First AR

First AR

This is a discussion on First AR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys. I've been doing some shopping and am somewhat torn. On the lower end of a decent AR budget and would appreciate some input ...

Thread: First AR

First AR

Hey guys. I've been doing some shopping and am somewhat torn. On the lower end of a decent AR budget and would appreciate some input on a new rifle. My choices are between the Bushmaster Superlight Carbon 15 with the Bushnell red dot, or the mini-14 tactical rifle. Any input would be appreciated.

There should be threads about both of these on the first page of the defensive rifle section. both should give you plenty of information.

If you're looking to plink, BM wil work for you. If you're looking for it to be a home defense rifle and you plan to shoot a lot of ammo over time, pay for quality...look at Daniel Defense, Bravo Compnany Manufacturing (BCM), Noveske.

Do a search for user jonconsiglio, our resident black rifle guru....and read his posts.

Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions. See post #16
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

sgb
    Better than either of the two choices you listed above OP.

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine $619.99

Finally, a complete Palmetto Stae Armory rifle ready to go for one low price. Our M4A1 Standard Carbine starts with one of our Chrome-lined CMV barrels in the versatile M4A1 profile, mated to our forged aluminum upper, and finished off with standard handguards and A2 Flash hider. The forged lower is built with our 6 position Mil-spec size buffer tube and stock, Standard PSA lower parts kit with A2-style grip and aluminum trigger guard. It comes with one 30 Round D&H PSA Magazine (where allowed by law) so all you have to provide is the ammo to start having fun.

Barrel: 16", 4150 Steel, M4A1 profile, 5.56 NATO chamber with a 1:7 right-hand twist , chrome-lined, High pressure tested and magnetic Particle Inspected, carbine-length gas port, and M4 feedramps. Barrels are finished off with a taper pinned, f-marked, front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards, an A2 flash hider, and are phosphate coated to Mil-specs.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo.

Lower: These forged lowers are quality made using material is 7075-T6 and are marked "MULTI" for caliber. Finish is Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2. Mil-spec-sized buffer tube has 6 adjustment positions, is finished with a Palmetto State Armory M4-style stock and has a staked castle nut. Standard carbine buffer is Black anodized and has the PSA logo on the face. The standard PSA combat trigger has a smooth pull and clean break.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    SGB gave you a great product at a great price. My advice is to buy what he told you.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

or the mini-14 tactical rifle.
    nooooooooo!

Forgot about the PSA rifle. That thing is a deal!!

If only i didn't just buy a revolver...

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Better than either of the two choices you listed above OP.

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine $619.99

Finally, a complete Palmetto Stae Armory rifle ready to go for one low price. Our M4A1 Standard Carbine starts with one of our Chrome-lined CMV barrels in the versatile M4A1 profile, mated to our forged aluminum upper, and finished off with standard handguards and A2 Flash hider. The forged lower is built with our 6 position Mil-spec size buffer tube and stock, Standard PSA lower parts kit with A2-style grip and aluminum trigger guard. It comes with one 30 Round D&H PSA Magazine (where allowed by law) so all you have to provide is the ammo to start having fun.

Barrel: 16", 4150 Steel, M4A1 profile, 5.56 NATO chamber with a 1:7 right-hand twist , chrome-lined, High pressure tested and magnetic Particle Inspected, carbine-length gas port, and M4 feedramps. Barrels are finished off with a taper pinned, f-marked, front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards, an A2 flash hider, and are phosphate coated to Mil-specs.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo.

Lower: These forged lowers are quality made using material is 7075-T6 and are marked "MULTI" for caliber. Finish is Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2. Mil-spec-sized buffer tube has 6 adjustment positions, is finished with a Palmetto State Armory M4-style stock and has a staked castle nut. Standard carbine buffer is Black anodized and has the PSA logo on the face. The standard PSA combat trigger has a smooth pull and clean break.
    Thanks for this post. I have been looking for a good, first, and relatively cheap AR. Whenever I can scrounge up the funds, this looks like the perfect place to start.

Definately giving the PSA a good look. Seems to be much better than the first two choices. Appreciated.

The PSA is a good deal.

If you have the time to save up a bit more, a Colt 6920 can be had for about $990.

The Colt will hold its market value better, but I'm sure either will get the job done.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Not sure what your budget is Harlan but give Rock River a look i have had a RR LAR-15 SBR for about five years and it has done me right .

Sponsored Links