Colt ser # question

Colt ser # question

This is a discussion on Colt ser # question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Det. Special with the full length ejector shroud and Pachmyer grips. I am the second owner as I bought it from a ...

Thread: Colt ser # question

Colt ser # question

I have a Det. Special with the full length ejector shroud and Pachmyer grips. I am the second owner as I bought it from a fellow deputy in 1997. His original purchase was in 1995...he had documentation to show me...I don't have it now. But all the manuals etc have a copyright of 1994.

The ser. # has a "D" up front and and "R" at the back. According to the what I found online the ser# dates to 1978 but nowhere does it show a "D" in any of the ser #'s.

Called Colt, they said it was from 1978 but she had a hard time finding it.

Now I know it's a "D" frame revolver but why would a frame built in 1978 be stored until being built for sale in 1995?

Nowhere can I find info about the "D" preceeding the ser #.

Also what year did Colt go to the rubber grips from the factory instead of the wood?

My apologies for such a newbie question.

Ken

JD
    Administrator
    Colt brought back the DS for a little while back in the 90s, perhaps it was a 70's frame that never was put into production until the 90's reissue?

Sponsored Links