Buying Used Firearms

This is a discussion on Buying Used Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have always been reluctant in buying used firearms other then from people that I know and trust. I guess my question is how do ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Buying Used Firearms

Buying Used Firearms

I have always been reluctant in buying used firearms other then from people that I know and trust.
    I guess my question is how do you know if they are "clean" from any wrong doing? Is there some way to check the serial number before buying them? I always see great deals at Buds or Gunbroker ect. but I am still leary on buying from them. God forbid I ever have to use my weapon, dont want the added grief of finding out it was used to commit a crime. Any info would be great !!

Regards,

TC

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    From what I understand, everything from Buds and Gunbrokers has to go through an FFL. If you were to get a "hot gun" I would think that showing the FFL paperwork saying that you purchased it legally and in good faith that it wasn't stolen you should be fine. Then again you might always get that one crazy ADA.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Is there some way to check the serial number before buying them?
    In reality, probably not.

Most police agencies do not have the time or the resources to check them out. If you have a friend on the local PD, you might get lucky.

I guess my question is how do you know if they are "clean" from any wrong doing?
    You dont.

God forbid I ever have to use my weapon, dont want the added grief of finding out it was used to commit a crime
    How would anyone know that if you had the gun? The only crime where a number on a gun would come into play is theft. If it ever came up, you'd just have to tell the police where and who you got the gun from....after they seized it.At most, you'd be without the gun that you payed for.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If bought from any place online, they ship to your FFL. When you go to pick it up, they'll find out if it's stolen or has been used in a crime, that law enforcement is aware of, when they key in the serial number. Worst case, it gets confiscated right there at the FFL, and you contact seller for your money back.

If I remember correctly there was a case posted here on the forum a while back where that happened to someone. The gun was stolen and the FFL held it for law enforcement to pick up. They spoke to the buyer, but that is it. They took the gun, and the buyer contacted the seller to get his money back.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Yet another reason that copies of transactions can be important.
    If you can show when it was purchased (hopefully, after the crime date), you won't have a problem.
    wmhawth likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Stolen Gun Search Tool

Try these. haven't used them but know these databases exist.

HotGunz Stolen Gun Search
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I could not get any city, county or state agency to run a check for me. They say they just don't do that. I have a few LEO friends who also say they cannot do it for me because if their bosses found out, they would get in trouble.

For guns that I have bought on gunbroker, I kept a print out of the 'sold' auction page as well as each one had to go through an FFL. I only have two guns that were received FTF and thus 'no papers'; but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if it were a good deal (as long as I 'feel good' about the seller).
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I wonder if these sites collect any information on serial numbers entered? I noticed that you have to signup. Perhaps I am not thinking this through?
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links