Long Range Shooters? - Page 2

Long Range Shooters?

This is a discussion on Long Range Shooters? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; MY SAVAGE 260... shillen barrel all nitrided SAV1 trigger TacOps bolt handel Mcrees DBM stock /10rd mags ERGO grip accushot mono pod EGW 20 moa ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Long Range Shooters?

MY SAVAGE 260...

shillen barrel
    all nitrided
    SAV1 trigger
    TacOps bolt handel
    Mcrees DBM stock /10rd mags
    ERGO grip
    accushot mono pod
    EGW 20 moa base
    Burris rings
    Vortex 6.5x20 Viper

Sponsor
    I just got off of the phone with an 84 year old gunsmith in New Philly, OH. He was recommended to me as one of the best in the area. He is going to have a look at my .243 and, hopefully mount a set of 35mm rings or a Weaver rail to accept the new LRS1. It has a set of 30mm see through high rise rings and an older economy Weaver variable range scope now.

Ring,
    Are there any QD weaver mounts that are of high enough quality to let me reliably switch from the Mauser to my AR15? I realize this would require re zeroing but if the mount is repeatable it should just be a matter of noting the individual zeros and verifying after resetting, right? Or am I asking for too much when it comes to longer range precision?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

My Savage at 480 520 yards

My Savage FP w/MacMillan Stock @ 520 yards:
    hostage target_520 yds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I just got off of the phone with an 84 year old gunsmith in New Philly, OH. He was recommended to me as one of the best in the area. He is going to have a look at my .243 and, hopefully mount a set of 35mm rings or a Weaver rail to accept the new LRS1. It has a set of 30mm see through high rise rings and an older economy Weaver variable range scope now.

Ring,
    Are there any QD weaver mounts that are of high enough quality to let me reliably switch from the Mauser to my AR15? I realize this would require re zeroing but if the mount is repeatable it should just be a matter of noting the individual zeros and verifying after resetting, right? Or am I asking for too much when it comes to longer range precision?
    Larue makes some great mounts

Sponsor
    Well, I heard from the gunsmith today. My .243 is in good shape and doesn't "need" any work. However, getting a weaver rail installed will end up costing nearly half of what I would have to pay to get an entry level dedicated long range gun. Either the Remy from atctimmy or a new savage Accu trigger model. I'll be leaving the Mauser alone. I guess I need to do a little more research on which would be the best cartridge for me and go from there.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Ring,

swfa.com "bobro" mounts... better then larue same price..

I'm with Ring on this. One other thing, to get good, you have to put in a lot of practice. The .243 will let you do that without developing a flinch like the stouter cartridges.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my H-Bar is 1/7 twist and with 68gr i go out to 500 yards

my rem 700 in 308 (Burris glass)was blue printed when my friend made 2 of them.
    it goes out to 1000 yards, sub 8" groups, when i do my part.

not to undermine actimmy, but both are for sale locally though i'll be offering
    them with shipping if they don't sell soon.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sponsor
    Well, I see that Tim sold my, er.. his 300wm. I found a good deal on the Remington 700 SPS AAC SD Tactical, .308win and grabbed it.

I'm in the process of reinforcing the fore end and will be re bedding it in hopes of stiffening the Hogue stock up a bit. If that doesn't work I guess I'll be looking for a B&C or McMillan stock soon.

Oh Yeah, the LRS1 had to go back to Bushnell for warranty work out of the box. The focus was inop.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Well, I see that Tim sold my, er.. his 300wm.
    I almost feel guilty. Maybe we can all meet sometime and shoot the 700s. A few rounds down range will surely clear the air.

Congrats on finding another fine rifle though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links