite a while back brought visions of pot metal barrels and loose swing arms to mind.

Now I'm second guessing myself. Taurus used to be an inferior product as I was getting into firearms also. It is now a fairly good product.

What say? Is Rossi still inferior or has it "arrived"?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't own a Rossi, but I am skeptical. Revolver cylinders have to be machined and fitted precisely to insure proper lockup and alignment.

I've seen some cheapo semi-autos that run like a scalded dog. I suspect a revolver is where quality becomes a higher requirement.

I have a Rossi M88 that I bought new on a whim 25+ years ago. After all these years I have probably put less than 100 rounds through it. It locks up tight and the trigger is about what you could expect for a $180.00 gun. I haven't shot it enough to form a real opinion. It seemed to handle standard pressure 38 Spls OK. I doubt I'd buy one now and I'm not sure why I keep this one.
    Attached Images

Administrator
    They are still inferior. You might get lucky and get a good one, but its more likely you will get junk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Obviously he is wanting a cheaper way out. Tell him to save his money and get either a used or new S&W or Ruger. He'll be much happier in the long run.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have a Rossi 462.....while its a nice enough gun, if I had it to do over again, I would spend the extra on a SP101 or a Smith. Trigger on the Rossi is not the best, but the gun
    looks smokin' cool. That counts for something, right?
    FYI, Rossis are now made by Taurus.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Rossi made by Taurus? That is interesting.

Thanks all for the input.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Taurus or Rossi in either case I think it would be better to spend a tad more for a much better firearm. Retained value means a lot too.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links